• 5(current)
Ordered MK802
(2012-06-22, 23:01)OvalElephant Wrote: Hello All,

I'm sorry I haven't written as I said I would. I've been working on other projects but have some answers now.
The HDMI ESD issue is true. There isn't a Rclamp to assist in ESD so it is possible for an HDMI port to pop.
Secondly there is a statement regarding the a10 Power Chip, well, there isn't one.
I recently ordered the MK802 and just as it shipped I stumbled upon this post. My worst case scenario, could these ESD discharges/transient voltage spikes on the MK802's end brick out a receiver as well? (An LG IPS236 display, in my case).

Furthermore, is it possible to somehow solder RClamp0502B to the MK802 board? By using standard soldering iron? The component itself isn't too expensive.
It is possible to solder them on yourself I believe. They have the pads for it. As for brick out a receiver, I'm not too sure. I know it can pop the HDMI port on a TV without effecting anything else. I'm not sure if the receiver itself would be fine. I'd think it would have some type of protection mechanism for HDMI (any port for that matter) spikes.
Hope this helps.
Is this the Flying Mouse Remote? http://www.ovalelephant.com/image/cache/...00x500.JPG
I would rather a D Pad for controls.

I would prefer to have a remote instead of mouse. Is the mouse using 2.4GHz? Could a remote control use that too.

What I really want is a remote with a keyboard.
We have several different remote keyboards. We just have not updated the website for them yet. Give me about a day or so and I'll have them listed. On one side are controls and On the other side is a keyboard, and it also has Gyro sensors. We also have a small keyboard that has a mouse on the side. It is the only remote that is backlit.
I'll have them updated and put as links.
OvalElephant,

I am new to XBMC and stumbled upon this post. Please count me in if you can port this device with XBMC...

OvalElephant or j1nx et al.,

Great looking specs, hope to place a pre-order soon.

This might be a little off topic but 90% of my mkvs are encoded with AC3 or DTS audio. I noticed that the audio specs on the website do NOT list these as supported.

So what will Android/XBMC do if these audio streams are found and they can not be passed thru to a capable receiver or TV? On my ATV2 these audio streams seem to be downmixed either by XBMC or some ATV2 hardware component, not really sure which.

I'm not really interested in re-encoding my videos to AAC, like most people suggest.

Regards.
@atv2jber and all others interested.

So the audio specs do not include AC3 or DTS but will now. I have taken 3 different .mkv files all at 1080p. 1 was AC3, the other was DTS and the last was AC3 and 3D. Needless to say they all played flawlessly. I also looked at the audio stream and it stated what it should have. It didn't down convert.

I have to admit, I was a little skeptical on the 3D options but wow, there are a lot to choose from! Top/Bottom, Left/Right, Red/Green, Interlaced, etc... it pushed out 3D even-though my monitor isn't 120Mhz. Now I didn't have glasses to validate but it certainly looked 3D.

I hope this helps.
(2012-06-25, 18:15)rogerthis Wrote: Is this the Flying Mouse Remote? http://www.ovalelephant.com/image/cache/...00x500.JPG
I would rather a D Pad for controls.

I would prefer to have a remote instead of mouse. Is the mouse using 2.4GHz? Could a remote control use that too.

What I really want is a remote with a keyboard.
it would not surprise me if the MeLE F10 Fly Mouse (3-in-1 2.4GHz Wireless Air Mouse + Keyboard + Remote Control) is compatible with that receiver as it is for MeLE A1000/A2000 which is also a Allwinner A10 device:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mele-f10-fl...ack-128312

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpCnKqiLTMM

As you can see that Mele F10 Fly Mouse Remote does have a keyboard, and it is also called a "fly mouse"
I have an update. As we are working to customize our Oval Elephant time is against us. We were hoping to have the female HDMI port included in an early batch but it's looking like it will take longer. We aren't sure how much longer as there is a significant cost to making this type of change, among the others. So for all orders we are including a female/male HDMI extension cable. If you need a female/female adapter, we have those also but for a small price.

I know it was mentioned that the female HDMI port would be included sooner so I am sorry. We are trying...
I wanted to give an update and will also post on other threads to prevent any confusion.

I hope you all understand.
-OE
No worries, personally I'm okay with the male connector. One of the TV's I'm considering putting one of these devices on has a recessed side HDMI input and these devices look like they'll fit in there with enough room to run the cable off it for power while keeping it fully hidden. Instant smart TV.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

To ovalelephant, why you guys are changing to female HDMI port, is there any reason or benefit of it, otherwise I feel its convenient to connect side HDMi port on Tv.
use +/- ⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓

@OvalElephant, thank you for the reply.

Are you connected to a TV or receiver that is AC3/DTS capable? If so then the streams will just be passed though and decoded by the TV or receiver. I will have the OE connected to a TV that is only 2 channel stereo capable, which means that the audio needs to be mixed down to 2 channel stereo by the OE before going via HDMI to the TV.

In my case the OE needs to either decode the audio stream in software or hardware and someone needed to pay for the license.

Thanks.
@ ykhehra1, changed the male to female HDMI port was a suggestion from others. We felt that originally the male HDMI was a benefit but there seem to be other applications where it may not be applicable. For example, Motorolla has a LapDock that has a male miniHDMI which the MK802 can plug into if you wanted this sort of application. There isn't a full female to miniFemale cable available. We do however offer the full female/female cable so you could use full male HDMI cable to female miniHDMI to accomplish connectivity. The other statement was that the device may be too wide and block other HDMI ports on the TV/Monitor/etc.. so with that in mind we decided to include the HDMI extender cable. We weren't sure if this would satisfy the community, so we continue to redesign the PCBA to have female HDMI. The last observation was that it could be a single point of stress on the board.

It would be a simpler feat to not change the HDMI for at all. What we have considered is customizing the case so that if the extension cable was used the cap would remain on the OE to provide support for cable bends and relieve the stress on the board. And if you wanted to plug the OE directly into the component then you could simply remove the cap and plug it directly in.

For those of you reading this, would you mind providing your option? It can be private or public. I say private so that theren't aren't a ton of added replies. What I could then do is aggregate them into one posting based upon results.

Thanks again!
This is interesting. Any plans for a simple allwinner a10 board with Ethernet. Should be pretty inexpensive to produce. Like the raspberrypi or via apc.io board.

Is there no open development on getting xbmc working? Instead of a few people working in secret wouldn't it be better if there was open development so people can work together without reinventing the wheel.
@cornbell
The ethernet we originally though this would be nice but in the end, who uses wired connections that much anymore, and if you do then a USB ethernet dongle can be used. We ship all of our OE's with 4port USB hub to help accommodate multiple dongles. Secondly the ports are fairly big. We want to keep a slim form factor. And while you may think it isn't that difficult to add this, the entire PCBA has to be redesigned. There isn't any room to fit an ethernet port on the device. If there is enough interest for this, then it may become an option.

As for the XBMC port. Here is the issue, AllWinner does not open their code for development. They do provide some source code for Android and you can request coding for Linux however the hardware itself isn't open to this capability. With that being said, we trying to get the factory to put a UART on the board to help with other kernel development.

I hope this helps.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ordered MK8023