[Stub Files]Adding a physical Hard Disk
Hi All,

First, let me sketch my situation: i've got a NAS serving my movies and tv shows. When my disk is nearly full, i archive old movies and shows (the ones i'd like to see again later) to an USB drive which is usually disconnected .

On the other hand, i'd like to keep them in XBMC. Now i got 2 options:
1. Move the files to the USB drive, and create a stub file on the NAS.
2. Move the files to the USB drive, and index them from there.

#1 has 2 disadvantage:
- When i try to play files, i can get a message, but i have to go through the video screen (through files) to play them.
- there is no real HDD stub file, so i misuse "bluray rip" for it.

#2 also has 2 disadvantages:
- When i press play, i get an ugly notification to cancel or remove the movie (not very child friendly).
- When i cleanup my database and the drive is not connected, all movies are removed.

both have 1 big issue: all movies are indexed again, so they appear on "recently added".

What i'd like to see:
An stub file, combined with the xml. In the xml there is an reference to the actual path of the file. So when i press play, i get the notification "connect archive-hdd", and after that, it plays the actual file. also in the xml would be the "added" date. I could script my way to automate the xml generation Smile Would that be possible, or is there another nice way to "fix" this.
Anything is possible if you know how to script/code it. Right now there is nothing like that which exists, so you'd have to create it yourself.
Well, the problem is i'm a bit code-dyslectic Wink I can work my way around some code/scripting, as long as i've written it myself. Inside a large project like XBMC i wouldn't know where to start and i'd get hopelessly lost. Sad

I was hoping there would some ready-to-go way to fix this. Maybe someone with the right skills and the same issue will come along? There must be more people with the same configuration Smile
Hi, there is a PullRequest pending on github that's adding stub file support for removeable media like USB-Sticks and HDDs. I think that's what you're looking for. Feel free to add your thoughts to the PR551
Nice!
This seems to be exactly what i'm looking for. Glad to see i'm not alone on this one Smile

I'll keep an eye on that Pull request Smile
I'm also in need of this, is 0001-efile-stub-v7.patch the latest code or is there any newer?

Maybe there is a compiled package I can try before I set up an environment for compiling?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Stub Files]Adding a physical Hard Disk0