RaspBerry Pi as media center and dvb-t PVR
HI,

i want to make a low cost media center
with this possibility
- play music and video (of course)
- play and record TNT ( dvb-t)
- use all elements with universal remote ( the best is the use of an android device)

I have an idea but i don't think if it's possible...

for the moment i have theses elements :

AV receiver
Yamaha RX-V465 ( HDMI-CEC compliant but never test it )
Video projector
Acer H5350 ( no HDMI-CEC compliant but IR remote)

and now my ideas

1st :

hardware
RaspBerry PI
+ dvb-t usb dongle
+ extern hard Drive
+ usb IR emitter
soft
XBMC (OpenElec)
+ add on for ir emitter ( if not exists i can develop it)
mythTv ( Huh or other, i don't know)

Remote
android device
+ xbmc official remote app

is it possible or raspberry is to slow ?

2nd idea but without raspberry

hardware
MK802
+ dvb-t usb dongle
+ usb IR emitter
+ NAS wifi
soft
XBMC (OpenElec)
+ add on for ir emitter ( if not exists i can develop it)
mythTv ( Huh or other, i don't know)

Remote
android device
+ xbmc official remote app

can you help me to find the best solution for my project ?

thanks
Hi,

It is not possible to watch live tv, because the raspberry pi cannot hardware decode mpeg (for licensing issues) and its cpu is too slow for soft-decoding it.
What is possible is to record tv, transcode it (into mpeg4 or h264) and watch it later.

There are two ports for xbmc : the openelec one and raspbmc (whose release might go out in a few days/weeks, but might not support dvb immediately).

For the backend, there is tvheadend or vdr which both have a web interface. The hardest part being the transcoding (care about a/v syncing and keeping quality high).

Playing music works (even if there can be some noise at the beginning of the track) and video works on ly for h264 and mpeg4 (which can be hardware accelerated);
(2012-06-15, 15:44)lenod Wrote: It is not possible to watch live tv, because the raspberry pi cannot hardware decode mpeg (for licensing issues) and its cpu is too slow for soft-decoding it.

In some countries the DVB-T signals are MPEG4; hence, there should be no need to transcode.
However, I have not tested this, nor have I found anybody who viewed a DVB-T signal directly on the Pi without transcoding.

Finally, even if the signal was MPEG2 it might be possible adding hardware that could transform MPEG2 to 4.
Not that I'd try :-)
My pi arrived yday. It's nowhere close for prime time. HDcontent in raspbmc is jerky for now.
flagadajones if you're still interested in DVB-T support (MPEG-4 only) on raspberrypi i've written a how-to do it, http://wp.me/p2DwLV-d .

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBerry Pi as media center and dvb-t PVR0