Looking for a prebuilt system
Hoping someone can help me. I've been researching like mad, and I keep seeing differing opinions.

I want a small, quiet prebuilt PC (don't feel like building) that will connect to my HDTV via HDMI. I'd like to watch up to 1080p. I would also like to be able to hook up a TV tuner so I could record and play back OTA content. I presume this will be a USB affair, since a PCI card won't fit in a small box.

I've been looking at ZOTACs and Acers and the like.

I'm leaning towards a Windows OS, because I like WMC, if I'm going to be recording. From what I can gather, the AMD processors are better in a Windows environment. My budget is probably around $500.

Would the ZBOX AD04 work for me? The ID82 looks great, but maybe is overkill? I hear both good and bad things about the Acer RL70.

I don't anticipate doing any gaming on this. It's mostly just for watching online content, or local video files.

Thanks!
Do you need an optical drive?

A network tuner is a great option as well.

How about a barebones where the only thing you have to do is install Windows and set it up how you like?
I don't think I need an optical drive. It would be nice to have, I guess.

Network tuner like an HDHomeRun? I like that idea, but with only one TV, I'm not sure what that gains me. Wouldn't that mean a bigger power draw?

I guess I'm planning on something barebones, in the sense that I have Windows, so I can install it when I get the machine. Is that what you mean?
This one "lenovo IdeaCentre H330" is ready for XBMC out of the box, and it should be able to playback everything.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-06-15, 01:54)jmontana Wrote: I don't think I need an optical drive. It would be nice to have, I guess.

Network tuner like an HDHomeRun? I like that idea, but with only one TV, I'm not sure what that gains me. Wouldn't that mean a bigger power draw?

I guess I'm planning on something barebones, in the sense that I have Windows, so I can install it when I get the machine. Is that what you mean?

If you decide later to get an optical drive, you can always get a USB one.

Yes, I was thinking like an HDHomeRun. I have both the HDHomeRun dual and the HDHomeRun Prime. I am not sure how much more power they would use over a USB tuner or a PCIe tuner. One good thing about an external tuner is there's no added heat inside the PC. Whether or not to get a network tuner depends on where your antenna/cable feed comes in. Mine comes into the basement right near where I have my router, switches and server. Adding a network tuner meant much shorter coax runs so better signal at the tuner. At my TVs after runs through the house, it wasn't as strong. So, something to consider.

Yes, by barebones I mean the case, motherboard, CPU and memory are already installed. You just install an SSD or HDD and load Windows.

If this build interests you: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132688 then PM me and I'll let you know how to get it as a barebones.

Thanks for the info on the HDHomeRun. Definitely an interesting idea, and I'll look into it.

The Lenovo looks to be too large for my purposes. I really want something Mac Mini-sized that I can place near the TV and it won't look like a PC.

The build you reference looks decent, but I note it has an SSD. Is that to keep heat down?
Interesting.. Dougie Fresh keeps referencing to my build lol. i don't have any problem with it.. kinda flattered actually hehe.

i'm using a SSD because of the performance, especially the boot up speed...
and I usually put SSD's into all my machines just because i can't stand normal hdd's boot speed anymore lol

(2012-06-15, 20:40)jangjong Wrote: Interesting.. Dougie Fresh keeps referencing to my build lol. i don't have any problem with it.. kinda flattered actually hehe.

i'm using a SSD because of the performance, especially the boot up speed...
and I usually put SSD's into all my machines just because i can't stand normal hdd's boot speed anymore lol

It's a great build! Smile

There's room for 2 x 2.5" in that case so you could have an SSD for OS/programs and a separate 2.5" HDD for recordings. I ran my bedroom HTPC in that configuration until I got a bigger SSD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for a prebuilt system0