1st HTPC Project - Need Help!
Hello everyone...

For years i have been wanting to have my 400+ strong dvd+bluray collection centralised with a slick UI to browse my library.
I can't remember exactly how i stumbled upon XBMC but i'm really glad i did!!!

So far i have been using XBMC on my Dell XPS i7 along with my ps3 BD Remote which has been fantastic!!!
Now it's time to build a dedicated system. (Lets not mention the 400+ discs i have to rip!)

After trawling the forums for an age I finally took the plunge and bought....

AMD A8-3870 APU
AsRock A75M MOBO
4GB 1866 Crucial Ballistix RAM
2TB WD Caviar Green HDD

I haven't decided on a case yet but I am mightily tempted by Xcase Q100

The problem I have is on the power side. I really have no idea when it comes to PSUs.
I want it as silent as possible so the PicoPsu stands out immediately. Will this be ok? If so, which one?
If PicoPsu isn't powerful enough. What are my other options?

This build will be predominantly for my Media Collection using XBMC of course! and net streaming from time to time.
I'm mainly a console gamer so no real need to push it too hard!

I live in the UK so I think I will be limited to ebay.co.uk (Eskro's excellent guide & links point me there anyway!)

I'm sorry if this has been covered a million times before. I did a few searches on the forum but didn't manage to find the info I needed.

Any help would be appreciated!!!
I have that same processor, mobo, 4GB ram, and I have two physical hard drives (3TB and 2TB) in my HTPC. I'm using a SeaSonic 380W PSU in my system. It maxes out at 143-ish Watts when I benchmarked it in this thread . I can tell you my system is silent. I can't hear the PSU at all. If you want to go with a PicoPSU, you'll want one of the more powerful ones.

KraziJoe is using the same processor in his build and doesn't have any problems with a 150W PicoPSU using a 102W power brick, so he has 102W of available power.

These builds that have been using smaller PicoPSU's don't seem to have mechanical hard drives in them though. Startup on these hard drives can draw a good amount of power so check on that before settling on a PicoPSU.

On a side note, that 2TB hard drive will get full VERY fast with a 400+ library to rip.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-06-15, 16:52)Meatfeast Wrote: If PicoPsu isn't powerful enough. What are my other options?
If you want a silent HTPC, PicoPSU is the way to go. For a powerful A8-3870K, I"m recommending this "picoPSU-160-XT + 192W Adapter Power Kit". In case you transcoding blu-ray with HandBrake, it can spike to 150W. You might want to replace the stock CPU cooler with this "Scythe SCBSK-2100" too....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
One thing to note- Pico PSUs unlike regular PSUs don't run over spec, so get the largest one you can.

Also it makes me nervous that you imply that you are going to run XBMC on that 2TB Green. That will outright suck- a Green will drag down the interface with a large library. They really should only be used for storage.

So I would either get a 7200RPM drive or (recommended) keep the Green and get a SSD for the OS to run on.

(2012-06-15, 23:40)poofyhairguy Wrote: So I would either get a 7200RPM drive or (recommended) keep the Green and get a SSD for the OS to run on.
+1.......make sure to disconnect the Green prior to install OS on SSD....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
A couple of things to know about the picoPSU and your proposed components:

1. You're going to need some splitters and/or adapters -- a picoPSU offers 1x SATA, 1x Molex and 1x Berg and depending on the model might offer 1x P4 ATX.

2. In a microATX case, you'll have a nice big hole where the PSU should have gone but that can be solved here:

http://www.ecosmartpc.com/atxnofan.html
http://www.ecosmartpc.com/atx80.html

3. In a micoATX case, the picoPSU's plug might not reach where you can mount it so you might need an extender for that.

Wow, Thank you everyone for your replies.

Unfortunately looks like PicoPsu is probably out of the question. No one really sells them in the UK (yet) The only place as far as I can see is a seller on ebay UK. I priced up the "picoPSU-160-XT + 192W Adapter Power Kit " and it came out to £101.38 which is $159.34 USD!!!

