Optimal settings on Mac Mini 2011
Hi,

Trying to get the best experience also means playing around with the "general" settings in XBMC. So, I'll post what I have it set up as, and if anyone has any better suggestions, let's share these. I have not listed the ones I believe are specific to Amps, TVs, etc.

On a Mac Mini, the Mid 2011 (w. HDMI), Intel HD Graphics 3000, running OSX 10.7.4 (11E53). Using XBMC 12.0 Alpha3 Git:20120622

+ System/Setting/Video output: Vertical blank sync - Always enabled.

+ System/Setting/Video output: Audio output - Optical/Coax, Boost volume level on downmix - on, Output stereo to all speakers - on, Audio output device - on.

+ System/Video/Playback: Render method - Auto detect, Allow hardware acceleration (VDADecoder) - on, Adjust display refresh rate to match video - off, Sync playback to display - off, Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars - non, Display 4:3 videos as - Wide Zoom.

If anyone wants any other settings, just let me know. I have the Mac Mini connected via HDMI and Optical to a Denon AVR-3312 Amp, which then is connected to a Samsung UE55ES8005UXXE via HDMI. Everything works via XBMC, except;

I can't get all 3D films to play nicely via XBMC, so I use the built-in ALL-SHARE on the Samsung TV. And, I am having to use an optical connection via the Mac Mini and the Denon as MP3 sound only plays in one channel when using HDMI (the developers know this and are working on it).

/Bo
I'm just waiting on the new mac mini to be released hopefully in the next few months. Can you tell me your thoughts on picture quality to the 55inch screen,as this is the same size as mine.
It is absolutely great. The 2011 Mac Mini has no problem playing 1080p files, over WiFi, from a NAS. Sound-wise it fully supports HD sound, 5.1 and 7.1. If anything, XBMC is still WIP, as it for instance cannot handle the 3D files correctly. Supposedly the Mac Mini can, but it is not straight forward in the software. However, the Samsung is a Smart TV, and can see the NAS as well, and this is the solution I use for 3D films.
Ok, thanks for that. I never gave a thought to 3d files - I have a 3d Samsung as well. I must try a find some samples to experiment with. I went from ATV2 to a boxee box (which has far better picture quality) but I'm missing the GUI etc of xbmc, hence the Mac min route. I'll relegate the boxee box to the bedroom afterwards.
I have a Mac Mini 2011 with the AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics adapter. Unfortunately there's no chance to play mkv-files with activated hardware acceleration. The picture is stuttering in a strange way and impossible to watch. I run the latest build from the margro-tree with pvr integration. Does anybody have the same problem?
I know this is an old thread but it seems like what I need help with. I'm experimenting with getting XBMC set up on my MacBook Pro before getting a Mac Mini. Trying to get audio and video output working right.

I expected audio to be the trouble, but that went smoothly. Video not so much. When I plug the HDMI into the TV a Samsung DLP from 2006), the picture on the TV is too big and I don't think the aspect ratio is right either.

The laptop has max resolution of 1680 x 1050 (ratio 1.60) It has resolutions with various aspect ratios, none 1.78 (16:9). The TV is 1920 x 1080 (1080p, ratio 1.78). In the OSX Display prefs, both screens show and I choose anything for the laptop and 1080p for the TV. In XBMC, System/Settings/Video, when in full-screen mode it says 1920 x 1680.

When I'm using the computer screen, the width is right on the TV but the top of the screen is cut off on the TV. When I use XBMC full screen, it goes beyond the TV screen top, right, and bottom. But on the computer, it is the right size top to bottom, it just sticks out on the right.

I would appreciate any tips on how to set this up. Is it possible it is way overscanning? How common is that? But I think the aspect is wrong too.

Two things that I can think of. One is to make sure the TV itself isn't doing the overscanning in the various options for it. The other is to make sure that the second screen is on and the correct resolution is set before opening XBMC, as XBMC is not able to see changes to displays after it is open.
Thanks for the tips. I haven't found any overscan settings for the TV. I went through all the settings.

The second idea, about the TV being on and connected and correct resolution set in OSX System Prefs, before starting XBMC, is a good one, I never thought about that. So I did that.

One thing I realized this time is that display mirroring was turned on before which doesn't make sense in this case I guess. So I turned that off, got it set up, started XBMC, set it to the TV display at 1920x1080, and the picture was still too big. When browsing movies, the stuff near the edges is cut off.

I checked XBMC Video Calibration, it was all exactly right on the corners and aspect ratio. But when I go back to browsing etc., it's quite a bit too big. I don't get how that could work.

The only way I can fix it is by turning up "underscan" in the OSX Display prefs - I have to turn it almost halfway up to get XBMC to fit in my screen. Any thoughts? I wonder how typical this experience is?

