Building my own HTPC
Hey Guys,

Im after some advice, i currently have an Acer Revo RL3700 in the bedroom (working fine), and a 2 week old Acer Revo RL70 in the living room...

Im so disappointed with the RL70, it must be something to do with the ATI/AMD graphics, but its just not as good as the RL3700 in my opinion.. i have tried everything (Xvba builds), every setting, and i just can't get decent performance.

Anyway, i have decided to sell the RL70, and build my own HTPC, its been about 10 years since i last built a PC from scratch, but i have read through some of the posts on here, and taken some ideas in order to get the best machine i can.

Just to add, i want to play every video format, every audio format, and make it a little future proof.

These are the components i have decided on, can anyone see any issues, or anything i have missed! Smile

Intel Core i3 2105 3.1GHz Socket 1155 3MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3 Intel H61 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard
Zotac GT 520 Synergy Edition 1GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
Antec Minuet 350 Slim Micro ATX Case - With 350W PSU
Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
OCZ 64GB Octane SSD - 2.5" SATA-II - Read 180MB/s Write 90MB/s - Indilinx Everest
Intel Core i3 2105 3.1GHz Socket 1155 3MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

I will be running Ubuntu, and regularly use the nightly PPA's.

In the UK this will set me back about £350.
Assuming the case can hold full height graphics cards and I think it needs a spare slot next to it I would swap the gt520 for this gt430 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ZHDDO4/re...B004ZHDDO4

Otherwise I'm not best to advise, hopefully someone will help you. I'm surprised about the Revo I've heard good things about them. Have you tried windows on one? Sounds stupid as it uses more resources but the hardware may play better (drivers)

Edit: Looks like your case is low profile. Consider a low profile GT430 althought the GT520 is a good card
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Hey mate,

I haven't tried windows nope, but i have read windows running on the RL70, is much better, it can bitstream HD audio, graphics are better etc, but i don't wanna buy windows 7 LOL..

are you saying, the GT430 would be better than the GT520, or do you think the GT520 is overkill?

Cheers
Will
I have read some things on here about GT520 vs the GT430, and it seems to boil down to LiveTV, which i won't be doing.. So ill swap that out for

Asus GT 430 1GB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Cheers.
Will
Well, all my parts have arrived... ill update you guys when its built later! Smile
Good luck! Pictures are required Smile.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building my own HTPC0