Is this12TB Nas worth getting?
I currently have my HTPC ([Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D) and a LaCie Network Space 2 2TB.

The NAS is pretty much full now and getting very slow. It also means I have to download my tv shows in SD......yock Sad

This is the NAS I have been looking at. Its a Synology DS411+II

Heres a bit of the hardware
CPU Frequency : Dual Core 1.8GHz
Floating Point
Memory : DDR2 1GB
Internal HDD/SSD : 3.5" or 2.5" SATA(II) X4 (Hard drive not included)
Max Internal Capacity : 12TB (4X 3TB HDD) (Capacity may vary by RAID types) (See All Supported HDD)
External HDD Interface : USB 2.0 Port X 2, eSATA Port X 1
Size (HxWxD) : 184 X 168 X 230 mm
Weight : 2.23Kg
LAN : Gigabit X1
Wake on LAN/WAN
System Fan : 80x80mm x2
Wireless Support
Noise Level : 22.5 dB(A)
Power Recovery
AC Input Power Voltage : 100V to 240V AC
Power Frequency : 50 / 60Hz, Single Phase
Power Consumption : 41,8W (Access) ; 16,5W (HDD Hibernation)
Operating Temperature : 5°C ~ 35°C (40°F ~ 95°F)
Storage Temperature : 15 to 155°F (-10 to 70°C)
Relative Humidity : 5% to 95% RH
Maximum Operating Altitude : 10,000 feet
Certification : FCC Class B, CE Class B, BSMI Class B
Warranty : 2 Years
Info from Synology website

I want to get 4x3TB drives for it. Which would be the best?

I still do not know which variant of RAID to choose from. To be honest im a bit confused by it all. Without knowing all the ins and outs and variables I don't want to made a mistake. Just off this description is there any type that people would recommend for my use. Im thinking RAID 5
Basically Its just for media storage and it connected to my HTPC via ethernet cable.

Only other thing is that its runs off a Dual Core 1.8Ghz Atom CPU with 1GB RAM. Will this be powerful enough as the drives get full?

Would anybody recommend this drive or something similar?

Thanks for reading
So I hear I can run xbmc off my old commodore 64.

Pretty cool......pretty really cool
Synology and QNAP boxes are pretty common and sophisticated - its not a mistake getting one.
However, they are pretty pricey.
The DS411+II is actually quite powerful, if you aim for pure storage and dont want to run stuff like sabnzbd or unrar you might want to check the ds411j.

When i was in your situation, about one year ago, i also considered those NAS boxes, but ended up buying a HP N40l (£239.00) and an Unraid License (69$) which has room for 6 drives (2 of them in the dvd slot).

If you dont like tinkering and want something that functions out of the box - a QNAP or Synology box is the way to go.
Why not consider build an unRaid server.
With unRaid,...you can use mixed hard drives,..and add drives as you need them, and as you can afford them.
I built mine using drives, an old mother board, and ram I had laying around.
Only had to buy a case and power supply.

See my build link below for details.
(2012-06-15, 11:03)krasv Wrote: Synology and QNAP boxes are pretty common and sophisticated - its not a mistake getting one.
However, they are pretty pricey.
The DS411+II is actually quite powerful, if you aim for pure storage and dont want to run stuff like sabnzbd or unrar you might want to check the ds411j.

When i was in your situation, about one year ago, i also considered those NAS boxes, but ended up buying a HP N40l (£239.00) and an Unraid License (69$) which has room for 6 drives (2 of them in the dvd slot).

If you dont like tinkering and want something that functions out of the box - a QNAP or Synology box is the way to go.

Right.... if you don't mind the price and wan't something out of the box go for it! I know I would.

But I do have an unRAID server. At first you need to learn a few things. After it's all set-up it's pretty nice.
I don't understand the point of building or buying a NAS that can only hold four 3.5" drives. You can use a pretty cheap ATX case that can take ten drives (If you use 5.25"->3.5" drive brackets) without much money. Then just toss in a cheap and economical motherboard, a PCI-E SATA controller card and you can readily max the thing out. It seems like the cheap and effective solution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is this12TB Nas worth getting?0