• 2(current)
Ordered MK802
(2012-06-15, 20:35)lrusak Wrote:
(2012-06-15, 17:04)live4ever Wrote: A concern would be how well the wifi works for high bitrate stuff.

Me too.. No LAN = me don't care so much

Just hook up the MK802 with a USB hub and a USB Lan adapter and your all set Wink
(2012-06-15, 17:04)live4ever Wrote: A concern would be how well the wifi works for high bitrate stuff.

im not even using LAN as we speak. im already in WiFi mode!!
(2012-06-15, 21:40)jompan87 Wrote:

Just hook up the MK802 with a USB hub and a USB Lan adapter and your all set Wink

Nod
Hello all, I wanted to chime in for just a second. I know some are concerned with the power of the wireless capability of the MK802. It supports up to 'N' speeds. I've streamed a 1080p movie wirelessly with no hiccups. I play 720p movies constantly and neither require starting and stopping or any buffering pauses. For being such a small device and small antenna it's been impressive.

There are several things I hear that people think the MK802 lacks. First is BlueTooth, then Ethernet, then I/R, then they want more USB ports. Ok, firstly the device was built with Android in mind as the AllWinner chipset was built to provide/handle high bitrate video It's purpose was to create impressive tablets. The reason it's become so popular in the "mini pc" movement is that it supports all connections (ie.. gps, hdmi, bluetooth etc..) and it boots from microSD natively, so no "hacking" involved so to speak to install Linux or other distros. It handles 2x1080p (2160p) which from a chip this small is extremely impressive. Which is why I starting looking into the MK802. I am a U.S. supplier of the MK802 and it started because I want to see XBMC run on this device.

I think if there is enough interest that it could be incredible for the community. I am working with the manufacturer to add BlueTooth and I/R. I'm not interested in Ethernet because you can already use a USB ethernet device to get wired connectivity. Secondly it supports a USB hub so you can connect more than one device. So what I'd like to see if if there are 'serious' persons on getting XBMC running successfully on MK802. If so, maybe I can provide the device for free. Now I'm not looking for 100 e-mails of people saying they are 'serious' about it. I genuinely want people who have an interest in this.

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer, it's not something I can do so I would like help. If everyone thinks this is not going to work or be successful, let me know. I'm invested in the MK802 for the purpose of XBMC and if it's not going to work, let me know what will. I can have a device made.

I'm sorry for the rant but I believe the MK802 is a powerful device that I think would shock you.
@OvalElephant

Thanks for the info.

If I hadn't just ordered a Mini X from dealextreme the other week, I would be taking you guys up on your offer of the 1GB MK802. It's cool that there's a US supplier that's also a fan of XBMC :D
IR would be awesome!

hey OvalElephant!

Nice to see you here!

i too, hope to see XBMC run on this MK802 unit!

Preferably a XBMC only O/S just like OpenELEC team provides!!

Smile
OvalElephant

Yes the IR would be awesome... as long as it works all correctly.
Would be fun to have something that small that runs XBMC....

Here is my results on a DONGLE that turns on my HTPC from total state off.... but it's also because of the motherboard. Check it out.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132960
(2012-06-15, 19:44)j1nx Wrote:
(2012-06-15, 17:26)eskro Wrote: i wanted to make my own MK802 thread.
so im re-inventing it!

Fair enough Laugh

As a heads up. Be aware that the company making the MK802 took some shortcuts if it comes down to the HDMI output, protecting the voltages coming out of it. Be carefull as you might destroy the HDMI output or even worse your TV's input.

Better subscribe to the "arm-netbook" mailing list and hop on to the "arm-netbook" IRC channel to keep yourself up to date about the latest development.

Good luck, I keep an eye on your thread.

@
OvalElephant

Can you answer this statement? is it true that the HDMI will mess up your ports?
(2012-06-16, 17:02)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-06-15, 19:44)j1nx Wrote:
(2012-06-15, 17:26)eskro Wrote: i wanted to make my own MK802 thread.
so im re-inventing it!

Fair enough Laugh

As a heads up. Be aware that the company making the MK802 took some shortcuts if it comes down to the HDMI output, protecting the voltages coming out of it. Be carefull as you might destroy the HDMI output or even worse your TV's input.

