Search for movie info from IMDB for movies not in library
I would like to be able to search for movie information for movies not in my library. Is it possible to search IMDB (or another sevice) for movie information (plot, ratings, trailer) regarding movies that are not in one's library (not scraping)? I tried the IMDB trailers addon, but it appears to only allow *browsing* through (i.e., not searching) movie trailers, but not movie information (plot, ratings, etc.). Can anybody help me use XBMC to search for movie information for movies that are not in the library?

I hope my question is clear. Please let me know if you don't understand. Thanks in advance.
See Adding videos to the library/Incorrect and missing content (wiki)
If they are not on your local disk. No
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Yes, I'm not talking about movies that are not on my local disk. I just want to be able to search for movie information on random movies. It seems odd that I wouldn't be able to do an IMDB search for movies on a media center like XBMC.
When you right click the movie file in the file browser, isn't there an option there to get info?
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
The movies I'm trying to look up info on are not in the file browser because they are not on the computer. Is there no way to search for random movies in IMDB on XBMC? This seems like a pretty elementary feature. Say you're with your friends and want to look up a movie that just came out in theaters. There's no way to do that in XBMC by pulling up movie info (e.g., plot, actors, rating, trailer, etc.) for movies that are *not* in the XBMC library?
It's not an elementary feature. XBMC's main aim is to watch movies, not to research them. If you just want to read a lot of text and not have any video, a web browser would be a much better tool. It's a media center that plays movies, not a does-everything-remotely-related-to-movies center.

In any case, why not just use TheTrailers add-on for those?
That was just an example. Even with TheTrailers, one cannot search for movie trailers. Needing a web browser defeats the purpose of having it on your TV and accessible with a remote, especially when it could be presented very simply in an XBMC window (just like for movies in one's library). Trailers would be part of it too, so there would be video involved.
I like the devs focus to be on XBMC as a media player, and ease of manipulation of media collections, everything that isn't related, set for much later.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Search for movie info from IMDB for movies not in library0