Hot Swap Cage Suggestions
Hi peeps,
So while I wait for my parts to come in, I'm starting to spec out my unRaid server. I'd really like to get a hot swap cage for my tower, and I'm wondering if anyone has any particular suggestions. In case you are curious, here is my parts list:

MoBo: Intel D865Perl E210882
CPU: Intel P4 3.2ghz SL7E5
CPU Fan: Zalman 2-ball bearing Quiet CPU Cooler
RAM: 2 sticks of Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G
PSU: Apex AL-A400ATX 400w
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5*

I'm 90% sure that's the case i have, it's about 8 years old, so if it's not that one, it looks identical. Meanwhile, I've got 2x2TB drives as well as a handful of 200gb+ drives sitting around. I'm not entirely sure if my mobo is compatible. It's not on the list, but I've asked over on the lime boards and am waiting to see what they have to say.
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
Check out this review: 5X3 Cage Review

They like the Norco cage.
Thanks, I've seen that ... was just asking for people's thoughts over here.
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
I like the Norco units as from what I understand they move a lot of air and that will keep your drives going longer.

With that said since you are obviously doing a budget Unraid box I would look away from expensive hot swap cages (as Unraid does not support hot swap) and just get a cheap Cooler Master 4 in 3. The huge amount of money saved needs to go towards your PSU (that Apex one is not going to do a good job) and maybe a new mainboard (something with more options for expansion other than plain PCI as plain PCI sucks).

I think poofyhairguy is right, alltough hotswap is also easier for installation, even if you should not have the need to do it often.
For that reason i searched for a small case with integrated hotswap for my freeNAS server, I ended up with a Eolize SVD-NC11-4 and I love it and the hotswap also just looks great Smile
You have to ask yourself it you'll really be swapping anything. And, if you are, say to take a backup off site, if you could just use an external USB or eSATA drive to do it.
Thanks for the tips y'all. I'm really just looking to be able to get my drives in and out without having to open the case (call me spoiled). However, I was nervous about my board and after some notes from the people over on the lime boards, it's clear i am basically going to be using my case and hard drives and getting a new mobo, processor, ram, and psu :-( Thus, nothing funky for the case until a later time.
The Mi7 (full specs)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hot Swap Cage Suggestions0