unRaid and your electric bill
Very cool. In today's economy,..I think this information is extremely helpful, since no one likes surprises on any bills they receive.
My Freenas server, Phenom II X2 250, 16GB ram, 450W PS, 6x2TB hard disks. It idles around 65W when I used my power meter. It ramps up to about 90W when the HDDs aren't sleeping and up to about 140W when it's cranking out. I leave it on 24/7.

Good thing I live in the hydro electric capital of the world, British Coluimbia Canada where electricity is 6.8 cents/KWh. Tongue

Anyways, $30 a month seems high, as suggested I would use a kill-a-watt or similar device to measure your actual power usage.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2012-06-11, 17:37)wsume99 Wrote: My server idles at ~40w. If you assume $.11/kWHr (which is about the US average) that equates to ~$40/year. If I were you I'd invest in a kill-a-watt meter before you make any changes. I would certainly think that you would see much less power use from a newer system. One of the best chips for a cheap, low power unraid server is the intel celeron G530.

(2012-06-11, 18:50)Tycho91 Wrote: Why not switch to WHS v1? Can run on 1gb, no graphics card and can use LightsOut for powermanagement?

Interesting set of numbers. I'll make a note of this Low power CPU Smile
(2012-06-15, 10:03)crashnburn Wrote:
(2012-06-11, 17:37)wsume99 Wrote: My server idles at ~40w. If you assume $.11/kWHr (which is about the US average) that equates to ~$40/year. If I were you I'd invest in a kill-a-watt meter before you make any changes. I would certainly think that you would see much less power use from a newer system. One of the best chips for a cheap, low power unraid server is the intel celeron G530.

Interesting set of numbers. I'll make a note of this Low power CPU Smile
I just want to clear up any confusion - I have an E5500 CPU in my server today NOT a G530. If I were going to build another server today I'd use a G530 and I'm certain that it would draw less power than my current setup.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unRaid and your electric bill0