[Build] A8 3870
So about 2 weeks ago I finally build my first HTPC!
So here is the Hardware I used:

Case: Silverstone ML03B (Changed this from a Silverstone LC20B La Scala because my wife wanted a smaller one)
PSU: Silverstone ST40NF
CPU: AMD A8 3870
FAN: Scythe Shuriken Rev.2
MB+GPU: Asus F1A75-M Pro
RAM:Corsair Vengeance PC1600, 8GB, CL9
SSD: Samsung MZ-7PC064D 64GB
BD: LG BH10LS38
Keyboard: Logitech K400

I was so happy when all the parts where the delivered, but than I got a shock. The PSU and the BD-Drive did not fit together in the case. I was so frustredted that I forgot to took pictures after that. My solution is not the best but it works for me. I placed the psu behind the HTPC. Since my HTPC sits inside of a shelf nobody sees it.

Boot-up time into XBMC 25 sec.
I can't here any noise form it, CPU-Fan runs with 1000 RPM, total silence! I love it!

Also I build my first NAS:
Case: Eolize SVD-NC11-4
MB+CPU:Asus E35M1-I
RAM:: Corsair XMS3 PC-1333 8GB
HDD: 3* Western Digital WD20EARX 2TB
System Storage: Transcend JetFlash 700 16GB USB-Stick

Pretty! Smile thanx for the pics...
Very cool! Why don't you return the PSU and get another like the:

FSP 80 PLUS Certified 300-Watt Micro ATX/SFX Power Supply FSP300-60GHS-R

or this one:

FSP 80 Plus Bronze Certification Micro ATX 400 Power Supply FSP400-60GHS(85)-R

These would give you more room to work with and get the PSU inside the case.
Even if you can't return it, it might be worth it just for the peace of having all the parts contained.
(2012-06-16, 18:13)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Very cool! Why don't you return the PSU and get another like the:

or this one:

Even if you can't return it, it might be worth it just for the peace of having all the parts contained.

Because they all have a fan Cool
I wanted a PSU without Fan but a bit more power because maybe i will buy a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-5500 HD for it later.
When I get unconfortable with the fact that the PSU isn't in the case I think I will switch the case.
Understood. Enjoy!
(2012-06-16, 18:48)Jesman Wrote: Because they all have a fan Cool
Unfortunately, fanless ATX tend to be bigger due to bigger heatsink.....how about this fanless "picoPSU-160-XT + 192W Adapter Power Kit".......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-06-16, 18:48)Jesman Wrote:
(2012-06-16, 18:13)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Very cool! Why don't you return the PSU and get another like the:

or this one:

Because they all have a fan Cool
I wanted a PSU without Fan but a bit more power because maybe i will buy a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-5500 HD for it later.
When I get unconfortable with the fact that the PSU isn't in the case I think I will switch the case.

The FSP GHS series has a special feature where the fan turns off under low loads (like HTPC). When it is on, I cannot hear it with my ear next to it. They are a great choice for small cases that take ATX power supplies.

picoPSU is a good choice too if you understand there's added expense of getting whatever splitters, adapters and extenders you might need -- plan ahead.

I have the same case and a ATX PSU. I used a Blu-Ray drive I salvaged from a friend's fried laptop. The laptop drive is shorter and fits in with the PSU. There's about 3/4" between the two to work with for hooking up the cables. The micro ATX PSU's will be a cheaper solution though than buying a laptop blu-ray drive (unless you have friend like me who leaves his laptop on the roof of his car and drives off) or... you can just leave it how it is since it works and that's all that really matters!
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-06-16, 23:36)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The FSP GHS series has a special feature where the fan turns off under low loads (like HTPC). When it is on, I cannot hear it with my ear next to it. They are a great choice for small cases that take ATX power supplies.

picoPSU is a good choice too if you understand there's added expense of getting whatever splitters, adapters and extenders you might need -- plan ahead.

I remember the FSP but I didn't thought that the PSU sice could be a problem, because I never noticed a big sice difference between different ATX PSU.
Now it's too late, I learned for my next one ;-) At right now I'm happy. Now it time to install some software and tweak it a little bit Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Build] A8 38700