• 16(current)
[XBMCbuntu] XBMC 12.00 - Frodo beta release
(2012-11-13, 01:41)nmiller Wrote: In looking for something somewhat long term I was wondering which, if any, of these releases will continue to be updated monthly even past Frodo Final? I want to be able to continue using "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" to stay up to date with the latest monthly release.

at least regarding the xbmc packages: all of them
(2012-11-12, 15:42)wsnipex Wrote:
(2012-11-12, 15:15)erhnam Wrote: I created a new livecd bases on the xbmc unstable repository, which has been fixed over the weekend. Enjoy!

http://xbmcfreak.binkey.nl/xbmcbuntu-12....a01-v1.iso

IMPORTANT: this does NOT include Xvba support! AMD users are recommended to not upgrade to this version. They should just do "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" to get the latest xvba enabled package.
the Team Xbmc unstable PPA is official xbmc git master code only

Hello,
I installed v7.iso, and had to face some errors from skin.widget, artwork downloader, reFocus.big skin.
Finally, i found that the problem was xbmc, too low version.

i installed ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba and update xbmc xbmc.bin, all is good now.
Perhaps i didn't have to add this ppa ? and now, can i safely remove it and make another update ?

In other words : wich is the ppa pre-installed in the V7.iso from which i have to launch
apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
?
afaik V7 uses ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
if you are on AMD gfx, just keep that and upgrade via apt. A new package will land there soon.

otherwise you can change the ppa to the official xbmc ppa
(2012-11-12, 15:42)wsnipex Wrote: IMPORTANT: this does NOT include Xvba support! AMD users are recommended to not upgrade to this version. They should just do "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" to get the latest xvba enabled package.
the Team Xbmc unstable PPA is official xbmc git master code only

Thanks for the heads up!

I just built a machine with a new amd fm2 chip. Could you help me out with the best way to get to the latest pre-Frodo build. Should I get the Eden stable up and running, switch the PPA, and then apt-get update && upgrade, or is there a more efficient way to do it?

if you want xbmcbuntu, install the latest, then switch to the xvba ppa(see my sig). If your CPU is trinity, you also need to upgrade fglrx as described here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1212272

or you can install manually (using ubuntu quantal): http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996
(2012-11-13, 11:46)wsnipex Wrote:
(2012-11-13, 01:41)nmiller Wrote: In looking for something somewhat long term I was wondering which, if any, of these releases will continue to be updated monthly even past Frodo Final? I want to be able to continue using "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" to stay up to date with the latest monthly release.

at least regarding the xbmc packages: all of them

Am I understanding correctly that the V7 ISO release is based off the monthly build? I know it includes XVBA support even though I'm using an NVidia chipset so I'm not really concerned with that feature. It was just noted that the latest release was from the unstable build and didn't include XVBA...am I understanding correctly that those are nightlies and not the monthly? I just want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff. Though I admit most of my confusion comes because I thought even the nightlies had support for XVBA, but maybe I'm wrong. Besides XVBA what are the other differences between the two? What I'm looking for is the latest version with all the latest features of the monthly build, just not the nightly build. I understand there will still be risks in the monthly build. Thanks again for your assistance!
In reading further it appears that I may have been confusing the XVBA support with the latest version of OpenELEC and the current release, even nightlies, of XBMC does not include XVBA support. It appears only the XVBA release does. I think I've got that understanding right Smile

I guess all I need to know now, is whether there is a monthly ISO release that will allow me update from a monthly repo, not the nightly when I perform an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

My fear was that there will be a bug found after version 12 is released and I won't be able to upgrade or fix it without pulling from a new repo which may only be the nightly. Is there a way XBMCBuntu can be setup to update for "bug fixes only" when doing a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade? Not looking for new features, just worried about being stuck in a bugged version until the next XBMCBuntu release.
actually you can switch repos in any of the xbmcbuntu versions, also on plain ubuntu easily.

but if don't want to manually switch:
V7 ISO contains Xvba, improved Vdpau and some general video renderer changes. Consider it a end-user testing ground for video related stuff
Beta1 ISO contains mainline

both will receive monthly updates
So maybe I am misunderstanding things then. When you say "both with receive monthly releases, are you including Beta1 ISO that is available on the XBMC site? If the Beta1 ISO does, then will the finally release of xmbcbuntu 12 also get monthly releases? Thank you again for explaining.
I think I may be getting confused between the xbmcfreak beta1 and the xbmc mainline beta1. Sorry!
it all depends on which ppa is used. until now those are preview builds and therefore use packages from unstable ppas(that get updated monthly)

I think Xbmcbuntu 12 final will use the then stable xbmc 12 package and stay on that, with only maintenance updates.

again, you can change to whatever ppa you want.
Maybe there is some matrix to refer to that breaks out which is which? I think my confusion is in which ppa is which specifically. Sorry for all the questions and you've been very kind to assist!
I think I may be getting the idea of which is which. Please tell me if I'm close Smile I think the ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba is gonna be the best fit for me

ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba - XVBA and VDPAU improved monthly updated PPA (Unstable)
ppa:team-xbmc/unstable - Team XBMC monthly updated PPA (Unstable)
ppa:team-xbmc/ppa - Team XBMC stable build (Stable with maintenance updates. Possibly bug fixes?)
ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly - Only nightly PPA I could find (Unstable)
correct Smile

and we'll be adding our own team xbmc nightly ppa soon too.
I'm currently running Eden XBMC Live on my Atom based PC. Is it possible to upgrade to Frodo beta via apt-get -or- do I need to do a fresh install? I want to keep my settings/media etc. and trying to avoid a re-install.
Thanks,
You should be able to add the unstable or xbmc-xvba repo, then perform:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

I'd still back up /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata first.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBMCbuntu] XBMC 12.00 - Frodo beta release1