• 11(current)
Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such?
Thumbs Up 
SpenZerX Wrote:My favorite is MovieBrowser. But actually MovieBrowser and Mizuu are both not ready for daily use. They are both slow when shares contain more then 100 movies. Also i think both tools need Android 3 or higher. I can't install both on my new Galaxy Note.

Hi. Love my Android device and XBMC...wanted the two to live in harmony for a while...here's the news from a n00b/non-dev perspective. 1) There are a variety of chipsets used in android phones, so it's kinda difficult to have an XBMC port for each. For instance, my phone is a Evo 4g on an ARM v7 chipset...but then you have the tegra 2's, 3's, whatever, it's difficult. 2) So, now, we're talking about recoding the entire project to an .apk. And, as mentioned before, that's borderline insane with the shift to the cloud...although, IMHO, consumers will still want hard copies of some media just for the piece of mind. Especially hard to find or user produced media. 3) I have found decent alternatives to streaming/downloading content to my device.

- Vplayer simple to the point and plays almost anything
- EZ Stream TV - nice UI and great support follow them on Twitter
- Mega Stream - Free way to watch megaupload/video links on Android (Go to ice films via your favorite browser, copy and paste the link and boom! Stream away.)
- Just saw Navi-X has been half assed ported to Android too...I say half assed because Navi-X has always been free and this guy wants to charge for something he had no part in creating and you can't even stream with his $2 app...only download. But, still a good effort.

As a community of XBMC and Android user, we could certainly find a way to come together to make it a more seamless project. Utilizing technologies found in each of the above mentioned .apks would be a huge step in the right direction. All and all, finding similar functionality in other apps and building an all new all inclusive media center inspired by XBMC may be a better alternative. I don't have much expirence, but, with ICS (Android 4.0) being ported to any phone that ever ran GB (2.3.+) I think it'd be a great time to try and build a fantastic Android media center. Be it XBMC or not...props to XBMC for being so cutting edge and inspiring such an undertaking. I'm down to make this my new pet project, even though I have no idea where to start. Maybe we should try to contact some of the devs that created the above mentioned .apks. If there's anything I've learned from using XBMC, it's that within this community anything is possible.

Maybe setting up a structure across the web would be good. A facebook, twitter, XDA thread, XBMC thread, other forums and link everyone up and get this going. Eventually a Git, right? That's where I'd start...organize the project. I can do that. Who's interested?

EDIT: If the drivers are available to run Linux via CHROOT, would it be possible to run XBMC on a small Ubuntu build via the same method?

let's find out...
Would it make sense to start an Android Wiki or FAQ to at least identify what the roadblocks are? I.e. compiling libs, h/w assisted video and image decode, basic Android SDK/NDK gotchas, availalbe development machines to devs, etc.

I'd be willing to start a page up if needed. At least then, the relentless requests and questions about an Android port may start to trail off.
Here's a quick wiki page that I put together. Hopefully this can be used to centralize all this information so it's easier for people to consume.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Dev...or_Android
I know there is lots of information I`m missing from the wiki so if anyone has updates, please go ahead and make the mods. I`d like to fill-in any gaps around what are some of the roadblocks for Android development - or is it even possible to port XBMC with the current state of the Android platform or development environment.

On a side note, can someone from the dev team confirm if any Android devices are availabe to them? Specifically a device capable to be upgraded to Android 4. I have an Asus Transformer - not prime Wink - that I may be willing to part with if it will get Android developmen started.
Question 
CuBox by Solid-Run is a newly announced 1080p capable Android and Linux ARM-based "open source development platform" that includes "all its supporting infrastructure and resources" and is now available for only €99 Euros (~$135 US dollar)

http://www.solid-run.com/products/cubox

According to LinuxDevices.com the CuBox is primarily an open source mini-PC platform for developing Android TV and media center apps, shipping with Android 2.2 and Linux 2.6, and is said to support a variety of Linux distros.

