Looking for advice
mainly i need a new office pc

I hate to say I don't have any current desktops higher than a P4

basically i need to build a new pc to handle Sab-Sickbeard-Couch Potato and run my Musicbrainz Server VM plus any other odd things I may need to do

I planned to build a new xbmc box a year and a half ago and bought a I3 550 cpu but since i havent upgraded my tv yet it has just been sitting collecting dust

cpu wise I think it is still a great cpu but with newer options comes decisions lol

I can't drop a lot of money on this but considering all I really have at this point is the cpu and prob would gut one of my existing old pc's for its antec case
but if I would garner a lot more multitasking power is a newer relatively cheap cpu then I would prob try and sell the 550 (which still sells for the same price it was 18 months ago) and go a diff direction

so any of you hardware nuts who keep up with the numbers am I just as good sticking with the 550 considering money constraints or will i gain a lot more power dropping $100 or so

Thanks
WE ALL WE GOT
Use the 550. I have a i3 550 and its a strong CPU dual core with hyper threading. Also the Graphics are good and it doesn't surfer from the 1080p issues the second generation Intel CPU i3 had. So you don't need a GPU ether.
I agree. That 550 has good value.

Thanks for the input guys

I know it is still a good CPU....just wish there were a few more Mobo choices still available but will definitely still make good workstation
hell would still make an excellent xbmc box if i still needed it for that

i have never built a pc using a biostar mobo but this seems to be my best choice as far as flexibility with new and old hardware
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813138177
WE ALL WE GOT
check NCIX's ebay page once and a while, they have open box items on sale often. This would be a good board.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MSI-P55A-G55-P55-...5d33eeefbf
(no on board video though)
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Wow Thanks.....very good find....def a lot more options with that board
having on board video would be nice but with the savings put towards a vid card then i could get something pretty decent and actually get some gaming out of it also

again thanks a lot!
WE ALL WE GOT
Let us know! I would love to help more if we can!

i drug my feet a little and payed for it...i have never needed paypal before so i had to get it setup
that mobo went with zero bids for prob 2 or 3 auctions....then when im ready people start bidding lol
just how my luck goes and i lost it
that thing was near perfect so again thanks for that find

I will stay on the hunt lol
WE ALL WE GOT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for advice0