Assassin's HTPC Free Hardware Guide

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Beer40oz Offline
Donor
Welcome! Let's enjoy some movies... Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 2012-06-25 08:44 by Beer40oz.)
find quote
mofoo Offline
Question: do you have a preference on xbmc vs mediabrowser and why?
find quote
GortWillSaveUs Offline
Posting Freak
(2012-06-25 08:40)Beer40oz Wrote:  Welcome! Let's enjoy some movies... Cheers!

Exactly my sentiments!
find quote
Mfusick Offline
(2012-06-24 20:31)Dougie Fresh Wrote:  Nobody makes any money at this but Apple or Dell (just barely). The rest of us just have some cool stuff to share and a passion for these HTPC gadgets. Welcome.

Certainly no one is going to get rich doing it. It's a passion thing... not a greed thing.
find quote
Dougie Fresh Offline
Donor

Exactly!

(2012-06-25 16:07)Mfusick Wrote:  
(2012-06-24 20:31)Dougie Fresh Wrote:  Nobody makes any money at this but Apple or Dell (just barely). The rest of us just have some cool stuff to share and a passion for these HTPC gadgets. Welcome.

Certainly no one is going to get rich doing it. It's a passion thing... not a greed thing.

Exactly. All this time blogging, writing, answering questions and building HTPC is not about making money or greed.

With the cases, I spent a long time trying to find mini-ITX cases that I like. In the US I could find cheap plastic ugly ones or really expensive ones -- nothing in the middle. I finally had to order my own directly from China to get what I wanted. When I got them I got a lot of people asking, "hey those are cool, where'd you get those?!" so I got some more. Then I'd get "do you have one that has X or does Y" so I got those too. With the power supply plates, I had a PC-Q07 case and wanted to use a picoPSU. I didn't want the huge hole in the back. I looked around and no one sold a blanking plate with a hole in it. So, I made some and blogged about it. Then the same "hey, where'd you get that?" so I started making them. I finally got the itch to put it up on a website. Now with what I've seen here about how not so great and overly priced barebones for HTPC are, I am starting to offer barebones from the parts popular here starting with the A6-PACK in the E-i5 case. It's not because I stand to make a pile of cash, it's because I'd rather see someone looking for a barebones get something that'll work great instead of something they'll be disappointed with.

That's the real reward in it all is that I get to fool around with a lot more hardware and help a lot more people get into HTPC or mini-ITX computers. I'll be lucky if I ever cover my expenses.
(This post was last modified: 2012-06-25 17:14 by Dougie Fresh.)
find quote
assassin Offline
Fan
Unfortunely it does take time and money to actually compile a list of recommendations that I have actually used.

With my free guide at AVS I recieved about $15 per month in donations. Obviously that's not enough to test or even devote time to what I do which takes a considerable amount of both to produce a quality product.
(This post was last modified: 2012-06-25 19:56 by assassin.)
find quote
Dougie Fresh Offline
Donor
I guess you're supposed to just give it away or else you're biased.
(This post was last modified: 2012-06-25 21:00 by Dougie Fresh.)
find quote
Beer40oz Offline
Donor
(2012-06-25 16:59)Dougie Fresh Wrote:  

Exactly!

(2012-06-25 16:07)Mfusick Wrote:  

Exactly. All this time blogging, writing, answering questions and building HTPC is not about making money or greed.

With the cases, I spent a long time trying to find mini-ITX cases that I like. In the US I could find cheap plastic ugly ones or really expensive ones -- nothing in the middle. I finally had to order my own directly from China to get what I wanted. When I got them I got a lot of people asking, "hey those are cool, where'd you get those?!" so I got some more. Then I'd get "do you have one that has X or does Y" so I got those too. With the power supply plates, I had a PC-Q07 case and wanted to use a picoPSU. I didn't want the huge hole in the back. I looked around and no one sold a blanking plate with a hole in it. So, I made some and blogged about it. Then the same "hey, where'd you get that?" so I started making them. I finally got the itch to put it up on a website. Now with what I've seen here about how not so great and overly priced barebones for HTPC are, I am starting to offer barebones from the parts popular here starting with the A6-PACK in the E-i5 case. It's not because I stand to make a pile of cash, it's because I'd rather see someone looking for a barebones get something that'll work great instead of something they'll be disappointed with.

That's the real reward in it all is that I get to fool around with a lot more hardware and help a lot more people get into HTPC or mini-ITX computers. I'll be lucky if I ever cover my expenses.

Thank you. Blush It's the same way with me... I started my thread because I wanted to build something as a hobby mostly for me. And it became something bigger then expected. So I hope it helped out some people. I got frustrated on the build on a few things but after testing stuff we know what fits and such.

I done a couple builds not listed on my sig... and we found out also what works and not....
find quote
bluray Offline
Posting Freak
I built a lot of PC’s at work and I built/sold PC's all these years, but I rarely write about it. I currently have 4 Intel's and 1 AMD....I uses all Intel/AMD/Nvidia GPU's, and I like all of them……..I’m not an IT, but I’m responsible for keeping all computers at my department up to date (this is 1/10 of my job)……..

If you are posting your build in here to help others, I concurs you for being kind and helpful..........I'm sure Assassin's blog in OP will be very helpful to others in this forum.....!

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(This post was last modified: 2012-06-25 21:52 by bluray.)
find quote
assassin Offline
Fan
Added and updated the Ivy Bridge i3 section today. Enjoy.
find quote
polkaroo Offline
Is the hardware guide still free? I could not find the latest updates on the blog.
find quote
assassin Offline
Fan
Of course its still free.

I updated it very recently. Added a bunch of new gear.
find quote
BizznessTime Offline
Great guide assassin!
find quote
Hetfiled Offline
(2013-01-04 04:58)assassin Wrote:  Of course its still free.

I updated it very recently. Added a bunch of new gear.

grat work

NodNodNod

Antec Fusion - A6 5400k / Ati HD7540 - XBMC Gotham
Kuro 5090 - Onkyo nr809 - B&W - Harmony One
find quote
Dougie Fresh Offline
Donor
The mini-ITX section's my favorite part Smile. I agree it's a great guide. There's always something new to learn.
find quote