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/SolidRun-CuBox/

Quote:Solid-Run is shipping an open source mini-PC platform for developing Android TV and media center apps. Measuring 2.17 x 2.17 x 1.65 inches and consuming less than three Watts, the CuBox runs Android 2.2 or Linux 2.6 on an 800MHz Marvell Armada 510 CPU, has 1GB of DDR3 memory and a microSD slot, and includes eSATA, USB, infrared, S/PDIF, HDMI, and gigabit Ethernet interfaces.

The CuBox is the debut product from Israeli embedded development firm Solid-Run, which started up in 2010. The device is designed as an open source development platform for Android TVs, HD media players, thin clients, digital signage platforms, and network attached storage (NAS) devices, says the company.

The CuBox measures 2.17 x 2.17 x 1.65 inches (55 x 55 x 42mm) and consumes less than three Watts under typical HD streaming use, claims Solid-Run. In large part this is due to the power-sipping Marvell Armada 510, clocked here at 800MHz. (The system on chip (SoC), which is also known as the Marvell PXA510, has appeared in other embedded mini-PCs, such as Globalscale Technologies' D2Plug.)

The Armada 510 offers a Cortex-A8-equivalent core running ARMv7. It also includes a multi-format decoder that helps deliver 1080p HD video playback, while MTPS (million triangles per second) 3D graphics acceleration provides Open GL ES 2.0 support.

The Marvell Armada 510 is joined here with 1GHz of DDR3 RAM, as well as a 2GB microSD card in a slot said to support up to 64GB of storage. An eSATA port and dual USB 2.0 host ports are available for further storage and expansion, says Solid-Run.

A micro-USB port supports debug and discovery functions, says the company. The CuBox is further equipped with a gigabit Ethernet port, an optical audio S/PDIF transmitter, and an infrared receiver with LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control) support, says Solid-Run.

The included HDMI port is said to support a wide variety of HD formats at 1080p including, H.264, MPEG 2 and 4, WMV, DivX, Xvid, and VC-1 AP@L3. An external five Volt power supply is also included.

The CuBox ships with Android 2.2 and Linux 2.6, and is said to support a variety of Linux distros. In fact, demos are provided for Ubuntu, Debian, and the open source XBMC, which forms the basis for Boxee and other media center distributions.

Designed as an open platform, the CuBox is offered with software development kits that include Gstreamer, as well as the Chrome browser with Flash 10.1 support. Also available are wikis and online community forums, as well as debug and recovery mechanisms. The user can re-flash all elements of the software using a micro-USB debug console, so there's no need for JTAG, says the company.

This sure sounds like a nice box for just running XBMC on Linux, but what about porting XBMC to Android for it?
topfs2 Wrote:No developer has google tv (donations welcomed) and there need to exist a SDK and would also be awfully important to get a proper libc in there, or atleast get access to c++ for it to become possible....

Hi,

Just wondering if it's still valid that you need a donation of a Logitech Revue to try and port xbmc to? If it is, please contact me at the email address I logged in with. I like xbmc enough to donate my Revue. Would love to see it on GTV machines.

Thanks.
barrgoss
I have found an Amlogic based device running ICS 4.0 and its got a custom app running with USB drivers that can control Terrestial and Sat tuners like ATSC, DVBS2, ISBDN-T, DVB-T/2.

I'm willing to donate devices to any interested devs, I can also allocate some funds. I can also try to coordinate with the devices devs if necessary.
I'm testing the above box and I have it working on ATSC and DVBS2.

The box is appox. 99$ and the USB tuners are anywhere from 30-60$. Yje DVB-T / ISDB-T / DVB-S/DVB-S2 / DVB-T2 digital TV receiving USB tuners make it easy to setup IPTV+OTT hybrid platform.

The software scans pretty well and all the basic features OTA+FTA functions to watch Live TV are present including USB/SD PVR. I believe it built on Java but I could be wrong.

The Market works world wide, ( I tested it in China, Canada and USA), the device is running 2.3 but they have a 4.0 version that's buggy but functional for now.

I plugged in my 3TB USB media drive and was able to play every type of media possible.

