• 3(current)
Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such?
to be fair...it was not easy to google, but it has been covered over and over again

Google:xbmc on android tegra topfs2
Gives
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=698546
vikjon0 Wrote:to be fair...it was not easy to google, but it has been covered over and over again

Google:xbmc on android tegra topfs2
Gives
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=698546

Thank you.
topfs2 Wrote:I don't own that device so I don't know how hackable it is. If someone shows that its simple to flash in a proper android on it then yeah, it might be interesting. It is currently running GoogleTV which is based on android but I have no idea if it can run normal android signed stuff (with android SDK) or if it needs some extra signing.

Ah i'm going to research it a bit and see what i can find out, I also plan to buy one so that should help Smile
It's not exactly "new" anymore, but the latest Android NDK has support for C++, and tauts the ability to run exclusively C++ apps.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2...eness.html
Yes it can and I have tried it. Problem is that to run gles 2.0 stuff you still need to rely on java, which is not really a big problem as its just for the surface creation.

It is somewhat of a catch 22 here though as there is not much interesting pure stb hardware and you need hardware to develop on (no gles2.0 in emulator and seriously, even if it had no dev will spend time just against an emulator as it is just not enough). So no port can arise without hardware, without devs having hardware this will not happen. I know many suggest tablets as a somewhat nice target but no devs afaik even own tablets or have money to spend to buy one so if you like xbmc please donate money (perhaps a dev will want to do the port and some donation can be targeted at that) or hardware so it can be worked on. Note though that even if you donate no promises can be made, android is interesting though so with dev having hardware accessible I'm sure it will get looked at atleast. It is still a monumental task to do such a port.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:I have taken a good look at the current state of NDK and it does seem like most is available for an android port (have actually compiled most of the dependencies already). The problem for me atm is that GLESv2 examples does not work in emulator and for some reason does not work on my phone either, Im sure its me and not the phone so if I get that up and running it should be ok to actually start deving.

The problem atm with android though is that there is no real interesting hardware, and by interesting hardware I mean a proper STB device running gingerbread, before that time a port is not extremely interesting IMO.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-...oring.html

CM7 RC1 (link 1) is a gingerbread ROM that is portable to many android devices. (Including the Evo) which has been given full HDMI out (link 2) capabilities via CM7. (though the public release is a short time off) Is it anymore feasible considering these recent developments?
jaredades Wrote:http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-...oring.html

CM7 RC1 (link 1) is a gingerbread ROM that is portable to many android devices. (Including the Evo) which has been given full HDMI out (link 2) capabilities via CM7. (though the public release is a short time off) Is it anymore feasible considering these recent developments?

Did you read my statement? No dev have the devices nor have the money to buy so expensive stuff as plain development machines. Also how is evo (even if it has hdmi) a stb or tablet?

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I also think it's premature- Google needs to have cheap STBs out there like ATV2.
There are a multitude of cheap Tegra2 tablets already out there with native HDMI support, capable of decoding 1080p h.264 MKVs in realtime. There just hasn't been a big fuzz about it because they're not from the "big companies", but rather being sold as OEM devices for smaller companies to slap their own brands on.

And with all the "big" device launches this spring(the Xoom for one) it's not "wait and see" anymore. Imagine just bringing your PHONE over to your buddys house, hooking up the HDMI cable and playing a 1080p movie straight up on his TV, all natively through XBMC. No computers, no nothing. That would be just awesome.

I'm not suggesting for anyone to buy one of these tablets or phones solely for developing, nor do i have the money to donate one.
All i have is a dream :>
dagbro Wrote:I'm not suggesting for anyone to buy one of these tablets or phones solely for developing, nor do i have the money to donate one.
All i have is a dream :>

Well without hardware for devs all you can is dream Wink

Someone need to have a device otherwise its impossible to develop it, nor gain incentive enough to do it. So someone needs to get a device and do the port or someone needs to donate one to someone who is willing.

And yes, the xoom or whatever equivalent will come in the nexus line might be a nice target platform, not like anyone is arguing that.

dagbro Wrote:There are a multitude of cheap Tegra2 tablets already out there with native HDMI support, capable of decoding 1080p h.264 MKVs in realtime. There just hasn't been a big fuzz about it because they're not from the "big companies", but rather being sold as OEM devices for smaller companies to slap their own brands on.

Bull Smile Tegra2 can't hw decode h264 [email protected] or above. I know because I have one (Tegra2 dev kit). That really limits the video content to SD. Too bad, it's a nice chip except for that.
OMG.
My mentor asked me to see if it is possible.
And now i get the answer.
topfs2 Wrote:Did you read my statement? No dev have the devices nor have the money to buy so expensive stuff as plain development machines. Also how is evo (even if it has hdmi) a stb or tablet?

I did read the post. I assumed it was more probable that devs would have an android mobile device (AnMD) at their disposal, rather than a tablet or a STB. I suggested a device like the EVO 4G because it is rather inexpensive to obtain and has an HDMI output. (I've seen some for as low as $150 USD and less via trade) Also, many AnMD are easily rooted and flashed via unrevoked3. In addition, Cyanogen's Mod 7 enables AnMD to run Android 2.3.3 (gingerbread, as of build 11) and have yet to release a build that supports full HDMI out, though they have released:

http://youtu.be/6_hz8LmBEr8

In my imagination, I have an AnMD networked to a NAS and simply dock my phone next to my tv, turn on and tune in with XBMC and a Wiimote. Since I obviously have no technical programming knowledge, or understanding of how this would remotely be possible, I'm on my way to click the donate button. Thanks to Team XBMC for all their hard work.
The Galaxy Tab is able to play 1080p mkv Files:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6aXnsUw9k
jaredades Wrote:I did read the post. I assumed it was more probable that devs would have an android mobile device (AnMD) at their disposal, rather than a tablet or a STB. I suggested a device like the EVO 4G because it is rather inexpensive to obtain and has an HDMI output. (I've seen some for as low as $150 USD and less via trade) Also, many AnMD are easily rooted and flashed via unrevoked3. In addition, Cyanogen's Mod 7 enables AnMD to run Android 2.3.3 (gingerbread, as of build 11) and have yet to release a build that supports full HDMI out, though they have released:

http://youtu.be/6_hz8LmBEr8

In my imagination, I have an AnMD networked to a NAS and simply dock my phone next to my tv, turn on and tune in with XBMC and a Wiimote. Since I obviously have no technical programming knowledge, or understanding of how this would remotely be possible, I'm on my way to click the donate button. Thanks to Team XBMC for all their hard work.

Ok, I might have been to harsh on you but the problem is that EVO 4G does not have close to the same hardware as a tablet. If it had then I agree it would be a nice way to get development going cheaper. Without proper hardware to what you are targeting (which is not the evo most likely) you might as well not try since its not representative and any optimizations you do may be null.

Another thing with having tablets if you target them is to have more devs looking at getting touch working good, that with skin adjustments and core support.

• 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such?6