That doesn't sound normal. You could try resetting your skin/gui settings by removing (or just temp removing, so you can move it back later on) the guisettings.xml file from the userdata (wiki) folder and see if that does anything. A funky setting in there could be messing things up.
(2012-12-17, 21:23)Glorious1 Wrote: Thanks for the tips. I haven't found any overscan settings for the TV. I went through all the settings.

The second idea, about the TV being on and connected and correct resolution set in OSX System Prefs, before starting XBMC, is a good one, I never thought about that. So I did that.

One thing I realized this time is that display mirroring was turned on before which doesn't make sense in this case I guess. So I turned that off, got it set up, started XBMC, set it to the TV display at 1920x1080, and the picture was still too big. When browsing movies, the stuff near the edges is cut off.

I checked XBMC Video Calibration, it was all exactly right on the corners and aspect ratio. But when I go back to browsing etc., it's quite a bit too big. I don't get how that could work.

The only way I can fix it is by turning up "underscan" in the OSX Display prefs - I have to turn it almost halfway up to get XBMC to fit in my screen. Any thoughts? I wonder how typical this experience is?

go to system prefs/display there should be an option there to check/uncheck overscan. With my sony tv as well as a samsung i had to select/unselect it for it to work. Also if its checked, try unchecking and then checking. this worked for me once.
My optimal settings with my ´11 Mini starts with Snow Leopard.
Fewer updates, no sleep/resume problems or black screen when waking up.
(2012-12-18, 09:43)nmirza Wrote: go to system prefs/display there should be an option there to check/uncheck overscan. With my sony tv as well as a samsung i had to select/unselect it for it to work. Also if its checked, try unchecking and then checking. this worked for me once.

Thanks for the input nmirza. I assume you're talking about OSX, not the TV and not XBMC. There is no overscan check or option. There is an underscan slider (from none to "more"). As I mentioned above, I had to turn it halfway up to fit XBMC on my TV.

Ned, I did try deleting the guisettings.xml. Didn't fix it (although I'm not sure what "fixed" should look like), although it behaved differently. I set up the displays both mirrored and unmirrored before starting XBMC without the guisettings, it made no difference. XBMC is too big for my screen.

Now however, when I checked XBMC's video calibration, it was way outside the screen. When I adjusted it in, and went back to the regular interface, it was the correct dimensions without turning up underscan in OSX.

Puzzling.
(2012-07-31, 09:15)endeler Wrote: I have a Mac Mini 2011 with the AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics adapter. Unfortunately there's no chance to play mkv-files with activated hardware acceleration. The picture is stuttering in a strange way and impossible to watch. I run the latest build from the margro-tree with pvr integration. Does anybody have the same problem?

I have the same Mac Mini but no problems with stuttering. It plays all videos fine.
Sorry for the late answer but i got my Mac Mini since last month (End Oct.) and i'm testing and testing ...
1st: Mac Mini: Intel i5 2,6Ghz - 8Gb Ram - Intel Iris - 1Tb - MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 - Kodi 19.0 - MySQL 8.0.13 (Server)
2nd: iMac 27": Intel i5 2,8Ghz - 12Gb Ram - AMD 5750 1024Mb GFX - 1Tb SSD - MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 - Kodi 19.0 - MySQL (Client)
3rd: Some Rasperries 
Server: Synology 916+
(2012-06-24, 20:45)KillerBob Wrote: Hi,

Trying to get the best experience also means playing around with the "general" settings in XBMC. So, I'll post what I have it set up as, and if anyone has any better suggestions, let's share these. I have not listed the ones I believe are specific to Amps, TVs, etc.

On a Mac Mini, the Mid 2011 (w. HDMI), Intel HD Graphics 3000, running OSX 10.7.4 (11E53). Using XBMC 12.0 Alpha3 Git:20120622

+ System/Setting/Video output: Vertical blank sync - Always enabled.

+ System/Video/Playback: Render method - Auto detect, Allow hardware acceleration (VDADecoder) - on, Adjust display refresh rate to match video - off, Sync playback to display - off, Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars - non, Display 4:3 videos as - Wide Zoom.

/Bo

Why you deactivate this two options ? I'm not sure but if you got a 24p Movie should the display rate not be adjustet ? The same thing to Sync playback.
Maybe anyone could explain me the two things ?
1st: Mac Mini: Intel i5 2,6Ghz - 8Gb Ram - Intel Iris - 1Tb - MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 - Kodi 19.0 - MySQL 8.0.13 (Server)
2nd: iMac 27": Intel i5 2,8Ghz - 12Gb Ram - AMD 5750 1024Mb GFX - 1Tb SSD - MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 - Kodi 19.0 - MySQL (Client)
3rd: Some Rasperries 
Server: Synology 916+

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Optimal settings on Mac Mini 20110