Silent / Fanless A8-3820 (65W) performance HTPC build
(2012-06-23, 13:52)Jokerjack Wrote: Just received my case and just wanted to confirm that it does come with the hole already drilled for the IR receiver. Just waiting for the MOBO and APU now.. can t wait
Oh nevermind, sorry! I read something else and haven't seen any pictures with a case without drive slot, which has a hole already ; )
Do you guys know the correct way to install the heatsink for the FC8, i have the asus F1A75-I DELUXE and theres the two plastic clips with 4 screws that hold the back plate on, just not sure how this thing fits.

Does my pics below seem the best way to assemble the heatsink as theres not much info on streacom's site.

(2012-06-26, 15:51)markus625 Wrote: Do you guys know the correct way to install the heatsink for the FC8, i have the asus F1A75-I DELUXE and theres the two plastic clips with 4 screws that hold the back plate on, just not sure how this thing fits.

Does my pics below seem the best way to assemble the heatsink as theres not much info on streacom's site.

hi sorry - my mobo and api are at the post office depo and i can't get them till the weekend to put the kit together.... boo Sad

EDIT: Looking at your pic above it seems to show the hole for the cooper pipes coming out in the same direction as the pci express slot, will you be using that slot as you might have an issue with the copper pipes? Like i say hopefully i can build this machine over the weekend so kinda hard till to answer till i've played with the hardware myself. try both ways and see what fits best Smile
(2012-06-26, 21:36)Jokerjack Wrote:
(2012-06-26, 15:51)markus625 Wrote: Do you guys know the correct way to install the heatsink for the FC8, i have the asus F1A75-I DELUXE and theres the two plastic clips with 4 screws that hold the back plate on, just not sure how this thing fits.

hi sorry - my mobo and api are at the post office depo and i can't get them till the weekend to put the kit together.... boo Sad

EDIT: Looking at your pic above it seems to show the hole for the cooper pipes coming out in the same direction as the pci express slot, will you be using that slot as you might have an issue with the copper pipes? Like i say hopefully i can build this machine over the weekend so kinda hard till to answer till i've played with the hardware myself. try both ways and see what fits best Smile
Ive ordered a radeon 6570 and this will be using the pci slot,(think i might have to drill some vent holes for the graphics card thru)
The copper pipes are only 250mm long and only stick out of the heatsink by about 5mm, but i think my assembled heatsink looks right now.

But im waiting for more parts to come from ebuyer hopefully by about friday.
(2012-06-26, 21:53)markus625 Wrote:
(2012-06-26, 21:36)Jokerjack Wrote:

Ive ordered a radeon 6570 and this will be using the pci slot,(think i might have to drill some vent holes for the graphics card thru)
The copper pipes are only 250mm long and only stick out of the heatsink by about 5mm, but i think my assembled heatsink looks right now.

But im waiting for more parts to come from ebuyer hopefully by about friday.

Great fingers crossed it all goes well

Ive just tried the Asus F1A75-I DELUXE motherboard in the FC8 this morning and looking at the left back heatsink where the 3 heatpipes go i can see it would be very close to the ATX Power connector and if i was to fit a PicoPSU 160-XT pictured below it would in no doubt come into contact with he lower heatpipe which i presume could be very hot.
Seeing that that ive ordered 4 more heatpipes this is going to be an issue.

Would it be a better alternative to either mount the PicoPsu somewhere else and use a atx extension lead or to even get a PW-200M which is 2.1/4" square and mount this to the back of the motherboard close to the front usb ports.

Some pics below.

Asus F1A75-i plus FC8

PicoPSU 160-XT

PW-200M

Any updates on this build? You guys are my guinea pigs for this before I pull the trigger myself. Smile

My theoretical build is very similar and I've run in to the same concerns of space and heat once a pci card and pico are in place.
I'm sorry for you, but if you had done a bit more research, you'd seen that problem before you bought everything.

Now, to your last question: I highly doubt the PW-200M works, since it would go inside to the mobo, right above the small headsing with the asus branding.. are you sure that pico wouldn't get in touch with that headsing? Is there enough vertical space?

Since an ATX extension cable should be quite cheap, that's what I'd try, but even so.. it's gona be a very tight fit and, if the heatpipes are too close to the ATX extension cable, I'd be a bit worried about what happens in the long term.

All in all, I'd say your best option is to exchange the mobo or the case, I'd guess that would be the least problematic and safe way.

