Official XBMC Remote (iOS) can't find WHS2011 Instance
Hi. I've just set up XBMC on a new Windows Home Server 2011 box. Everything seems to be working fine, including being able to read and play music\video files from another Win 7 PC via a wireless LAN connection, so the network is good.

However, using the official XBMC remote app for iPad/iPhone (I've tried both), I keep getting 'XBMC Instance not found' when trying to add the host.

I've got the XMBC instance setup for remote control by HTTP with all of the default settings. I found that I had to first turn off the WWW publishing service on the WHS to even enable it. On the remote app I have the WHS XBMC IP address input correctly (double and triple checked.) It's currently set to port 80, but I've 8080 and 4444 as tests. User name has been left as xbmc, and I've tried with and without a password.

Is there some other service or security setting on WHS which might be preventing the remote app from finding my instance? Is there something else I'm forgetting?

Just as background, as a web app developer, my level of server support experience is moderate, so answers can stray a little into the technical side Smile

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

[Edit: I didn't know if this should be in the Windows forum, or some other forum. Mods, feel free to move.]
A few things to try:

Check XBMC settings to enable "allow xbmc control from another computer"

Firewall setting?

8080 is probably the best bet for Port - I had issues using XBMC on same computer as a Skype install (port hog!)

I think you'll find the first one is the answer.
(2012-06-13, 02:34)Digital Vortex Wrote: A few things to try:

Check XBMC settings to enable "allow xbmc control from another computer"

Firewall setting?

8080 is probably the best bet for Port - I had issues using XBMC on same computer as a Skype install (port hog!)

I think you'll find the first one is the answer.

It was the firewall. I had to add a new rule to allow communication with XBMC on the port I selected. Thanks for the suggestion!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Official XBMC Remote (iOS) can't find WHS2011 Instance0