Silent / Fanless A8-3820 (65W) performance HTPC build
(2012-07-02, 15:23)Victory Wrote: Hey there!

My HTPC is assembled now.

win7 it's better but not fine at all. I don't know what it is atm... I'm going to test my setup on a friends tv, maybe it's better there...

I'll keep you posted, but this will take some time to solve I guess...
Congratulation.....!

For the playback issue....have you update the latest AMD driver (12.6) from here- AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver for Windows Vista/Windows 7 64-bit......you can start off by trying to enable "Enforce Smooth Video Playback" CCC Video/Quality, but disable everything else in it.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
the lines might be due to v-sync

In catalyst, change v-sync (vertical refresh) to "Always On"

that should fix it
i finished installing the os (win7) and xbmc and have fitted everything with no issues really to mention, happy that i have fitted everything ok but my CPU is getting very hot. I have had the blue screen of death a few times with the cpu hitting 70c, not good as this has happened during installing service packs etc, had to restore the os a few time because of it. Using he A7m pro-m mobo with the a8-3820 apu, if I'm watching 1080p then the APU stays around 50c to 55c as the apu is doing the work but the moment i start doing any cpu stuff the temp just climbs Sad

i have checked the CPU has enough thermal paste and have even put some on the heat sink where the 6 copper pipes go but so far i cannot keep the temp down, haven't even fitted the lid back on since I've had it Sad any ideas?
A8 is an extremely hot CPU. I tried 3 different aftermarket CPU coolers in a mini-ITX build before I gave up.

Not recommend by me.
its only 65w though but yeah i agree it is getting very hot... which is what streacom say this case can cool

would the AMD Llano A6-3500 be a better buy? lower heat and still 65w?

thanks in advance Smile
I remember reading somewhere (Beer40oz thread?) if you set the power to balanced rather than full power, the temps. drop. Check your power settings.
I would never use a AMD CPU over an Intel CPU in a completely passive build where heat and power consumption is of paramount importance and even a few watts difference can turn a stable HTPC into one like you are experiencing. The current crop of Intel CPUs just runs cooler. I hope Trinity will improve this issue.

That's just me. Both my HTPCs use under 35w at load.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364084/htpc-k...t_21025171
(2012-07-02, 16:42)bluray Wrote: Congratulation.....!

For the playback issue....have you update the latest AMD driver (12.6) from here- AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver for Windows Vista/Windows 7 64-bit......you can start off by trying to enable "Enforce Smooth Video Playback" CCC Video/Quality, but disable everything else in it.......

Thanks I'm going to try that! Hope it helps. If it doesn't, I'm trying to capture it with my iPhone and upload the clip then somewhere.

(2012-07-02, 19:30)aptalca Wrote: the lines might be due to v-sync

In catalyst, change v-sync (vertical refresh) to "Always On"

that should fix it

This issue occurs with v-sync enabled in XBMC (If I disable it, it looks really bad).
But I'm going to try it again with v-sync in XBMC and in catalyst enabled. Thanks.

(2012-07-03, 00:30)Jokerjack Wrote: Using he A7m pro-m mobo with the a8-3820 apu, if I'm watching 1080p then the APU stays around 50c to 55c as the apu is doing the work but the moment i start doing any cpu stuff the temp just climbs Sad

i have checked the CPU has enough thermal paste and have even put some on the heat sink where the 6 copper pipes go but so far i cannot keep the temp down, haven't even fitted the lid back on since I've had it Sad any ideas?

I put some thermal paste into the pipe block before putting the pipes in. After that, I put some more paste on to the pipes directly (of course only onto the part where the block is, not entirely).
Just to make sure (and to post it for other visitors of this thread): do NOT check the CPU temp in BIOS. It's not the real thing. Check the temp in XBMCs "System Info" directly, this is the value you can rely on.
Additionally I used some more thermal paste on the A8 directly, than I would put on a CPU with a fan.

(2012-07-03, 01:44)assassin Wrote: I would never use a AMD CPU over an Intel CPU in a completely passive build where heat and power consumption is of paramount importance and even a few watts difference can turn a stable HTPC into one like you are experiencing. The current crop of Intel CPUs just runs cooler. I hope Trinity will improve this issue.

