Cedar Trail 2800 + Crystal HD + Linux
Hi there,

I have a Intel DN2800MT board laying around. I thought I could use it for a bedroom xbmc appliance but I read about the poor graphics support with Linux. I found out with a 3.3 Kernel you can actually manage to get a fullHD resolution running but video playback is poor...

Since the board has 2 mini pci e slots I came to the idea to buy a EUR 30,- Broadcom Crystal HD BCM970015 and would hope that helps with hardware acceleration of video playback?

What you guys think would that card help? It would make a perfect fan less low power appliance together with a msata flash drive in the second mini pcie slot...

Cheers

Christian
The CrystalHD card should work fine. I have one myself in my AppleTV, but I believe the amount of RAM (256 MB) and the weak CPU (1 GHz Pentium-M grade) is what is holding back performance.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
I guess I'll give it a shot though it might be a pain in the ass because seems that nobody even gave it a thought yet. Therefore I'll have a quiet low power thin unit if it works!

It's actually supposed to replace a atv1 with chrystalbuntu ;-) have you noticed that after the last updates the 720 playback performance improved a lot?
I don't run Crystalbuntu, mine is running Arch Linux.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
My experrience with cedar trail on linux did not give any good results. CrystalHD wont save you with DIVX or DVD files.

On a whim I loaded windows 7 on it and XBMC and it is truly amazing NO HEAT in fanless case HD hardware decoding on h264 and on any software decode have never seen cpus at over 30%
Which "linux"? There's a heck of a lot of variables in there.
Well Ned, arent you the Mac Guy anyway?

I have a separate post and dont have the link at the moment but I am sure if you do a search here you will find it. I spent over a month with linux distos on cedar trail. so lets not beat a dead horse to death. next time before you ASSUME someone is an idiot because they did not post what you want to see, try a search, Ned.

If there were a REAL Linux GMA3500 driver , it would work on any distro of linux more than likely, assuming dependencies are met.

Those that claim to support Cedar trail have limited support and some of those distros like meego can not be coaxed to boot the Intel D2700DC . The forums for meego are full of unanswered questions relating to this and XBMC dependencies.
(2012-06-30, 05:11)tekno Wrote: Well Ned, arent you the Mac Guy anyway?

I have a separate post and dont have the link at the moment but I am sure if you do a search here you will find it. I spent over a month with linux distos on cedar trail. so lets not beat a dead horse to death. next time before you ASSUME someone is an idiot because they did not post what you want to see, try a search, Ned.

If there were a REAL Linux GMA3500 driver , it would work on any distro of linux more than likely, assuming dependencies are met.

Those that claim to support Cedar trail have limited support and some of those distros like meego can not be coaxed to boot the Intel D2700DC . The forums for meego are full of unanswered questions relating to this and XBMC dependencies.

After your explosive response to me in another thread recently, which took me by surprise, I decided to look up any time we've crossed paths on the forum. I never saw your response here until just now, and again, I'm surprised at your hostility.

To answer your question: I use Mac OS X on my laptop. For 2 years I used Windows XP on my primary HTPC (which used the Broadcom Crystal HD), before it got boxed up while I as moving and ended up just using an Apple TV 1 + BCHD running linux (Crystalbuntu, which is based on Ubuntu Hardy). For a short while I ran my original "main" HTPC with Ubuntu until the motherboard shorted out. I've set up no less than 12 different Apple TV 1s for other people running linux. In my house I now have two ATV1s with linux, one ATV2 running iOS, my laptop running Mac OS X, and now a PogoPlug running ArchLinux ARM, that makes up my "media network".

I never assumed you were an idiot, not in the least. I asked in case I could help, but also to learn about these issues myself. More often than not, I am asking questions on the forum to learn about that topic.

So maybe you shouldn't assume that other people assume.

Ned, isnt that often the advice of moderators here "Do a search" . Does the medicine so often given here hurt so bad to receive?

(2012-06-26, 11:59)Ned Scott Wrote: Which "linux"? There's a heck of a lot of variables in there.
This is not kindly asking. This is asking follwed by what seems to be anger

So now you flame me in 2 threads. See how you really are!

Your use of the word "explosive" is a grave exaggeration as well.
@tekno:

Without knowing Ned Scott and without knowing you. Your view of reality seems a bit wired. Ned Scott did not insult you in any way from what I read here. Check your "!"s and your false pretences - this is what you call "flaming".

It is pretty "explosive" what you are saying.

And back to topic:
The 2800MT should be good enough for doing xvid/divx if it is not larger than 720p and the mpeg-2 from a DVD should also work good enough on cpu, . The 1080p that really matters stuff can be easily done on the crystalhd.

So the idea to buy a crystalhd card seems in my eyes a really good idea. I had one myself in the times before decent AMD Fusion support.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I can view blu-ray HD movies/concerts with DN2800MT and Crystal HD?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cedar Trail 2800 + Crystal HD + Linux0