Some basic specs:

Support 1080P Full HD video decoding
ARM CORTEX A9, frequency is 1GHz, RAM is 512MB, built in 1G flash memory
Embedded Open GL 3D GPU
Android 2.3 OS.
Bulid in WiFi N
Support 1080P video playback
HDMI video output
4 USB ports
MicroSD slot
Support USB HDD, support USB mouse, keyboard and webcam.
IR or 2.5Ghz remote control with Motion/Gyro function (like Wii remote)
FLASH PLAYER 11.0, HTML5
Support 3G USB Dongle
AppInstaller for application installation from USB/SD
phat Wrote:I'm testing the above box and I have it working on ATSC and DVBS2.

The box is appox. 99$ and the USB tuners are anywhere from 30-60$. Yje DVB-T / ISDB-T / DVB-S/DVB-S2 / DVB-T2 digital TV receiving USB tuners make it easy to setup IPTV+OTT hybrid platform.

The software scans pretty well and all the basic features OTA+FTA functions to watch Live TV are present including USB/SD PVR. I believe it built on Java but I could be wrong.

The Market works world wide, ( I tested it in China, Canada and USA), the device is running 2.3 but they have a 4.0 version that's buggy but functional for now.

I plugged in my 3TB USB media drive and was able to play every type of media possible.

Some basic specs:

Support 1080P Full HD video decoding
ARM CORTEX A9, frequency is 1GHz, RAM is 512MB, built in 1G flash memory
Embedded Open GL 3D GPU
Android 2.3 OS.
Bulid in WiFi N
Support 1080P video playback
HDMI video output
4 USB ports
MicroSD slot
Support USB HDD, support USB mouse, keyboard and webcam.
IR or 2.5Ghz remote control with Motion/Gyro function (like Wii remote)
FLASH PLAYER 11.0, HTML5
Support 3G USB Dongle
AppInstaller for application installation from USB/SD

Where can we buy it ?
What box is this ? I might already have it.
I keep checking this thread to see if a breakthrough has happened yet.
My XBMC/Gaming rig:
Cougar Evolution - AMD Phenom II 1100T @ 4ghz w/ custom Noctua 3-fan Cooler - 16gb DDR3 1866 - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - Nvidia GTX570 superclocked -
SeaSonic Platinum 860W PSU - OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD - 8TB storage
Mouse- Cyborg R.A.T. 5 Keyboard- Mad Catz V.7
davilla Wrote:What box is this ? I might already have it.

I think it's an Amlogic 8726 box which I believe you have already, they are all over the place now, official and unofficial clones of Geniatech ATVxxxx players. Android 4.0 is available for these devices but is is only a beta release at the moment.
Are the Android drivers for the USB tuners opensource? I was wondering if we could get a BCM4505 working...

The software is pretty basic, I was wondering if it could be changed? Is it based on anything else?
phat Wrote:The software is pretty basic, I was wondering if it could be changed? Is it based on anything else?

Do you mean changing the firmware from Android to a linux OS that runs XBMC, some guys over on the Android forums attempted some hacks and even contacted Geniatech to see if they would port something like GeeXbox but it didn't go anywhere.

If there are any interested hackers there is an Amlogic wiki and this guy outlines how to request source code from Amlogic.

Edit: Looks like someone made progress, Ubuntu running on the ATV1000.
Starstream Wrote:Do you mean changing the firmware from Android to a linux OS that runs XBMC, some guys over on the Android forums attempted some hacks and even contacted Geniatech to see if they would port something like GeeXbox but it didn't go anywhere.

If there are any interested hackers there is an Amlogic wiki and this guy outlines how to request source code from Amlogic.

Edit: Looks like someone made progress, Ubuntu running on the ATV1000.

I was talking about the actual software that runs the tuners and not the OS (android). They have an app that allows you to scan and setup your signal(s) and watch TV live.

The tuners drivers are most likely Linux versions ported to Android.

I was wondering if anyone knew on what (if) the app was based on anything open source or their own. Also, if anyone knows more about the drivers (to work on a BCM4505 version for DVBS2).
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such?6