Anyway, good luck!
hi - i have fitted everything but am currently having power issues.. been a while since i built a machine..

i am using the Streacom FC5 WS Fanless Chassis with Streacom 150W Pico PSU with 150W Adapter Power Kit,.

i have fitted the pico PSU in atxpwr socket on the MOBO (Asrock Socket FM1 A75M-HVS Micro-Atx Motherboard) but don't know where to plug the two leads from the power button on the case, i have tried them on the picoPSU but don't get any lights or power and also i have read that i need to maybe put one in the power LED socket on the mobo... can you please let me know where you install these two leads?

Also do i need to plug in the atx12 lead from the picoPSU to the mobo?

Thanks for your help Smile

EDIT: Figured it out Smile now to put an OS on there Smile
(2012-06-30, 06:36)tamarind Wrote: Any updates on this build? You guys are my guinea pigs for this before I pull the trigger myself. Smile

My theoretical build is very similar and I've run in to the same concerns of space and heat once a pci card and pico are in place.

building mine as well speak, i am also using a PCI card for hd freeview as this will be a PVR machine for the bedroom, will let you know how it goes Smile
(2012-06-30, 09:54)PatrickVogeli Wrote: I'm sorry for you, but if you had done a bit more research, you'd seen that problem before you bought everything.

Now, to your last question: I highly doubt the PW-200M works, since it would go inside to the mobo, right above the small headsing with the asus branding.. are you sure that pico wouldn't get in touch with that headsing? Is there enough vertical space?

Since an ATX extension cable should be quite cheap, that's what I'd try, but even so.. it's gona be a very tight fit and, if the heatpipes are too close to the ATX extension cable, I'd be a bit worried about what happens in the long term.

All in all, I'd say your best option is to exchange the mobo or the case, I'd guess that would be the least problematic and safe way.

Anyway, good luck!

Well the asus motherboard is on the streacom compatibility list for the FC8 so i presumed this would be ok, maybe thats why streacom only supply two heatpipes for the FC8 as apposed to 6 with the FC5.

What i have done since posting is to purchase the PicoPSU 160-XT and i can see that the caps of the PicoPSU almost touches the heatpipe block and i would guess this would get very hot so i have ordered a atx 24pin extension cable from eBay and hopefully sort a solution for this.

But with such a small case i guess this would be a challenge.

Ive just tried a power supply from a psu i have knocking about and think a atx extension would be the best idea here using cable ties to tie the cable to the back air vents.

(2012-06-30, 21:36)markus625 Wrote:
(2012-06-30, 09:54)PatrickVogeli Wrote: I'm sorry for you, but if you had done a bit more research, you'd seen that problem before you bought everything.

Anyway, good luck!

Well the asus motherboard is on the streacom compatibility list for the FC8 so i presumed this would be ok, maybe thats why streacom only supply two heatpipes for the FC8 as apposed to 6 with the FC5.

What i have done since posting is to purchase the PicoPSU 160-XT and i can see that the caps of the PicoPSU almost touches the heatpipe block and i would guess this would get very hot so i have ordered a atx 24pin extension cable from eBay and hopefully sort a solution for this.

But with such a small case i guess this would be a challenge.

Ive just tried a power supply from a psu i have knocking about and think a atx extension would be the best idea here using cable ties to tie the cable to the back air vents.

Looks good.. do you think 2 pipes will be enough? I have 6 on mine (FC5 case) and the cpu still gets hot? I did see somewhere that some people were ordering more pipes for that case, maybe you can bend the pipes up a bit to get over the ATX socket? Good luck with the build, finished mine lasst night and the slient running is wicked and well worth the extra money Smile
I've ordered 4 more from conrads which should be here this week,let u know how I get on the the build.
Hey there!

My HTPC is assembled now. The only real issue I had was, that with this motherboard the pipes were on one side too long and on the other side too short... I had to bend them a little bit, doesn't look nice, but it works and the temperature in idle is around 40-48°. So if you can avoid the A75 Pro4-M, use another one ;-)

I'm now having some issues with the movie playback. It works, but sometimes there are some strange stripes, especially in "fast" scenes, like car races, people running and so on. Additionally I think movies are not playing smooth (on my Boxee Box they play absolutely fine). On xbmcbuntu it's rellay terrible, on openelec & win7 it's better but not fine at all. I don't know what it is atm... I'm going to test my setup on a friends tv, maybe it's better there...

I'll keep you posted, but this will take some time to solve I guess...
Final pics please if you can Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Silent / Fanless A8-3820 (65W) performance HTPC build0