I was aiming to keep my build near the £300 mark ($470 USD)
The APU,MOBO,HDD & RAM Has Taken me up to £200. I really don't want to be getting near the £400 mark if i can avoid it!

Saying that, I do heed Poofyhairguy (who's guide I did read Big Grin) and Bluray's warning about my HDD and will now be in the market for a SSD for my OS.I can kind of talk myself into that because I saw the 2TB not living in my case for too long and finding its way into a NAS or Unraid once I get my head around it!

So, I guess I need to pick your brains again! and apologies for wasting anyones time!

Are there any recommendations for a Good, Quiet as possible PSU? The "SeaSonic 380W" was recommended by Mick. What model number do you have?
Just incase I can't source any recommendations in the UK. What Brands, Wattage and Decibels should I be looking at? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Also, if possible are there any recommendations for a SSD just for my OS (win7)? Are there any to avoid like the plague? What size does everyone use? I was thinking a 30 or 60gb

Oh yeah, CPU cooler,.... Damn! I take it the best place for the stock one is the bin, right?!!

Thank you to everyone who has helped thus far.

This is the PSU I have, I admittedly did little research when buying it and got it because I saw it recommended in a post somewhere. I'm very happy with it. I can't hear it at all. If I was doing it over again, the only thing I'd change is I'd have looked a little harder and considered getting a modular PSU, so only the cords I need will be connected in the case. With these tight HTPC cases, a large mess of wires from normal PSU's can be a bit difficult to work with.

I have two different systems with two different SSD's in them. I'm happy with both. They are:

Crucial M4 64GB and the Patriot Torqx 2 32GB

The Torqx2 has faster write speeds but, I haven't noticed much difference between my two systems. Both of those are great SSDs, they were highly recommended on these forums and I'm happy with both of them. I bought both of them when they were on sale which is why I ended up with two different ones at different times.

As for the CPU cooler, The Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 (SCBSK-2100) is awesome.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD

Thanks Mick,...

I followed up on your recommendations and after hours of comparisons and trawling through reviews I ordered the Seasonic 380w & Crucial M4 64gb SSD.
So yeah, pretty much identical setup to yours (sorry!) I was Close to buying an OCZ Agility 3 or a corsair GT Force but the M4 ran out the winner due to reliability. There were a couple of PSUs I nearly bought, I did look at modular too but i think the seasonic hit the sweet spot for price and performance. I finally rounded off by going for the Xcase Q100 I mentioned in my original post.

Hope there aren't too many nasty surprises ahead!

Thanks again
Seasonic makes the best PSUs. You made a good choice.

(2012-06-18, 18:45)Meatfeast Wrote: So yeah, pretty much identical setup to yours (sorry!) I was Close to buying an OCZ Agility 3 or a corsair GT Force but the M4 ran out the winner due to reliability.

Hope there aren't too many nasty surprises ahead!

Nothing to be sorry about, it's flattering! If there are any problems, we are all here to help!

Let me know how this goes once you assemble. I'm quite interested in this build.
Yeah, we want PICS!!!!

Smile

Sure thing guys. Will post photos and a boot up video once its all built and set up.

Recieved the case, ram & PSU. Still waiting on the rest. Seems to be taking an age for everything to ship!!! I'm usually a very patient guy, but i'm really looking forward to the build and finally having it set up and ACTUALLY getting round to watching some content!!!!

Are there any BIOS tweaks i should be aware of for this kind of setup?
I copied a lot of ur stuff and the system is now built. It comprises:
Asrock A75M A75
AMD Quad-Core Black Edition A8-Series
Corsair 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz
OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD
X-Case Q100 + 500watt PSU
I gotta say this thing is really impressive. It breezes through everything and menu's are super smooth. I upgraded from an Acer R3610 and it used to judder on MQ3 skin. Movies playback flawlessly as well hooked up to my Sony AV Receiver (1080p MKV)
The stock CPU cooler is quite load so I'd defffo suggest getting a better one. I'm looking at the Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 (SCBSK-2100) but it might have to wait until payday. Whole deal cost me £301.42 ($468.94).
The case was a little bigger than i thought it would be which is only down side.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1st HTPC Project - Need Help!0