Better subscribe to the "arm-netbook" mailing list and hop on to the "arm-netbook" IRC channel to keep yourself up to date about the latest development.

Good luck, I keep an eye on your thread.

@
OvalElephant

Can you answer this statement? is it true that the HDMI will mess up your ports?

OvalElephant,

If you want to give your supplier/manufacturer some more info. You can read throught the; "MK802 mini pc case removed" thread of the arm-netbook mailing list of May;
http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-....html#4015

Tsvetan Wrote:what is interesting here is that they do not use AXP209 which means that
they either abuse A10 specs, either the power sequencing is not so critical
for A10, seeing that they spare the expensive TVS (one TVS cost as much as
SY8008 and there are 3 for the HDMI protection) looks like this vendor
loves to gamble and do not care too much for the long term reliability of
this product
Can anybody confirm that MK802 supports CEC? If so it could be managed via my TV's remote (which also supports CEC) using libCEC? Tongue
Thank you for the feedback and questions. I'm not aware of the shortcuts with the HDMI ports but you also have to know that there is more than one factory manufacturing. Some of them may be taking shortcuts. I will be speaking with several of them tomorrow so I'll be sure to ask if they are aware of any differences. A colleague will also be at one of the factories within the next two weeks so I'll make sure he's thorough on the research for HDMI power. The last thing we need is HDMI blowing ports.

The other thing is that since several factories make the systems they may not all be running at 1.5GHz. 1.5GHz is the max the A10 should run. With that being said the ones that carry are set to 1GHz but can be over clocked. 1.2GHz is about as high as you want to go to remain stable unless you can provide proper cooling.

I hope to have at least some answer on the HDMI ports by Sunday night so I'll post what I learn on Monday.

Here are the specs for the AllWinner incase you'd like to know (this is from AllWinner so it's valid):
Features:
CPU:
-ARM Coretex-A8 core
-32KB I-Cache/23KB D-Cache/256K Ll2 Cache
-Using NEON for video, audio, graphic workloads eases the burden of supporting more delicate accelerators across the SoC and enable the system to support the standard of tomorrow.
-RCT JAVA-Accelerations to optimize just in time (JIT) and dynamistic adaptive compiliation(DAC), and reducesmemory footprint up to three times
-Trustzone technology allows for secure transactions and digital right managements(DRM)

GPU:
-3D support Open GL ES 2.0/ Open VG 1.1
-2D support BLT/ROP2/3/4
-Rotation 90/180/270 degree
-Mirror/alpha (including plane and pixel alpha) / color key support
-Scaling function with 4*4 taps and 32 phase
-Support format conversion

VPU:
-Video Decoding (Super HD 2160P): Support all popular video formats, including VP8, AVS, H.264, H.263, VC-1, MPED-1/2/4
-Video Encoding: Support encoding in H.264 HIgh Profile format:
-1080p@60fps
-720p@100fps

Display Output Ability:
-Support HDMI V1.3/V1.4
-Flexible LCD interface (CPU / Sync RGB / LVDS) up to 1920*1080 resolution
-CVBS/YPbPr up to 1920*1080 resolution

And the list goes on. If you want to know many more technical specs, I have the AllWinner A10 data sheet.
I did look and the A10 does support CEC_HDMI. Now whether or not it is configured on the MK802 I don't know, so that will be another item to ask. I'll confirm by Monday if I get an answer.

Thank you for all of your replies and responses.
thanks to you OvalElephant for those precisions!!

Cant wait to test this thing!!

Smile
This look awesome, I cannot wait to see progress on this little yet feature rich device.
@OvalElephant

The 1.5 Ghz you read here and there is a marketing trick of the chinees. It is basically the sum of the CPU and GPU. It will NOT run at 1.5 Ghz, although you can run at 1.2 Ghz the standard is just 1 Ghz.

Would love to see your feedback of the manufacturer about the HDMI power.

(ps will reply your email a bit later today)
For all of you who are still waiting for the MK802 here's a short demonstration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bxohWS0vpg

I know, my english sucks Tongue

PS: Cant wait till/when I get xbmc running on this *pokes gimli* Big Grin

PS2: @j1nx, the ethernet lan adapter works out of the box with android using the hub in my video( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ethernet-Externa...19d21b2083 )
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ordered MK8023