• 3(current)
[XBMCbuntu] XBMC 12.00 - Frodo beta release
All working fine here with further testing of AudioEngine, so decided to give the Live TV side of things a go.

It seems there is a problem with tvheadend that is installed by default on this, it's impossible to login unless you start another instance of it after killing original service and start it with -C switch, but upon reboot the same problem occurs - so completely unuseable.

The problem is down to tvheadend not being given permission to write to a config file...

Does anybody know how to sort this out, I have started tvheadend as root but permission problem still exists.

I would upgrade to the version from git, but that version won't auto-start by default and I have had no luck getting it to auto-start following any guides etc.

I realise this may appear off topic, but tvheadend is actually included in this ISO and it isn't functioning correctly as a result of being included incorrectly in this ISO...
(2012-06-23, 01:09)AbMagFab Wrote: Has anyone actually had bit streaming HD audio through and AMD/ATI chip?
Head over the Linux AudioEngine thread and read the first post. In short AMD linux drivers DO NOT currently support digital audio. The best you can get is DTS 5.1 but no HD audio! You'll have to get a discrete GPU if you want bitstreamed trueHD and Master Audio

I'm getting some strange behaviour but I suspect I have caused it. I am just posting in the off chance someone else is getting this as well?

When I boot my PC I get greeting with a terminal screen. I have to enter my login credientials and start lightdm which in turn starts XBMC.

I've tried exiting XBMC and logging back in via XBMC so it theory it should boot straight into XBMC. but no joy
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-06-23, 15:30)charlie0440 Wrote:
(2012-06-23, 01:09)AbMagFab Wrote: Has anyone actually had bit streaming HD audio through and AMD/ATI chip?
Head over the Linux AudioEngine thread and read the first post. In short AMD linux drivers DO NOT currently support digital audio. The best you can get is DTS 5.1 but no HD audio! You'll have to get a discrete GPU if you want bitstreamed trueHD and Master Audio

I read that - I thought the point of this build was to provide video acceleration and HD audio through the ATI?

I'm getting neither - and I'm seeing CPU pegged when idle, just looking at the hardware info menu.

And are you sure a discrete GPU is required? The AMD E350 certainly supports it in Windows, and I thought the ION2 was supposed to support bitsreaming of HD audio even in Linux?

I really want to get rid of my Windows builds, so if the AMD won't give me bitsreaming in Linux, how about the ION2?

Thanks in advance!
You are correct about Windows, its only Linux which doesnt have compatible drivers. The ION2 is NVIDIA and can bitstream HD Audio in linux. ION 1 can not.

Heres some more info on AMD from OpenElec forums:
Due to the way the fglrx drivers are implemented in Linux, ATI based cards cannot stream HD audio via HDMI (DTS and Dolby 5.1 are not HD audio codecs. You can still get surround sound, just not TrueHD or DTS-HD). This is because their audio system cannot handle more than 2 channels. At the current time, the radeon open-source driver only supports 2 channel HDMI audio when running Linux kernel >= 3.3. (phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?70035-HDMI-Audio%29)

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
So.... Will a Zotac ZBox ID40 and ID41 bitstream HD audio?

If so, is there a pre-Frodo Linux build out there that I can test? I have the AE build right now from that other thread, but it doesn't bitstream HD audio for me on my ID40, although the video looks awesome at 24p and 60p.

Or is this thread for that exact thing? I was hoping for a PPA, but an ISO build will do, and I'll test this on my ION2 is it should work on it?
Not sure if that is a ION or ION2. Your best bet though is to head over to the OpenElec HD audio thread (you will have to sign up to be able to read it) they have various Frodo AE builds ie ION, Intel Fusion & Generic build. That it where I started. You can then try it out for yourself.

EDIT: If you don't want to use the ISO in this thread, the first post has a link to the PPA you can use, but I would try OpenElec as it comes with the stablest graphics drivers etc all included

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi

(2012-06-23, 18:01)charlie0440 Wrote: Not sure if that is a ION or ION2. Your best bet though is to head over to the OpenElec HD audio thread (you will have to sign up to be able to read it) they have various Frodo AE builds ie ION, Intel Fusion & Generic build. That it where I started. You can then try it out for yourself.

EDIT: If you don't want to use the ISO in this thread, the first post has a link to the PPA you can use, but I would try OpenElec as it comes with the stablest graphics drivers etc all included

You rock! I just got a chance to download OpenElec. I grabbed the ION x64 one, created a bootable SD card, and it installed in about 2 minutes on my ION2 machine. The configuration was minimal, and NFS browsing is working natively now also, which is nice.

Just ran a few quick tests - regular 30i DVD ISOs, Avatar 24p DTS-HD MA, 300 TrueHD, and a couple Pixar DTS-HD movies - and everything seems to be bit streaming perfectly, as well as playing in 24p perfectly!

I'll try it for a few more days, then I think I'll just toss my Windows AMD/ATI Zotac's, and buy a few more of the Atom/ION2 Zotac ID41s.

Thanks for the pointer! This makes me really happy, as with this and MythTV I can finally be Windows-free in my house.

Now if there was a better MythTV F/E for XBMC, so I could just use my XBMC box, life would be even more perfect...
do you mean better myth front end or back end? that openelec thread should have ae pvr builds (they don't do them very often) or from the old AE thread (link in first post of openelec forum I linked to before), or the ISO of this thread includes pvr. All of which have mythtv fronted plugins which means you can use xbmc for watching tv as well. if I helped you why add to my reputation Smile

edit: you may have done this haven't checked but the guys at openelec are working hard on everything including fixing nfs, and appreciate all feedback! too many people testing with no feedback

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Just as a sidenote: These openelec builds, the nightly ones are done out of the same source as wsnipex ppa. So audio problems with the wsnipex version are a problem within the configuration of the underlaying ubuntu.

It is good to see, that openelec does exactly what it is intended to do:
Making everything work out of the box. Very good job!
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2012-06-23, 14:31)fritsch Wrote: @dan3o3:
Just build it on 64bit and fine or just wait some days till wsnipex builds new packages.

Mhh, yeah but I used the beta-Install CD. This one seems to be 32bit only or did I miss any option to install 64bit instead?

Regards,
Dan
(2012-06-24, 18:50)dan3o3 Wrote:
(2012-06-23, 14:31)fritsch Wrote: @dan3o3:
Just build it on 64bit and fine or just wait some days till wsnipex builds new packages.

Mhh, yeah but I used the beta-Install CD. This one seems to be 32bit only or did I miss any option to install 64bit instead?

Regards,
Dan

64bit option isn't available for now.
Working perfectly, many thanks Smile
thanks for this build, its working well, AE Stuff works great and after messing around for weeks with compiling my own, I finally have multichannel 5.1 flac audio files working the way they should which im very happy about!

Video calibration doesnt seem to be saved after a reboot which is annoying but as I suspend my box most, it shouldnt be too much of an issue.

No audio after resume until you play a video file (ie: stereo doesnt work at all until a video file with DD or DTS or something is played.) after stopping the video then stereo audio is back, but I think this is an Ubuntu 12.04 bug rather than xbmc but if anyone has a solution i'd be grateful.

Finally MCE remote doesnt resume the box if I use the instructions ive always used. I had to follow this instructions to add a rule in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1968487

its great to have some of my issues sorted though!
video calibration should already be fixed in the latest version of the testing ppa

@ernham, is the ppa enabled in your build or did you just add the xbmc package?
@wsnipex
There is an additional fix for video calibration I did yesterday. Is you ppa up-to-date?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBMCbuntu] XBMC 12.00 - Frodo beta release1