Small interface inconsistencies to be fixed
So finally I switched from boxee and loaded all my movies (~700 of movies and ~30 TV Shows) to XBMC library (I'm using May snapshot of Frodo). I stated using it quite intensively for few past weeks and I found few annoying (to me at least) inconsistence in user interface, or how the system can be set up or used by someone demanding a bit more than stock system. Do not take me wrong, it is by far THE BEST media center software I've seen so far, but has its own annoyances that once eliminated could make it just awesome!
So, to the details:
- I do not like Videos, Movies, TV Shows concept... While split to Movies and TV Shows makes perfect sense, from none of them you can get to files directly (if for any reason you do not want to include some of them in the library, like removable media or temporary folders). Then you need to use Videos, but this section does not give direct access to TV Shows or Movies, you need to dig there via library... what is the reason for such split? If Videos should be used primarily for Library setup, then put it under System! If for accessing files directly, then do not call it Videos, but Files and remove redundant access to Library content...
- As stated above above, I want separate Files section in main menu. I do have folders (or entire drives) from which I want to play my movies before I copy files to library controlled folders. I want to check quality or if I want to watch/save movie at all. Also sometimes friends bring their movies on removable media (so by definition not to be included in the library) and in existing setup getting to them is unnecessary complicated without direct Files menu.
- Searching is not very efficient as usually returns to many answers. Smart Playlists are way better to get quickly to movies I want to get to, but are not easily accessible :-( It is complicated to get them created from UI (e.g to find where you can create them). I even found searching the forum that lots of people do not know where to find and how to use them once created. Getting quicker access to once created Smart Playlist is possible by adding it to Favorites, but... again Favorites should be part of main menu rather than require to go way down to very bottom of the screen to invoke menu... Finally these are Favorites for some reason - so I want to access them quickly! Alternative is that once Smart Playlist is created it is automatically added as submenu of appropriate section (e.g. it appears along with Recently Added, Sets, Title Genres and so on under appropriate section; Movies, TV Shows, etc).
I'm not sure, maybe some of these concepts were already discussed in the forum... there are so many threads that is is not possible to find all posts that could touch this. So I tried to summarize flaws that I see. I hope that might inspire some of you folks to make XBMC even better!
Video/library layout and home menu are being drastically reworked for Frodo Final. The system is going to be really awesome, complete with customization control (might require skin support, not sure yet), and allow people to have whatever kind of "Video node" that they want. See Custom Video Nodes (wiki) for a basic idea of how the technical side will work. The default layout will also change and make more sense.

Keep an eye out on the monthly feature updates on the main page of http://xbmc.org . Things should really be slick once it's all done.
you mean "slick-er". this is already an amazing piece of work. huzzah!
@mirekma why not add the files mode to your favorites and either add that to your main menu or (as in Aeon Nox) have the Videos menu load that by default (as I do)?
@isamu.dragon, THX for suggestion! I tried this before and for some reason it did not worked for me. I tried to add to favorites network location and it was showing empty, so I skiped the idea. Now I tried it once again and it works! So now I can have relatively fast access to files via farites and get rid of unused (by me) videos. You are also suggesting adding this to main menu... how can I do this? I do not recall finding any information about such function other that adding shortcuts to main menu sections, but this anly allows to add plugins... Could you please point me into right direction?
@ned Scott

This is amazing. I know a ton of people (myself included) have been waiting for something like this. It will be perfect for those who wish to separate out children's content or documentaries. Can't wait!
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Small interface inconsistencies to be fixed0