XBMC crashes when accessing folder
I've setup a separate folder for videos which I've shot myself, called "Home videos". Last night I added a timelapse video which I created on a Win7 computer using the program "VideoMach".

After I added the video, XBMC crashes every time I try to access the folder from main menu option "Videos". At least I think it crashes: There's a black and white X centered in the screen for a short while, then black screen, then back to XBMC main menu within 3 seconds.

I tried to access the same folder via XBMC's built-in filemanager. From there I could both access the folder and view the video without trouble.

I'm thinking the problem may be related to the scraping feature, although I've set scraping to "None" in this folder.
Hi Mate,

The black and white cross sounds more like an Xorg crash than an XBMC crash, which would explain the return to xbmc's main menu after Xorg reloads and restarts xbmc.

Are you loading XBMC direct on login? (i believe XBMCbuntu does this, i assume your using that?)

Can you turn on debug mode in XBMC, reproduce the error, then upload the XBMC log (at ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log) to xbmclogs.com and post the link here?

Also can you provide a rundown on your hardware, OS, module version for GPU etc? Basically the bulk of that can be found in teh system information within XBMC.

Given the description of you problem, if possible it would be a good idea to grab your /var/log/Xorg.0.log as well after having this problem and uploading that to pastebin, link that here too Smile
Hi Mate,

The black and white cross sounds more like an Xorg crash than an XBMC crash, which would explain the return to xbmc's main menu after Xorg reloads and restarts xbmc.

Are you loading XBMC direct on login? (i believe XBMCbuntu does this, i assume your using that?)

Can you turn on debug mode in XBMC, reproduce the error, then upload the XBMC log (at ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log) to xbmclogs.com and post the link here?

Also can you provide a rundown on your hardware, OS, module version for GPU etc? Basically the bulk of that can be found in teh system information within XBMC.

Given the description of you problem, if possible it would be a good idea to grab your /var/log/Xorg.0.log as well after having this problem and uploading that to pastebin, link that here too Smile
Hi abeeson, thanks for your reply.

The xbmc.log can be found here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=3549 I guess it is the lines from 1532 on which is interesting, as that's where I entered the folder. There's also an autogenerated crashlog, but I think it has the same contents.

The Xorg.0.log can be found here: http://pastebin.com/1ztuR8bv

Hardware: Zotac Zbox ID81 running XBMCbuntu, or as the system information says: Linux 3.0.0-20-generic........
XBMC 12.0-ALPHA2
CPU Intel Celeron 857 @ 1.2 GHz
Memory: 4 giga.
GPU: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version: 2.1 Mesa 7.11
From what I read in the log I did a few tests. I have only 2 files in the folder which have an .avi extension like the one mentioned in the log. I tried renaming both of them by adding ".old", and voila, I was able to enter the folder without crashing.

There's nothing wrong with the files as far as I can tell. I tried running them from XBMC's own filemanager, and then they played just fine. They also play fine in both VLC and WMP on my Win7 computer.

Edit: After searching Google a bit, I realize this might have something to do with the frame size of the videos. Both of them are screencaptures, and have the somewhat Wink odd sizes of 1016x648 and 952x608. My guess is that xbmc can play the files just fine, but it's unable to make thumbnails because of the odd sizes. I'm surprised there's a bug on such a trivial thing.
(2012-06-13, 20:35)PolarbearNO Wrote: From what I read in the log I did a few tests. I have only 2 files in the folder which have an .avi extension like the one mentioned in the log. I tried renaming both of them by adding ".old", and voila, I was able to enter the folder without crashing.

There's nothing wrong with the files as far as I can tell. I tried running them from XBMC's own filemanager, and then they played just fine. They also play fine in both VLC and WMP on my Win7 computer.

Edit: After searching Google a bit, I realize this might have something to do with the frame size of the videos. Both of them are screencaptures, and have the somewhat Wink odd sizes of 1016x648 and 952x608. My guess is that xbmc can play the files just fine, but it's unable to make thumbnails because of the odd sizes. I'm surprised there's a bug on such a trivial thing.

It is a development package your running though.

Good find, i would recommend lodging it as a bug. I assume you compiled it yourself, the fact that they play ok via the file manager would support your theory (otherwise i might have said your compile missed xvid support or something)
Will lodge it as a bug Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashes when accessing folder0