XBMC for streaming from server via Internet? [PLEX?]
Hi,

My situation is like this;

One fileserver located on 100/100Mbit pipe with digital copys of all my dvds/blurays. It's located in another building from where I live for several reasons.

What I would like to do, is to stream from this server using XBMC. My home connection is also 100/100Mbit. However, when I stream via sFTP it's choppy and laggy, xvids are fine but 720p/1080p doesn't work at all. Even tried to stream directly via HTTP with same result, which means it's not a problem with the sFTP-protocol.

My speeds (single-threaded) from my computer to server and vice verse is round 90Mbit+.

Strange is, when using PLEX Media Server installed on the server (which is debian) and connecting with PLEX Client everything is completely buttersmooth, even triple 1080p streams like a charm. I can jump around back and forth, pause/play and speedplay with close to 0 delay. In XBMC it's like 2-3s delay on every play/pause and such.

Monitoring the traffic on the debian server it's between 0,7-2Mbit for xvid and round 2-15Mbit with 720p/1080p.

I have also tried 2 different servers on 2 different locations with plenty of bandwith plus several clients on different locations with same result with XBMC.

So it has to be something with XBMC? Any ideas what the problem might be?

EDIT: Well, I could just stick with PLEX but I don't like it, at all :p Few adjustments to make regarding the plex media server, open and unencrypted is a big nono.
Why PLEX is working so good might be because its transcoding the stream perhaps? :-)
you could always try http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92310 and see if it is or if its xbmc or maybe sftp is just a slower network system which it probably is for this sort of thing
(2012-06-21, 11:39)jompan87 Wrote: Why PLEX is working so good might be because its transcoding the stream perhaps? :-)

Hm, I don't think so, since I havn't ticked any particular transcoding in the client and "Direct play" is activated.

(2012-06-21, 12:03)Jezz_X Wrote: you could always try http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92310 and see if it is or if its xbmc or maybe sftp is just a slower network system which it probably is for this sort of thing

Will definitely try this. If you read my entire first post you would find that I also tried stream via HTTP with same result Sad
(2012-06-21, 12:49)w0_0t Wrote:
(2012-06-21, 11:39)jompan87 Wrote: Why PLEX is working so good might be because its transcoding the stream perhaps? :-)

Hm, I don't think so, since I havn't ticked any particular transcoding in the client and "Direct play" is activated.

(2012-06-21, 12:03)Jezz_X Wrote: you could always try http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92310 and see if it is or if its xbmc or maybe sftp is just a slower network system which it probably is for this sort of thing

Will definitely try this. If you read my entire first post you would find that I also tried stream via HTTP with same result Sad

When using direct play on my MK802 it still transcodes the movie (unticked the "second" player alternative), just check used cpu % before and after starting a movie Smile

(2012-06-21, 14:33)jompan87 Wrote:
(2012-06-21, 12:49)w0_0t Wrote:

When using direct play on my MK802 it still transcodes the movie (unticked the "second" player alternative), just check used cpu % before and after starting a movie Smile

It's not transcoding. CPU usage on server is 0-2% when streaming 1080p..
If you for example download the movie from ur server to the client, whats ur avarage speed? Try a few different protocols to see if it differs

Im assuming from your first post that both computers are connected via WAN/internet?
(2012-06-21, 20:05)jompan87 Wrote: If you for example download the movie from ur server to the client, whats ur avarage speed? Try a few different protocols to see if it differs

Im assuming from your first post that both computers are connected via WAN/internet?

Also stated in first post, my speeds (single-threaded) from my computer to server and vice verse is round 90Mbit+.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for streaming from server via Internet? [PLEX?]0