Launch External apps
I honesty could care less about having Netflix/Hulu type support built into XBMC, (that's a fool's errand IMO because it will break constantly) but I'm curious if there is a simple way to simply launch a Firefox window with the appropriate url from withing XBMC? That to me would be acceptable and would not be unlike the way we view content already. Is this easy to script or is there a good plugin etc?

thanks
Actually, Hulu has been surprisingly stable for the last few months (knock on wood).

For Netflix there was that one add-on that would let you browse Netflix's selection in XBMC, then directly launch the browser to show that movie in full screen. XBMC Flicks or something like that. Hasn't been updated in forever, though.

For Hulu I would just launch the Hulu Desktop app, since it works great with a remote control.

I'd use something like Add-on:Advanced Launcher (wiki). Check some of the guides for Advanced Launcher, too, because I bet it will launch URLs as well.
(2012-06-23, 04:47)Ned Scott Wrote: Actually, Hulu has been surprisingly stable for the last few months (knock on wood).

For Netflix there was that one add-on that would let you browse Netflix's selection in XBMC, then directly launch the browser to show that movie in full screen. XBMC Flicks or something like that. Hasn't been updated in forever, though.

For Hulu I would just launch the Hulu Desktop app, since it works great with a remote control.

I'd use something like Add-on:Advanced Launcher (wiki). Check some of the guides for Advanced Launcher, too, because I bet it will launch URLs as well.

yeah Ned, that was the first one I identified and tried but it doesn't seem to do anything...I couldn't find any setting to specify the external apps I wished to launch, I dunno if its buried somewhere non-intuitive or its broken in EDEN but no luck for me Sad
(2012-06-23, 05:24)snafu7x7 Wrote: yeah Ned, that was the first one I identified and tried but it doesn't seem to do anything...I couldn't find any setting to specify the external apps I wished to launch, I dunno if its buried somewhere non-intuitive or its broken in EDEN but no luck for me Sad
Advanced Launcher run perfectly on Eden version of XBMC. If you find it not enough intuitive I strongly suggest you to :

For your specific use :

Thank you very much Angelscry, as I suspected I had missed a step in the process (specifically, I need to add my Program Files folders to be a 'source', otherwise there was no way to browse to the program I wanted to launch in Advanced Launcher. It works fine now but just as a suggestion its very non-intuitive from an end-user's perspective that it works this way because it doesn't work like that in the rest of XBMC that you cannot see your local drive by default.

I have one more question. Is it possible for me to assign my newly created launcher to appear as an option under the main menu of XBMC? In other words, say I created a launcher called 'Browser'. Right now I have to first select Programs, then Advanced Launcher then Browser to launch it. Is there a way to make it a shortcut that appears as a sub-menu on the main XBMC front page?

thanks you very much for your help

From my point of views it works exactly like the rest of XBMC :
  • You want to add movies into XBMC, you need to define a movies folder as source.
  • You want to add TV series into XBMC, you need to define a TV series folder as source.
  • You want to add Music into XBMC, you need to define a Music folder as source.
  • You want to add Application into Advanced Launcher, you need to define an Application folder as source.

Exactly the same. BTW, I cannot really improve this. If Advanced Launcher cannot directly access/browse your local drive as default it's because XBMC do not allow add-on programs to do it.

For your second question, you can add Advanced Launcher, any created launchers (files or stand-alone launchers) and any launcher items as XBMC favourites. Then, if the skin allows it, you can add this favourite as sub-menu into XBMC. Here is the corresponding tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8edJlmG6lw

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launch External apps0