That's just me. Both my HTPCs use under 35w at load.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364084/htpc-k...t_21025171

I'm using an A8-3820 myself, it runs fine with good temps. So it's not generally a hot CPU Smile But I agree, 65W CPUs of Intel are probably the better choice, if temperature is your highest priority. But the current models of AMD offer a better graphic performance, at least in the categories which are used by XBMC.
Graphics are the exact same for 1080p and 720p.
(2012-07-03, 12:13)assassin Wrote: Graphics are the exact same for 1080p and 720p.

what intel processor would you recommend then? want to be able to rip blu-rays and maybe play a game or two but not that bothred, the most important thing here is the ability to keep it quiet as its in my bedroom and dont want to hear any fans?

thanks Smile

EDIT: what the graphics card like on this one? will it do 3d? Intel Pentium G620T
Just undervolted from the bios and everything looking good, just left a 1080p film streaming for the last hour and temp didn't get over 54c. Gonna look at refining the voltage a little more to reduce the power usage down a little... When I get round to it I will update my findings, everything very fast and running lovely Smile
(2012-07-03, 21:17)Jokerjack Wrote: Just undervolted from the bios and everything looking good, just left a 1080p film streaming for the last hour and temp didn't get over 54c. Gonna look at refining the voltage a little more to reduce the power usage down a little... When I get round to it I will update my findings, everything very fast and running lovely Smile

did you had to change anything in the driver settings? can you maybe post your video settings of xbmc (and win7, if you changed something)?
that would be really nice Smile
(2012-07-04, 10:06)Victory Wrote:
(2012-07-03, 21:17)Jokerjack Wrote: Just undervolted from the bios and everything looking good, just left a 1080p film streaming for the last hour and temp didn't get over 54c. Gonna look at refining the voltage a little more to reduce the power usage down a little... When I get round to it I will update my findings, everything very fast and running lovely Smile

did you had to change anything in the driver settings? can you maybe post your video settings of xbmc (and win7, if you changed something)?
that would be really nice Smile

Sorry I haven't had anytime to turn on the htpc yet, will do tomorrow.. Haven't. Changed any of the default settings in the driver yet though. Know this is a silly question..but have you installed the latest Amd catalyst software, I let mine auto detect the apu but made sure everything was uninstalled first. I have also been playing with the voltage settings and will post the results soon.. Got the CPU temp down to about 40c with full performance Smile
Updated the initial post with some photos, more infos to come : )

A funny thing about the graphic issues I had:
After reinstalling OpenELEC, XBMCbuntu, Ubuntu, Win7 several times and trying a lot of different settings inside xbmc, I went to a friends place to check, if it's really the system itself or if it's my TV or receiver (Onkyo SR607).
We started the HTPC, using OpenELEC and tadah, everything worked fine. Of course that made my a little bit angry, because it seemed that, in worst case, I had to get either a new receiver or a new TV. After I came home, I instantly hooked the HTPC directly to my TV to check, if it's "only" the receiver. Playback was, like at my friends place, flawlessly.
So it had to be the receiver... I plugged the hdmi cable in the receiver and... also smooth playback, no v-sync issues or anything like that...

I am absolutely sure, we changed not a single setting. No idea what happened, but as long as everything works, I'm fine with that Big Grin
(2012-07-03, 12:44)Jokerjack Wrote:
(2012-07-03, 12:13)assassin Wrote: Graphics are the exact same for 1080p and 720p.

what intel processor would you recommend then? want to be able to rip blu-rays and maybe play a game or two but not that bothred, the most important thing here is the ability to keep it quiet as its in my bedroom and dont want to hear any fans?

thanks Smile

EDIT: what the graphics card like on this one? will it do 3d? Intel Pentium G620T

For 3D you will need an i3 processor but you will get a much faster CPU and graphics capability for htpc purposes on a par with AMD and as a bonus the i3 will consume less power, with less heat. If you were to get an H77 motherboard you will also be able to upgrade to the next generation Ivy bridge processors which will be a step up in both CPU and gpu capability. Unfortunately the Llano is a dead end upgrade wise.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Silent / Fanless A8-3820 (65W) performance HTPC build0