Silent / Fanless A8-3820 (65W) performance HTPC build
(2012-07-06, 14:36)DavidT99 Wrote:
(2012-07-03, 12:44)Jokerjack Wrote:
(2012-07-03, 12:13)assassin Wrote: Graphics are the exact same for 1080p and 720p.

what intel processor would you recommend then? want to be able to rip blu-rays and maybe play a game or two but not that bothred, the most important thing here is the ability to keep it quiet as its in my bedroom and dont want to hear any fans?

thanks Smile

EDIT: what the graphics card like on this one? will it do 3d? Intel Pentium G620T

For 3D you will need an i3 processor but you will get a much faster CPU and graphics capability for htpc purposes on a par with AMD and as a bonus the i3 will consume less power, with less heat. If you were to get an H77 motherboard you will also be able to upgrade to the next generation Ivy bridge processors which will be a step up in both CPU and gpu capability. Unfortunately the Llano is a dead end upgrade wise.

David

Agreed. I missed the initial question but I agree with what was said by David.
Just wanted to say ive been running this build for a little while now and have been totally happy with it, runs very quick and slient. Since dropping the voltage on the cpu i havent had a single problem. Thinking of building another one now Smile thanks for the help everything.
(2012-07-12, 09:52)Jokerjack Wrote: Just wanted to say ive been running this build for a little while now and have been totally happy with it, runs very quick and slient. Since dropping the voltage on the cpu i havent had a single problem. Thinking of building another one now Smile thanks for the help everything.

Nice to hear! So you choose the same hardware as I did? Can you maybe post your video settings like all the playback stuff and so on? I'm still running it not that smooth, thinking of getting a new TV ; )
(2012-07-12, 13:20)Victory Wrote:
(2012-07-12, 09:52)Jokerjack Wrote: Just wanted to say ive been running this build for a little while now and have been totally happy with it, runs very quick and slient. Since dropping the voltage on the cpu i havent had a single problem. Thinking of building another one now Smile thanks for the help everything.

Nice to hear! So you choose the same hardware as I did? Can you maybe post your video settings like all the playback stuff and so on? I'm still running it not that smooth, thinking of getting a new TV ; )

Yeah will do, have you changed the memory for the gpu in the bios.. This is set to auto and should be 512mb, did that and made sure the primary gpu was set to on board and not pcie, other that the only real change I made was to lower the voltage on the apu.. It lowered the heat and power
(2012-07-12, 21:08)Jokerjack Wrote:
(2012-07-12, 13:20)Victory Wrote:

Yeah will do, have you changed the memory for the gpu in the bios.. This is set to auto and should be 512mb, did that and made sure the primary gpu was set to on board and not pcie, other that the only real change I made was to lower the voltage on the apu.. It lowered the heat and power

What are your settings in bios to lower your cpu temps?
This is for a A6-3500?

Thanx....

Full performance? why not balanced....? you are not using the CPU 100% all the time....

Thanx
(2012-07-13, 02:27)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-07-12, 21:08)Jokerjack Wrote:
(2012-07-12, 13:20)Victory Wrote: Nice to hear! So you choose the same hardware as I did? Can you maybe post your video settings like all the playback stuff and so on? I'm still running it not that smooth, thinking of getting a new TV ; )

What are your settings in bios to lower your cpu temps?
This is for a A6-3500?

Thanx....

Full performance? why not balanced....? you are not using the CPU 100% all the time....

Thanx

Hi Beer40oz - it is currently running as balanced - what i menat to get across that there are no impacts to the performance of the APU other then reducing the power and temp if you change the voltage. I originally changed the voltage setting to 1.250v in the bios for the CPU but after scanning the net a little found an application that allows you to change the p states within the OS, i have since put the default value back in the bios and use the below method.

