Thecus N8800PRO MySQL library database
Hi All,

With my first post let me start by saying thank you to all involved in the XBMC project as well as the community for making such a great piece of software.

My setup consists of a few XBMC frontends:

* ATV1 with crystalbuntu and motorola nyxboard
* Mac mini bootcamped with OS X 10.7 and Windows 7 x64 ultimate, both running XBMC

For the backend I use a Thecus N8800PRO hosting Movies and TV shows shares via SMB.

I've gotten my XBMC library to a finalised stage on my main media consumption frontend, the mac mini with OS X. I recently came across the idea of hosting my XBMC library database through MySQL running as a module on the Thecus N8800PRO, so that when I do sometimes update libraries on the other frontends, they are not massive updates which may take a while.

I know extremely little about MySQL and after installing the module on the Thecus NAS, I have no idea where to start. Could anyone please assist with my enquiry with feedback or suggestions?

Thanks.
This wiki should be just what you are after...

HOW-TO:Sync multiple libraries
Thank you for your help.

I have setup an xbmc_video database on the Theucs N8800PRO running the MySQL module. Apart from default priviledges I have created an xbmc user with xbmc password and given that user global as well as database specifc rights.

My advancedsettings.xml appears as:

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>***.***.***.***</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>
</advancedsettings>

with my IP obviously substituted. I am running Windows 7 x64 ultimate and I have placed the advancedsettings.xml inside c:\users\ME\app data\roaming\xbmc\userdata

Now XBMC only hangs on startup screen (displaying xbmc logo with 11.0 Eden). I am able to see statistics for database access on the MySQL module but don't know which statistics matter or where next to look.

Could someone please assist?
Remove the <name> part.
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately that did not work. Would XBMC automatically know which database to update without the name tag?

With my MySQL knowledge being very limited I thought it may have been that the MySQL server was not accepting connections in some way but I can see that with XBMC starting up and hanging at the boot screen, this steadily increments statistics counters on the MySQL server.

I thought it may have been because the SMB share from which the library is built is password protected but making the share public did not resolve the issue.

EDIT - Actually with the name tag now removed XBMC will boot. I am able to grab a log so it looks like you were right. Behaviour is very sluggish though. As this is a fresh XBMC install I did not have sources added to the SMB share so I guess that was something I forgot to do. I will import the full library from another XBMC install I have and see if changes are replicated.
XBMC will default to the name "MyVideos" + the video DB number, which for v11 is 60 (so it would be "MyVideos60"). Some people had issues when they included the name tag that were resolved when they removed it and used the default name, but I guess that wasn't the case here.

A debug log (wiki) might shed more light on this.
It looks like I may have just been impatient as the MyVideos60 database was automatically created on the MySQL server after removing the name tag, re-adding sources and importing a full copy of the library.

Will see how syncing works once I do the same on another install of XBMC.

Thank you for your assistance.
Okay so the database is up and running and synchronization is definitely working.

The problem I have on two clients (bootcamped mac mini running over either 150 Mbps or 300Mbps wireless with os x lion and windows 7 x64 ultimate, I haven't tested on my ATV1 with crystalbuntu yet) is it is running extremely slow. Even browsing between areas of XBMC that ordinarily would have nothing to do with the library or media in general.

My network config is:

Netgear DGND3700 running 150Mbps SSID then with 300Mbps wireless repeating function to WNDAP360 which has its one gigabit port connected to same gigabit switch that the MySQL NAS is running on
Netgear WNDAP360 running 300Mbps SSID as I said then connected via cable to gigabit switch that NAS is on
Thecus N8800PRO with 8 x 2TB HDD in RAID 6 with XFS and about 1000 hours of movies and not sure how much TV shows. It is running the MySQL database via a module addon.
ATV1 with crystalbuntu cabled to switch that NAS is on

I know my tests have been limited to the one physical machine but it is bootcamped and both installs suffer. I have tried both on the SSID running off the router and the AP SSID My advancedsettings.xml consists purely of specifying a MySQL video database.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Apologies for triple posting but I am just going to post my findings here incase someone interested reads it and has some insight.

I tried changing the SMB shares I have (On NAS all movies and TV shows are on one shared volume but in my XBMC movies and TV shows are added as separate SMB shares) from using the Thecus NAS hostname to specifying IP, as I thought that maybe DNS could be an issue. This did not seem to alleviate the issue.

As an example of the sluggishness, right clicking a TV show in library view in order to mark it as watched, can take around 20 minutes. There were only 15 episodes in this particular TV show.

I had another thought that the NAS specs could be a little low for running MySQL. I do not believe this is the case, or should I say I hope this is not the case as it has a Core 2 Duo 1.6 GHz with 4GB RAM already. I think it is a 32bit CPU so upgrading RAM won't do anything, and the CPU is probably decent enough.

Eventually when Netgear brings out an N900 WAP I will upgrade to that as well as the WNDR4500 so I can get 450Mbps between everything, but I don't think it is the fact I am using wireless as I am currently getting 270Mbps between my mac mini and WAP which is then connected via gigabit to the same switch the MySQL database server is on.
Have you added skip-name-resolve under the mysqld section to the my.ini (or my.cnf depending on setup) file on your MySQL database server?

Check out the slooooow xbmc thread for more information
I have not tried the skip-name resolve idea but did change the mysql address in advancedsettings.xml from hostname to IP

I have tried so many things now I am running out of ideas Sad

I thought I may be onto something when I noticed that the library is lightning quick to build but is then slow upon reading. Looking at the MySQL module page on my Thecus N8800PRO once the database is being read/updated with even a small amount of new entries, failed and aborted connections spike.

I then deleted the xbmc_video database and gave the xbmc user all priviledges to the myvideos60 database just incase some sort of MySQL redirect was causing the issue.

Thank you for your assistance. I will read that thread and I am also going to be speaking to a guy at my work who does SQL stuff for a living.

EDIT - Well it wasn't a long thread so I'm back already :p

How do I do the skip-name-resolve as described -> http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...nced_notes

I am a linux noob (which my Thecus N8800PRO runs) so am unsure where to look and how to change the option.

THANK YOU FOR ANY ASSISTANCE AND THE DEVELOPERS FOR MAKING A KICK ASS PIECE OF SOFTWARE. SORRY FOR YELLING BUT I AM TRYING TO DISPLAY MY GRATITUDE!
You will need to SSH onto your NAS to add skip-name-resolve to my.cnf...

The MySQL module for the Thecus should be installed in the following directory:

/raid/data/module/MySQL_5/

To find the my.cnf on your NAS run the following command:

find / -name my.cnf

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thecus N8800PRO MySQL library database0