new build with steam?
I love how helpful this forum is and i got some general questions that i probably need answered.

my background: I've built every pc i've ever owned from scratch except for my most recent purchase (about 3 years ago) so the build shouldnt be an issue as long as i get all parts that knowingly work together.

Basic needs (for now):
+Streaming video (hulu plus and nexflix)
+SSD (64G for windows)
+iPazz
Dont need local storage (usb harddrive or remote storage later)
Dont need a Blueray or CDrom (got my ps3 for the rare occasion i need to use it)
no over the air or cable

Possibility: Steam!
the idea of having a steam box for my livingroom would be amazing, and if i can piggyback onto the xbmc, it would be awesome.
I'd be willing to go an extra $150 or so to have this but any more than that i'd just hook up my laptop to the tv.

I'd like to run the whole thing on windows, but linux is a possibility if it works with the build.

TLDR: could i build a cheap enough system ($500 or so) that is small, quiet and capable of running steam?

Well, a Steam box, something like a i3-2100/HD7770 at the top end or G620/HD6670 at the lower end will run HTPC just fine. It's the games that will dictate what you need. The issue with will be the budget and with the videocard the noise and heat. That said, the HIS IceQ video cards run nearly silent and pretty cool so that's where I'd start.

i3-2100: $120
HD7770: $120

G620: $64
HD6670: $85
Steam? as in the game manager by valve? I'm sure any computer can run steam, it's the games that you want to play from it that have the requirements.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
And for your budget you're going to be limited to low-quality game configuration and indy games. $500 with an SSD and windows license? Doesn't leave any room for decent CPU and GPU which you're going to need for games. Could wait for Trinity, might turn out to be a half decent mid-range games box.
Best options would probably be an FM1 CPU like an A8 and try that out. If it's not good enough for gaming then you could add a low level GPU like 6570 or 6670.
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
irusak: yes i did mean the games, but the integration with steam and xbmc was my first thought, thats why i mentioned it.
and just to be clear... I'm not looking for crysis3 on ultra, mostly just fun "casual" type stuff (meatboy, limbo, psychonauts or other platformers), i still got my pc.

i think my lack of knowlege on the CPU power is whats hurting me right now... like i'm sure i could just get a A6 and try that out and then bump up to an A8 + video card if its not cutting it... but then i'd have to factor in power concerns... which then it comes into heat and case size.

Oh, i was thinking about installing the pre-release of win 8 until it comes out. (no sense in buying 7 right now)

I'd like to keep it mini-itx and a nice small case, but if i know now that i'm gonna melt it, i might as well bite the bullet and get something bigger with more cooling.

(2012-06-19, 22:02)Malosar Wrote: Could wait for Trinity, might turn out to be a half decent mid-range games box.
excuse my ignorance... whats trinity?
(2012-06-19, 22:07)glypher Wrote: irusak: yes i did mean the games, but the integration with steam and xbmc was my first thought, thats why i mentioned it.
and just to be clear... I'm not looking for crysis3 on ultra, mostly just fun "casual" type stuff (meatboy, limbo, psychonauts or other platformers), i still got my pc.

i think my lack of knowlege on the CPU power is whats hurting me right now... like i'm sure i could just get a A6 and try that out and then bump up to an A8 if its not cutting it... but then i'd have to factor in power concerns for later and then it comes into heat and case size.

I'd like to keep it mini-itx and a nice small case, but if i know now that i'm gonna melt it, i might as well bit the bullet and get something bigger with more cooling.

(2012-06-19, 22:02)Malosar Wrote: Could wait for Trinity, might turn out to be a half decent mid-range games box.
excuse my ignorance... whats trinity?

Then I would go for an FM1 CPU, the A8-3870K is only like $130. It's 100W TDP though, so you could get the A8 that has 65W TDP if you are concerned with heat.

Trinity is the new FM1 (hopefully) it is slated to be released later this year.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new build with steam?0