Looking for an Unmanaged Switch
While this is not as fun as buying PC parts, its still something that can have a major impact on my XBMC setup. I also know there are a ton of "New Egg Ninjas" here that can help me find an awesome deal.

That being said, I'm starting a new job soon where I will be able to work from home. I'm really looking forward to this. The problem is the laptop that will be issued to me has wireless disabled for security reasons. I have Uverse for my isp and I'm currently using their 2Wire gateway. It has a handful of ports on the back and they are all occupied. I don't want to disconnect/reconnect cables anytime I have to bring the laptop home for work. I would like to keep this future proof in case I move and want to wire in the entire household. With this in mind I'm thinking I'll need at least 16 ports.

As I said, I have a 2Wire gateway that I will connect to the switch. Everything else (xbmc, server, XBox360, AVR, Work Laptop, etc...) will be connected to the switch. The 2Wire has wireless all ready so I'm not concerned about wireless on the switch.

Here is what I'm looking for:

unmanaged switch (I want this to be plug and play)
Does not need wireless support because my gateway has built in wireless
gigabit speeds for fast file transfers between my server and XBMC box. (Both have gigibit lan ports).
16 ports (minimum)
No preference for desktop / rack mount etc.
budget: close to $100 USD or lower
I'm in the US so no overseas seller.

I've found this TP-Link Switch all ready. Is there a similar/better option for a cheaper price?

Thanks
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Look at the trendnet green switches, low cost and excellent performance and durability in my experience.

This one right here would fit the bill nicely:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-GREENnet-...B0044GJ516

you wont find a 16 port gige for much cheaper unless possibly a no-name brand which I wouldn't suggest.

You could go with 2 8-port switches (although then you'd really only be getting 14 usable ports) but the trendnet 8port gige switches are on slickdeals quite often for $20-$30. I'd go for the ones with the metal casing instead of the plastic casing.

Example of a 8-port slickdeal:

http://slickdeals.net/f/4710298-TRENDnet...-Switch-30
Hi Smile

A college of mine has this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6833156251

Then he needed another 2 ports so the he bought it again.... and wired them together... Cat 6 to each other a 1 foot cable.... or was it 3" don't recall... anyways it works....

I personally have the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6833127325
but the 5 port version.... its wonderful.... plug and play.....

Sorry can't help much anymore....
(2012-06-10, 17:46)gabbott Wrote: Look at the trendnet green switches, low cost and excellent performance and durability in my experience.

This one right here would fit the bill nicely:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-GREENnet-...B0044GJ516

you wont find a 16 port gige for much cheaper unless possibly a no-name brand which I wouldn't suggest.

You could go with 2 8-port switches (although then you'd really only be getting 14 usable ports) but the trendnet 8port gige switches are on slickdeals quite often for $20-$30. I'd go for the ones with the metal casing instead of the plastic casing.

Good stuff..... for the Trendnet.... 16 port....
Looking more at that tp-link switch you posted. Great price for a 16-port, spec-wise looks good, not familiar with the name but notice it does have a 5-year warranty which is decent for a cheap switch.

Now if you want to spend a little more you could go for an HP procurve switch that has a lifetime warranty. You'll spend a closer to $150 for one of those and those were the switches I always used to buy but started getting the trendnets for their cheaper price and worked well.

http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-procurve-1410...08196.html
Heh, now that you got me looking, this seems like a great deal:

http://www.buy.com/prod/zyxel-gs1100-16-...16459.html

I've not used zyxel swtiches but years ago used some of their firewalls/access points and they were top-notch.
Seems like a hell of a deal on the zyxel. My previous tech support job had me working with lots of different ISP's and I don't think I ever ran into a problem with one of their modems. Seems like a solid brand. This may be a winner, especially at that price.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
(2012-06-10, 18:21)htpc guy Wrote: Seems like a hell of a deal on the zyxel. My previous tech support job had me working with lots of different ISP's and I don't think I ever ran into a problem with one of their modems. Seems like a solid brand. This may be a winner, especially at that price.

It does for that price....
(2012-06-10, 17:41)htpc guy Wrote: While this is not as fun as buying PC parts, its still something that can have a major impact on my XBMC setup. I also know there are a ton of "New Egg Ninjas" here that can help me find an awesome deal.

That being said, I'm starting a new job soon where I will be able to work from home. I'm really looking forward to this. The problem is the laptop that will be issued to me has wireless disabled for security reasons. I have Uverse for my isp and I'm currently using their 2Wire gateway. It has a handful of ports on the back and they are all occupied. I don't want to disconnect/reconnect cables anytime I have to bring the laptop home for work. I would like to keep this future proof in case I move and want to wire in the entire household. With this in mind I'm thinking I'll need at least 16 ports.

As I said, I have a 2Wire gateway that I will connect to the switch. Everything else (xbmc, server, XBox360, AVR, Work Laptop, etc...) will be connected to the switch. The 2Wire has wireless all ready so I'm not concerned about wireless on the switch.

Here is what I'm looking for:

unmanaged switch (I want this to be plug and play)
Does not need wireless support because my gateway has built in wireless
gigabit speeds for fast file transfers between my server and XBMC box. (Both have gigibit lan ports).
16 ports (minimum)
No preference for desktop / rack mount etc.
budget: close to $100 USD or lower
I'm in the US so no overseas seller.

I've found this TP-Link Switch all ready. Is there a similar/better option for a cheaper price?

Thanks

let me ask why would you need 16 ports at one location you mention that your adding a laptop to your existing network.

this is what i have completely plug and play in 3 different locations in my house i have never had a single problem and very cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynex-DX-GB5PRT-...1e68c36cdb

Dynex DX-GB5PRT 5-Port 10/100/1000 GB Ethernet Switch $14,41
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
8-port zyxel is just 30 right now - i can't imagine you'll need the 16; at any point, I'd buy this one.

[edited for misplaced comma / period]
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
I guess you guys are right. Its half the price going for an 8 port, which will be plenty for now. If I need more ports later I can always add another small switch.

How to use Git
I need more than 8 Smile.

Definitely keep your eye on Slickdeals.net.
I have one of those 8 port trendnet greens. Definitely recommend it.
(2012-06-10, 23:48)htpc guy Wrote: I guess you guys are right. Its half the price going for an 8 port, which will be plenty for now. If I need more ports later I can always add another small switch.

+ 1 that is what my buddy did.... but if you find a good deal or don't care about the price then just buy the 16 port. Smile
Here's one reason to consider the 16-port now. This is what I am facing right now.

First, when you do run out, what are you going to do with the 2 x 8 ports?

Second, an extra port is taken on both 8-ports because you need to chain them. So, it's really 14 ports. Unless you connect both to the router then you only lose 1 port for needing to have two connections to the router. Routers make for lousy switches though so this can cause network issue. I had pixelation issues that were resolved by chaining the switches

switch 1 <--> switch 2 <--> router

instead of

switch 1 <--> router <--> switch 2

So, yeah I spent less getting the 2 x 8 but I've had network issues and I am using 12 of 14 ports now already.
I can recommend that one:NETGEAR ProSafe 16-Port Fast Ethernet Unmanaged Plus Switch FS116E Amazon 71 USD, it supports VLANs, QuoS, Monitoring etc...
(2012-06-12, 19:45)xbmcg Wrote: I can recommend that one:NETGEAR ProSafe 16-Port Fast Ethernet Unmanaged Plus Switch FS116E Amazon 71 USD, it supports VLANs, QuoS, Monitoring etc...

This is a 10/100 switch, not a GigE switch.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for an Unmanaged Switch0