Linux XBMC 12.0 Alpha2 - Passthrough audio not working correctly
Hey guys,

I have been trying to get pulseaudio's passthrough audio working, i have gotten XBMC 12.0 alpha 2 installed so i can use AE (thanks guys for that) but now im still seeing another problem i had encountered before.

When i play standard def content etc that uses the regular audio output its fine, however when i select a file that requires bitstreaming (DTS or DD for example) i get a video stream that plays faster than it should (somewhere between 2-4 times roughly) and no audio.

Having a look at the debug log, im seeing XBMC open the file, find ac3 audio with FFMPEG, start a VDPAU decoder session, start to stream AC3, it detects passthrough is needed, opens the audio passthrough, creates the audio stream as pass-through, then it starts spitting out a bunch of these:
09:51:22 T:140320511592192 DEBUG: CheckPlayerInit - dropping packet type:2 dts:375000.000000 to get to start point at 709000.000000

and after a few of those it does this:
09:51:22 T:140320498923264 DEBUG: PulseAudio: Stream failed
09:51:22 T:140320498923264 ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the stream but it failed

Then after that a LOT more of the above dropping packets while it trys to get to the start point.

After it seems to get to the start point, it switches and starts outputting these:
09:51:22 T:140320498923264 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_RESYNC(32000.000000, 1)
09:51:22 T:140320498923264 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:32018.718000, should be:96000.000000, error:63981.282000

With the second error repeating with incrementing numbers forever until i stop the file.

Anybody got any idea, from what i have read the video plays faster when the sample rate is stuffed up and that seems to be the case.

I have uploaded the full log from the moment i start the file here:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=3507

If you need the full log from the start please let me know, i can produce it pretty quickly, it just ends up pretty big and exporting it to pastebin is a little more time consuming (dumping from my linux box to a windows PC that is not at the TV to upload it)

Any help would be really appreciated, i'm so close to getting proper pulseaudio with passthrough working, i dont want to revert to crippling PA and just pointing XBMC direct to the hardware again.

Oh 1 final point, i have pointed XBMC to the pulseaudio device for both regular and passthrough, however i cant change passthrough to anything other than pulseaudio defaults.

When i set standard audio to pulseaudio defaults SD content still works, I'm 99% that i have pulseaudio configured to default to the HDMI output anyway (i have turned off the onboard sound) but if anybody knows a command to confirm this (i have tried with pacmd but cant seem to see a way to see the current default, only to set one) that would be good.

Key info you may need if you have not seen my other post about the GIT problem:
Fedora 17, up to date with kernel 3.4.0-1.fc17.x86_64
NVidia GT520, running module version 295.53
XBMC 12.0 alpha2, compiled myself today from the zipball on github.
Quote:Due to bugs in the 295.x nVidia drivers, it is recommended that users use the 290.x versions. If you are having issues on 295.x, try downgrading your driver as a troubleshooting step.

Have you tried downgrading the nVidia drivers? Huh Big Grin
ok now i feel like an idiot Smile

Where did you see that?

I will give it a go when i get home, hopefully 290 will compile correctly on my box, fedora is using a really new kernel version that various packages dont support.

I'll let you know how it goes!
ok having a quick look there is acutally a new nvidia module out 2 days ago, v295.59.

I will try that one first, failing that i will try rolling back to 290.x, though from my reading that could be a problem with my kernel.... Sad

I'll post how i go when i get home and try it!
has anyone tried any of the nvidia 302 beta's with a revo yet?
(2012-06-13, 10:02)sej7278 Wrote: has anyone tried any of the nvidia 302 beta's with a revo yet?

I've just tried 295.59, no luck there.

I'll try out the 302 now then try a downgrade, sej i assume a revo is a PC from what i have read (dont know anything about it), but im trying this on a SFF desktop PC.
(2012-06-13, 14:59)abeeson Wrote:
(2012-06-13, 10:02)sej7278 Wrote: has anyone tried any of the nvidia 302 beta's with a revo yet?

I've just tried 295.59, no luck there.

I'll try out the 302 now then try a downgrade, sej i assume a revo is a PC from what i have read (dont know anything about it), but im trying this on a SFF desktop PC.

OK i have tried 302.07, it would not compile correctly, i'll keep trying that.

I also tried 290.10 and it did not work at all, wont compile, throws errors about kernel version and lack of headers etc (it expects either 2.4 or 2.6 kernels only)
I've still had no luck getting 302.07 to compile, i get the feeling its an early beta...

Anybody have any other ideas? the logs seem to indicate something but i dont know enough to decode it completely....
by revo i mean acer revo 3610, a nettop popular with xbmc'ers.

what do you mean about compiling 302 - do you mean getting the kernel modules to build for your kernel? what linux are you using?

i think 302 is a pretty early beta yes, although they're into the second version of it now, they seem to be concentrating on 295
(2012-06-14, 13:22)sej7278 Wrote: by revo i mean acer revo 3610, a nettop popular with xbmc'ers.

what do you mean about compiling 302 - do you mean getting the kernel modules to build for your kernel? what linux are you using?

i think 302 is a pretty early beta yes, although they're into the second version of it now, they seem to be concentrating on 295

Hey Sej,

I'm using Fedora 17 (64 bit), there is no package available from rpmfusion for nvidia's 302.x modules, so im downloading the installer from nvidia (which compiles the kernel module as part of the install but is failing)

Yeah unfortunately the 302.x nvidia kernel module doesnt seem to like something on my system, throwing an error similar but not exactly the same as the "dont support your kernel version" sort of deal (though this is at compile time, but its an error about kernel headers etc)

Damn im so close, all i need is pulseaudio passthrough working and im done....

I might just have to revert to direct audio and wait for a bit, i'll give it a few more days though Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 12.0 Alpha2 - Passthrough audio not working correctly0