Infromation on undervaulting

More

As you can see this can be done on any AMD APU, all APU's leave the factory at a much higher setting that is needed as every APU runs at different temps. the below link is the toolset i used to undervault, you will need to lower the voltage from each P-State by around 10-20% to do this you can just run the app and adjust the voltage for each P-State, leave the settings on while running some tasks or software to see if your machine blue screens due to setting the voltage too low... the only bad thing you can do to your machine is make it unstable by undervaulting too much (which will just blue screen, if you havent commited the changes it will go back to default after the reboot)... once you have found a stable level you commit the change to run as a service, everytime the machine boots the service will apply the voltage settings to the P-Sates, this can be done for Balanced or Perfromance etc.

FusionTweaker

I would post my settings but i am currently at work, will do later... you really should do this on an A6 or A8 they both run at the same factory temps and voltage, they reckon that you can lower the power consumption down by as much as 32%!

I didnt go for that much but have reduce the core temp down by around 4c and powerdown by quite a bit... i can also confirm i have no side effects of doing this and would defo recommend it.

Hope this makes sense Smile

EDIT: I've rasied a new thread with the settings.
Guys ive managed to get my Streamcom FC8 with a amd 3820 Cpu, ive used all 6 heatpipes and used thermal paste on all contacts.
The problem is that in the bios im getting after 10 minutes idling cpu temperature 50c and motherboard temperature of 40c.
The heatpipes to gradually build up heat and release heat from the back large heatsink after 10 mins or so but im concered overall about the heatbuild up, shouldnt it be more like 35c and the motherboard was getting warm also, so im concered if the heat is going back into the motherboard and not all out of the heatpipes.

Any ideas maybe i need alot more thermal paste.

(2012-07-13, 14:46)markus625 Wrote: Guys ive managed to get my Streamcom FC8 with a amd 3820 Cpu, ive used all 6 heatpipes and used thermal paste on all contacts.
The problem is that in the bios im getting after 10 minutes idling cpu temperature 50c and motherboard temperature of 40c.
The heatpipes to gradually build up heat and release heat from the back large heatsink after 10 mins or so but im concered overall about the heatbuild up, shouldnt it be more like 35c and the motherboard was getting warm also, so im concered if the heat is going back into the motherboard and not all out of the heatpipes.

Any ideas maybe i need alot more thermal paste.

Are you temps from the BIOS? If so boot into you os and use a applciation to monitor to the temps of the CPU and motherboard, the BIOS monitoring isnt that great. Also i lowered my voltage within the CPU to lower the temps.. might be worth doing the same.

When you say 'lowered my voltage within the CPU to lower the temps.. ' what did you lower it down too i.e what setting etc.
Wouldnt mind comparing what others have had with there systems i,e bios monitoring.
(2012-07-13, 15:12)markus625 Wrote: When you say 'lowered my voltage within the CPU to lower the temps.. ' what did you lower it down too i.e what setting etc.
Wouldnt mind comparing what others have had with there systems i,e bios monitoring.

lowered the temps by around 5c
(2012-07-13, 15:35)Jokerjack Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 15:12)markus625 Wrote: When you say 'lowered my voltage within the CPU to lower the temps.. ' what did you lower it down too i.e what setting etc.

Can you remember what voltage you set it to.
(2012-07-13, 15:37)markus625 Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 15:35)Jokerjack Wrote:

if you look at my last post (above yours) you will see a link to another thread i created this morning, it will show you how to set it up.
(2012-07-13, 15:39)Jokerjack Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 15:37)markus625 Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 15:35)Jokerjack Wrote: lowered the temps by around 5c

if you look at my last post (above yours) you will see a link to another thread i created this morning, it will show you how to set it up.

Thanks for pointing that out, ive read somewhere else as ive been goggling the subject that when its just running in bios that it uses the full 100% of the cpu as when in windows the system controls the cpu utilization.
(2012-07-13, 15:50)markus625 Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 15:39)Jokerjack Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 15:37)markus625 Wrote: Can you remember what voltage you set it to.

Thanks for pointing that out, ive read somewhere else as ive been goggling the subject that when its just running in bios that it uses the full 100% of the cpu as when in windows the system controls the cpu utilization.

use this for monitoring configure your balanced settings under power management in windows and maybe lower your voltage down a little using my guide Smile
Thanks ill give it ago, going to install a windows 8 trial and then monitor temps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Silent / Fanless A8-3820 (65W) performance HTPC build0