Request: IMDB TV Scraper
Due to the intransigence of the TVDB people who seem to have a very personal interest in maintaining bad information (witness the Lost and Terra Nova improper locks) I wish someone would write a TV scraper based on IMDB like there is one for movies and IMDB, including the great IMDB+RT plugin. Being forced to run a third-party program to add legitimate episodes to my XBMC library is ridiculous.
+1 for this request... this could be especially useful when scraping individual episodes for the full cast of that episode... allowing per episode character lists displaying guest appearances. another thought would possibly make the imdb tv scraper a common module that could be used with thetvdb.com's scraper to allow scraping just cast from imdb. would love to see any of these ideas!
Agreed. The complete idiocy reeking from the people running thetvdb is making the site useless. We need alternatives.
(2012-06-20, 22:56)Dragen Wrote: Agreed. The complete idiocy reeking from the people running thetvdb is making the site useless. We need alternatives.

STOP COMPLAINING HERE ABOUT TVDB!

They have their own forum.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I'll also add my request for an IMDB TV scraper. TheTVDB just burned me again on another show, and so the list of shows I have to manage manually has gotten longer. This might sound like a complaint against TheTVDB, and admittedly it is, but it's also a very serious issue for XBMC itself.

After some googling around, I have found numerous requests for an IMDB scraper dating back a few years now, and it's still conspicuously absent to this day. Is it difficult? Because if it is, I think I might know some people who can write one. Might it take five minutes? Maybe ten? I don't mean to sound snarky, but the frustration level is getting pretty high. XBMC is supposed to make life easier. If I have to exercise such manual control over my library, then what is the benefit of XBMC anyway? We desperately need the IMDB option. Having no other scraper besides TheTVDB is nothing less than XBMC's Achilles' heel.

This is also an issue for SickBeard, but they have their own forum to suffer. I would run to TheTVDB's forum and describe to them in precise detail how they're single-handedly sabotaging the whole HTPC concept, but really, it's quite pointless.
(2012-06-27, 08:42)LordBlaine Wrote: Might it take five minutes? Maybe ten?

lol
(2012-06-27, 08:42)LordBlaine Wrote: Might it take five minutes? Maybe ten? I don't mean to sound snarky, but the frustration level is getting pretty high.

great, when you finish with it let us know

(2012-06-27, 08:42)LordBlaine Wrote: ..... I would run to TheTVDB's forum and describe to them in precise detail how they're single-handedly sabotaging the whole HTPC concept, but really, it's quite pointless.

and its not pointless doing it here? we have no control over what they do.

(2012-06-27, 09:09)olympia Wrote:
(2012-06-27, 08:42)LordBlaine Wrote: Might it take five minutes? Maybe ten?

lol

Indeed. Very funny. Clearly, he never coded anything.
(2012-06-27, 09:15)amet Wrote:
(2012-06-27, 08:42)LordBlaine Wrote: ..... I would run to TheTVDB's forum and describe to them in precise detail how they're single-handedly sabotaging the whole HTPC concept, but really, it's quite pointless.

and its not pointless doing it here? we have no control over what they do.

Maybe XBMC cannot control what TheTVDB does, but it can and should route around their damage by using something other than their screwed up database! As LordBlaine said, they are sabotaging the whole HTPC concept by breaking the scraping aspects.

--bornagainpenguin
sure we can, and we will ... point is that bitching about TheTVDB is just waste of space here
(2012-07-04, 16:01)amet Wrote: sure we can, and we will ... point is that bitching about TheTVDB is just waste of space here

I understand what you're saying, but if people complain here at least it is well known that others think there is a problem. One of the worse feelings in the world is having a problem and feeling like you're the only one experiencing trouble... And if people complain over there, I think there is a perception that they will get banned. I had an issue with something recently and searched the forums to try and see if there were a workaround only to see a moderator in a thread where someone else had that issue post that there were tons of threads covering this issue but all had been deleted because they were tired of going over it(!)

The sad thing is how difficult they insist on being over everything. Even if you approach it from the perspective of someone completely willing to adjust their files however necessary to conform to their database they refuse to help you make sense of things and insist on attacking you when pointing out that as is things are broken.

Of course it could also be argued that by complaining about TheTvdb, people are explaining why we need a new scraper when one is already available...

--bornagainpenguin
Perhaps open a site ihatetvdb.com so you guys can stop bitching about it here!
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I don't understand why you're complaining about us complaining about the lack of an alternative to the false data and hours of headache the TheTVDB is giving us. If you love TheTVDB so much, go ahead and use it, we're not stopping you.
We just want to be able to scrape the correct info for the correct show. With the TheTVDB scraper, scraping a show is based on luck.
Enough is enough, thread closed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Request: IMDB TV Scraper0