MiniPC Prebuilt help PLEASE!
Hello-

I am very new to XBMC and all this, but I will be going "off the grid" lol cable wise in a month, So I am trying to get a system set up that will work the best possible. I am techno savvy but not looking to build anything ( would be willing to upgrade ram and ssd if needed).

This is what I have:

LED 1080 tv
Bose 321 series iii
Roku (older HD version)
PS3
Harmony 1100 Remote

This is what I want the system for:

use xbmc
Stream movies from online, Netflix, even though I have 2 HD ways to do it now, i would like to simplify if possible , also youtube, and diffident sites such as ABC NBC, etc etc.

..MAYBE add tv tuner so i can record, but should I even bother with this?

I want Windows based. I know people dont like it here, but I am used to it, and like it.

Want to be able to do some light web surfing ( hard to see when surfing now with laptop or tablet hooked up, so just basic, like when searching for a movie online or something)

Email would be good

I am not too big into Downloading and storing movies. I watch them once, USUSALLY unless I am amazed, and thats it, so dont need very much storage for that.

Only have a few hundred songs,

maybe a thousand pictures (both songs and pics are on cloud though)

My main reason for wanting a mini pc is to do things the ps3 and roku cannot, like watching content from certain websites. Or if i do decide to DL a movie, I can easily serch and DL it. Basicly to move most stuff into one place instead of having to fool with several things) I want to move my roku in another room) BUT I have to say I am NOT a heavy HT person. BUT i am very impatient and hate choppy pictures or slow rendering.

I am looking at these 4 mini's.. Am I on the right track or should I get a barebones and add (to be around the same price) Oh thats another thing $400 is really too much for me to spend but what other options do I have?

ASUS 1012P ($375 Ebay macmall of all places)
ASUS 1501P ($379 refurbed ebay)
ASUS 1021 ($394 ebay)
Lenovo q180 (although this has better specs, people say it does a poor job??) ($399 ebay)

Thanks for your help and patience with my ignorance!
(2012-06-11, 19:06)polo4tlb Wrote: Lenovo q180 (although this has better specs, people say it does a poor job??) ($399 ebay)

Thanks for your help and patience with my ignorance!
Not according to these guys- my new Lenovo Q180 XBMC HTPC, post #7.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I am not sure where you are located but I see the Q180 here for $315 not $399.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883108711
lenovo IdeaCentre Q180 (31102KU) Desktop PC
Intel Atom D2700(2.13GHz)
2GB DDR3
320GB HDD Capacity
AMD Radeon HD 6450A
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Also comes with the Mini Handheld 2.4G N5902 Keyboard & Mouse All in One
You can order it directly from their website with different options too- IdeaCentre Q180 Compact Desktops - Shop - Lenovo (US)
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for the link, I went there and almost bought one because theres a sale on right now, BUT I really cannot justify spending 400 on a pc that i wont use all the time. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative? What about all these refurbed dells on buy.com etc, they are not mini but some are sff. only thing is it will take more power and have a fan noise. Any ideas of what i shoudl try to do? I really need to figure out a PC based sytem pretty soon!

Thanks
Ok that didnt get any responses. ANYWAY, i went back to buy it and the sale was off..lol Well on the model I wanted. I found another without the remote which I found on ebay. OK.. My question is, would this pc handle a tv tuner card? and if so which one??

Thanks
Im kind of turned off to the Lenovo now. I am really frustrated because I dont know what to get. A mini or not? What are yall using? Please give me some ideas. thanks
I can't really deliver what you want at your price point -- either premade or custom built. $319 was a really good deal w/ Windows included. You're going to have to scour Craigslist, eBay, etc.
well I was willing to pay 400, I was going to buy it then the sale went off. Then I decided on the lesser model (hd everything the 400 did minus remote/keypad which I found on ebay) still came to about 400. BUT after reading more about the lenovo it seems people had problems. SO I am wondering do I even want to go with the MINI or should I look into older options? For example. Would this work?:

Specifications: Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-core 2.3GHz processor Memory: 2048MB DDR2 Memory Hard drive: 750GB Optical drive: DVD+/-RW Drive Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit) Pre-installed Video card: Integrated NVIDIA Quadro NVS 210S graphics Sound card: Integrated Sound Audio Number of Bays:

I know I would have to add HDMI and more memory BUT would something like this handle what I want to do?

What are the MIN spec one should get to watch HD through online like netflix, streaming, etc. Also flash, and such. NOT looking for 3d or anything like that. That really doesnt matter to me, BUT I want a Choppy free HD experience. Can an older Pentium 4 do the job? What is the MIN video card, etc etc??

Sorry to ask so many questions, BUT I really appreciate your help!!!!

ALSO, after scouring the web It still seems the ASUS 1501p seems to be better than the lenovo q180. Again, not sure the MINI is my route. seems everyone has moved away from them, non I can see made in the last year or so except a few.

Thanks
Now I see this. I dont care for ACER but it looks nice??

Acer Revo L100

any thoughts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MiniPC Prebuilt help PLEASE!0