• 2(current)
Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such?
as much as I am convinced of the task to bring XBMC to google TV-devices and the boxee box, I just don't see the point of having a native XBMC client running on a tablet or smartphone.

a) you need a network connection to your local media library (e.g. on a NAS or PC share) or you need the media stored locally on the device

b) you need a (mostly wired HDMI) connection to the TV or projector and HiFi system which means you will have serious problems sitting on your couch while browsing your collection and playback

the XBMC remote is on the right way, everything an XBMC tablet app needs to do is provide you with full control of the GUI with a touch-friendly skin (or downright replicate it like a remote desktop) while the client located on the set-top box is doing all the hard work.
this task can even be accomplished right as of now by simply opening the browser on ANY touch-enabled hardware and use the web-control.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
a native XBMC client brings in much more than playing media content. The primary thing is skins and fanart support. Adding compatible support to a simple android client would bring in a large percentage of xbmc's code base. You might as well port at that point as keeping two very different source code trees compatible become difficult from a maintenance point of view..
Yeah it depends on what you want to do with the device, the remote control and web browser serves most of the needs and is why it was initially started as a project. The goal of that application is as you say to assume that there is a set top box with xbmc available which you want to remotely control or stream from. For GoogleTV and such (which is also android) it makes more sense to have xbmc native on there. I do agree with you however that it doesn't make much sense to have xbmc on a tablet but if its done for the googletv at some point we might aswell allow it on tablets Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. XBMC works great on my PC as stand alone or running through Windows 7. With the release of Android slates coming out this year that run dual core Tegra 2 processors and have 10 inch screens this seems like it would be a great way to move the platform to a more personal space. There should be more than enough horsepower to run XBMC with a touch GUI.

For me, on of the things that makes XBMC so great is intuitiveness of the platform. I've been looking into getting an Atom based netbook/slate to do this, but battery life is a downer. The ARM processors are known for the low power consumption.

One last thing. Microsoft will be releasing a version of Windows to run on ARM based processors. It is supposed to be targeted for slate computers and touch screen. It will be a while before this happens, maybe a year or two. It might not be a bad idea to figure out how to get XBMC running in a pure touch screen GUI environment for when that day comes.

I know this is my first post on these forums, but I have been an XBMC user for almost 2 years now. I wish I had the coding skills to be able to help the community, but right now I don't. I am in college now for Information Systems and will be taking programming classes. Once I get the programming knowledge needed to make things, I will put in some effort at trying to get some of this done.
I use xbmc for years at home, firt on my old xbox, years ago, then on my linux server.
So far so good, it's getting better and better, thanks to the devs Smile

I use my android phone as a remote with the official xbmc remote and it also workd very well.

But I also have a Galaxy Tab, which has a horrible dlna software called allshare. It's a piece of crap totally unreliable and it doesn't do what it's supposed to do (aka play what's on my upnp server, aka xbmc on my linux server).

Is there a way to port xbmc on android to plays videos from a upnp server ?(especially but not limited to xbmc)

Thanks,

nico
There is a way afaict. It is most likely a hell of a lot of work. Patches are welcomed though.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Just bought a Galaxy Tab myself (yesterday!)... Would love to have xbmc on it Smile I'll do some research nico1375, thanks topfs2!
davilla Wrote:a native XBMC client brings in much more than playing media content. The primary thing is skins and fanart support. Adding compatible support to a simple android client would bring in a large percentage of xbmc's code base. You might as well port at that point as keeping two very different source code trees compatible become difficult from a maintenance point of view..

As one of the primary devs behind the brilliant port of XBMC to iphone4, ipad and appleTV2 - what is the realistic chance of ever having an Android port?

I have a 10" Advent Vega (1ghz Tegra2 Froyo tablet sold in the UK) - virtually the same as a Viewsonic ViewPad 10s (or G tablet) available in the US and Europe I think (http://ces2011.techradar.com/2011/01/han...0s-review/).

I suspect some kernel specific modules are key and the Android fragmentation are probably barriers to this perhaps? Would appreciate your comments - or perhaps your already considering it?

Anyway - thanks for the great work on the Apple specific stuff (as an XBOX1 XBMC user and an investor in the Andorid platform I won't be using it any time soon) and keep up the great work Big Grin
davilla Wrote:a native XBMC client brings in much more than playing media content. The primary thing is skins and fanart support. Adding compatible support to a simple android client would bring in a large percentage of xbmc's code base. You might as well port at that point as keeping two very different source code trees compatible become difficult from a maintenance point of view..

What are you thoughts on Motorolla ATRIX which has Tegra 2 ? I know you worked on Ubuntu Tegra 2 port a while back could some of it still be used to port XBMC to this device even though it is android based ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
I have taken a good look at the current state of NDK and it does seem like most is available for an android port (have actually compiled most of the dependencies already). The problem for me atm is that GLESv2 examples does not work in emulator and for some reason does not work on my phone either, Im sure its me and not the phone so if I get that up and running it should be ok to actually start deving.

The problem atm with android though is that there is no real interesting hardware, and by interesting hardware I mean a proper STB device running gingerbread, before that time a port is not extremely interesting IMO.

topfs2 Wrote:I have taken a good look at the current state of NDK and it does seem like most is available for an android port (have actually compiled most of the dependencies already). The problem for me atm is that GLESv2 examples does not work in emulator and for some reason does not work on my phone either, Im sure its me and not the phone so if I get that up and running it should be ok to actually start deving.

The problem atm with android though is that there is no real interesting hardware, and by interesting hardware I mean a proper STB device running gingerbread, before that time a port is not extremely interesting IMO.

I am very interested in this so far Smile does the Logitech Revue not good enough?
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue

since xbmc runs on the ipad i really dont see why a port shouldnt be done for android, with the upcoming motorola xoom it would be a great addition for media lovers like myself
DToX Wrote:I am very interested in this so far Smile does the Logitech Revue not good enough?
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue

since xbmc runs on the ipad i really dont see why a port shouldnt be done for android, with the upcoming motorola xoom it would be a great addition for media lovers like myself

I don't own that device so I don't know how hackable it is. If someone shows that its simple to flash in a proper android on it then yeah, it might be interesting. It is currently running GoogleTV which is based on android but I have no idea if it can run normal android signed stuff (with android SDK) or if it needs some extra signing.

Is it possible to deploy xbmc on android devices like (Tegra devices). i wish to see xbmc running on android devices with hardware accl. just like it is running on iDevices. Android being open source so it should be possible.

Any idea when it will be availble? Rolleyes
Honestly, try searching before posting. Google works better than most forum searches.

jmarshall Wrote:Honestly, try searching before posting. Google works better than most forum searches.

Honestly, google just points to the remote app not the like iphone, can anyone give a help?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such?6