New Build - Experts advice requested
(2012-05-09, 21:24)zanic Wrote: Hi all,

following on from previous post I have purchased the following cable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Converter-...392&sr=8-1

And connected the 4 pin Noctua fan to the 3 pin provided by this cable, on the understanding the fan would run at full speed. However this does not appear to be the case as the fan is blowing extremly low, I would guess 1300rpm. What have I done wrong? I would prefer the fan to work at its full.
You can check in the bios under "Hardware Health Event Monitoring Screen" to see what fan speed is selected. You can set the fan speed to different level too. You can find the info in 3.5 of your owner manual......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I checked this area and that is true for the CPU fan and the chassis fan 1, which is connected directly to the motherboard. However the 2nd 80mm fan installed is PWM, 4 pin and connected to a 3pin fan adapter via molex. This does not appear under the Hardware Health Event Monitoring Screen
(2012-05-09, 22:16)zanic Wrote: I checked this area and that is true for the CPU fan and the chassis fan 1, which is connected directly to the motherboard. However the 2nd 80mm fan installed is PWM, 4 pin and connected to a 3pin fan adapter via molex. This does not appear under the Hardware Health Event Monitoring Screen
Usually 3-pin fan cannot be controlled by the software......another word, you cannot change the fan speed in the bios!
(2012-05-09, 23:39)bluray Wrote: Usually 3-pin fan cannot be controlled by the software......another word, you cannot change the fan speed in the bios!

false...

you only need 2 pins (+/-) to control a Fan's RPM using voltage control....

for P.W.M control, of course, u need a Fan's 4th pin.

(2012-05-10, 00:45)eskro Wrote: for P.W.M control, of course, u need a Fan's 4th pin.
That is what I'm trying to get at. Pulse-width modulation fan with 4 pins have the ability to adjust the rotation speed on the fly.......

This is one good example- GELID Solutions FN-PX08-20 80mm Case Fan with Intelligent PWM control.....

Hi guys, an update for you. I have since purchased a non-PWM fan so I no longer have the issue. I have just build the pc and I must say the Antec 300-65 is a lovely peice of kit. Will post some pictures shortly of the build. Now just reading up on the installation of XBMC. I currently am at the stage where Windows and the drivers are installed. The PC boots in 19 seconds if you are interested.

But now I am reading on even if Windows is the best idea Undecided

I really need the HTPC to be simple and switch and auto start the software (for my other half) what is the best way you guys recommend of doing this in Windows are there are a few suggestions around the forum. Would you like your thoughts.

Thanks
(2012-05-12, 14:18)zanic Wrote: Hi guys, an update for you. I have since purchased a non-PWM fan so I no longer have the issue.
I'm glad that you got the non-pwm fan and it work fine for you......with proper hardware, the pwm case fan is the best.....

(2012-05-12, 14:18)zanic Wrote: I really need the HTPC to be simple and switch and auto start the software (for my other half) what is the best way you guys recommend of doing this in Windows are there are a few suggestions around the forum. Would you like your thoughts.
Thanks
You can customize XBMC using Windows 7 with this- Customizing Windows for XBMC.....

An update on the build, currently running at about 38 degrees idle, which is not fantastic, but sufficient. Still deciding what to do, may well install the "Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B Low Profile CPU Cooler, SCBSK-2100" in the future, undecided at the moment.

With regards XBMC, I have:

Installed Windows 7 and XBMC.

Configured the Windows loading screen, logon and shutdown screen so that they are all XBMC branded.

Added XBMC to the startup folder with a 10 second delay which is simple and effective

The boot time including loading XBMC is between 25 and 27 seconds.

I am now in the process of finding the perfect skin (but there is a lot!) and investigating the add-ons (again there is a lot, some on official and others on unofficial repositories).

One thing I am primaily focusing on is the ASRock Smart Remote. With this remote I can already start the HTPC from shut down mode which is great. However pressing the same power button puts the PC into sleep state. How can I configure this so that the power off button sends a shut down command? Is this possible? Is it possible to configure the remote with XBMC specific keys?
(2012-05-16, 22:35)zanic Wrote: An update on the build, currently running at about 38 degrees idle, which is not fantastic, but sufficient. Still deciding what to do, may well install the "Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B Low Profile CPU Cooler, SCBSK-2100" in the future, undecided at the moment.

You'll love it, it's a great CPU cooler. I have it on my A8-3870K build and it keeps it around 38C while playing movies... while playing movies and transcoding a blu-ray with Handbrake it'll get up to 41C-43C. I have a different case than you but I don't have any case fans currently. I may add one to see if it cools it off further down the road.

(2012-05-16, 22:35)zanic Wrote: I am now in the process of finding the perfect skin (but there is a lot!) and investigating the add-ons (again there is a lot, some on official and others on unofficial repositories).

Just my opinion but Aeon MQ3!!!!!!!
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-05-17, 01:17)Mick1152 Wrote: I may add one to see if it cools it off further down the road.
Install a couple of these "SilenX EFX-08-12 80mm Case Fan" very silent fans in it. You'll be very happy w/ it.......

Hi All

I have now completed implementing a Cat6 network to link the file sharing server N40L to the new HTPC. The HTPC is now connected to the LCD TV but I have a few issues.

To give you an overview, the Onkyo TX-SR507 Amp is connected to the TV via HDMI. The HTPC along with Sky, XBox etc are then connected to the AMP via HDMI.

The HTPC loaded onto the TV successfully but I have a couple of issues:

1. The picture did not seem like true high definition quality, almost looked patchy/blocky.
2. When in XBMC there was a white line across the bottom of the screen.

Are there any settings that I am missing?...

3. Lastly regarding bitstreaming, how can I tell if this is active or not?

The audio output is set to HDMI, are the steps provided by bluray applicable for me:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128480

Thanks in advance

(2012-05-12, 14:18)zanic Wrote: But now I am reading on even if Windows is the best idea Undecided

I really need the HTPC to be simple and switch and auto start the software (for my other half) what is the best way you guys recommend of doing this in Windows are there are a few suggestions around the forum. Would you like your thoughts.

Stick with Windows. It gives you the ability to use this computer for multiple purposes.

To start XMBC easily upon Windows boot,...I copied the XBMC shortcut to the Startup folder.
Then I disabled account sign-ons,...so when Windows boots up,..it goes right into XBMC. Very transparent. Plus no registry changes.

@zanic-
For bitstreaming, it's not advice to connect AVR to HDTV. Make sure to do as following-

1. Make sure to connect your system this way for bitstreaming HD audio- HTPC-->AVR->HDTV via two HDMI cables
2. Install the latest Intel driver from here- Automatically identify and find drivers
3. Select Intel HDMI audio output in Windows 7 control panel sound playback
4. Download- HDAudio + Eden RC2 and configure XBMC audio output as shown below-
5. Be sure to select WASAPI: TX-SR507 (Intel High Definition.......) in XBMC settings/system/audio output and configures the rest of XBMC configurations as shown below-

(2012-06-16, 18:18)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-05-12, 14:18)zanic Wrote: But now I am reading on even if Windows is the best idea Undecided

Stick with Windows. It gives you the ability to use this computer for multiple purposes.

To start XMBC easily upon Windows boot,...I copied the XBMC shortcut to the Startup folder.
Then I disabled account sign-ons,...so when Windows boots up,..it goes right into XBMC. Very transparent. Plus no registry changes.
This is the best way to customize Windows- Customizing Windows for XBMC........

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Build - Experts advice requested0