Rewind bug?
On my freshly installed XBMC (default Confluence skin), it seems the Rewind action (pressing R on keyboard) does not work correctly.
After pressing it, instead of rewinding it at 2x, it seems to rewind at 32x (superfast). This while it says it does 2x. Also when pressing multiple times, the OSD says 2x, 4x, etc, but the actually speed does not change. Only after entering 1x again (after 32x) it does play normally.
I also sometimes noticed when rewinding and then playing again, after a second or so the image freezes or runs very slow for a couple of seconds before cathing up.
I don't have these troubles when forwarding.
I do have this issue with all my movies (iso, mkv and avi).

Is it a bug?
Can i solve it somehow?

Alright tested it on another Win 7 x64 system and with different skins, all the same problem. So i think it is a bug...

Can anyone confirm so i can report it on bug channel?
Debug log (wiki) of this happening would be good.
I just tried it out on Eden 11 Confluence, and it seems to work for me.
Already looked at the debug log, but according to this log it is just executing the rewind action (so far as i understood it)...

Here's the log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=5222
(2012-07-19, 05:07)PatK Wrote: I just tried it out on Eden 11 Confluence, and it seems to work for me.

Ok, so you pressed R and saw on display x2, but didn't notice a faster rewind speed (for a difference look at how slow x2 of forward goes)?
That would indeed mean it is not happening for everyone.

Quote: Ok, so you pressed R and saw on display x2, but didn't notice a faster rewind speed (for a difference look at how slow x2 of forward goes)?
That would indeed mean it is not happening for everyone.

I did observe the action in both F and R, and it seemed to work as indicated, the R x2 was plenty fast, but the x4, etc was very fast although the action looked the same speed of flashing of pictures as x2, the clock and bar showed I was moving in reverse at double or triple and more. So I concluded it has appearance of functionality...and noting your experience I was looking for this issue. Are you relying on the visual representation on screen only?

(2012-07-19, 15:55)PatK Wrote: I did observe the action in both F and R, and it seemed to work as indicated, the R x2 was plenty fast, but the x4, etc was very fast although the action looked the same speed of flashing of pictures as x2, the clock and bar showed I was moving in reverse at double or triple and more. So I concluded it has appearance of functionality...and noting your experience I was looking for this issue. Are you relying on the visual representation on screen only?

Not relying on visual presentation only, but the clock speed does reflect what's really happening. So when in forward x2 mode the clock goes a little bit faster then normal play, in x4 a little faster, etc.
For Rewind when in x2 mode, the clock moves a lot faster then the x2 of forward.
Very annoying when watching a movie and wanting to rewind a couple of secs because of something missed, but before you know it its a lot more then a couple of seconds Sad
(2012-07-19, 16:45)Dr_IT Wrote:
(2012-07-19, 15:55)PatK Wrote: I did observe the action in both F and R, and it seemed to work as indicated, the R x2 was plenty fast, but the x4, etc was very fast although the action looked the same speed of flashing of pictures as x2, the clock and bar showed I was moving in reverse at double or triple and more. So I concluded it has appearance of functionality...and noting your experience I was looking for this issue. Are you relying on the visual representation on screen only?

Not relying on visual presentation only, but the clock speed does reflect what's really happening. So when in forward x2 mode the clock goes a little bit faster then normal play, in x4 a little faster, etc.
For Rewind when in x2 mode, the clock moves a lot faster then the x2 of forward.
Very annoying when watching a movie and wanting to rewind a couple of secs because of something missed, but before you know it its a lot more then a couple of seconds Sad

Perhaps this might help check the advanced settings faq how to implement.

<video>
<timeseekforward>10</timeseekforward>
<timeseekbackward>-10</timeseekbackward>
</video>
I've seen this happen before, and IIRC, it depends on some hardware decoders acting up. Try making sure your GPU drivers are up to date. You can also try disabling hardware video decoding and just using CPU decoding. Your CPU should be more than enough to handle it. (Settings/Videos/Playback (wiki))
(2012-07-19, 21:07)PatK Wrote: Perhaps this might help check the advanced settings faq how to implement.

<video>
<timeseekforward>10</timeseekforward>
<timeseekbackward>-10</timeseekbackward>
</video>

That's indeed what i use for now, but i like to use the rewind again...
(2012-07-20, 05:09)Ned Scott Wrote: I've seen this happen before, and IIRC, it depends on some hardware decoders acting up. Try making sure your GPU drivers are up to date. You can also try disabling hardware video decoding and just using CPU decoding. Your CPU should be more than enough to handle it. (Settings/Videos/Playback (wiki))

My GPU drivers are up to date. Also on the 2 different pc's there's different video cards (on-board and the other a 5450, both AMD).
Tried disabling hardware decoding, but problem still exists...
I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Rewinding at 2x goes a lot faster then fast forwarding at 2x.

Please fix this.
Thanks.

EDIT:

I also tried disabling hardware acceleration, but the bug is still happening.
(2012-07-19, 16:45)Dr_IT Wrote: Not relying on visual presentation only, but the clock speed does reflect what's really happening. So when in forward x2 mode the clock goes a little bit faster then normal play, in x4 a little faster, etc.
"Little bit faster" - it doubled the speed, so every second on your clock you will skip two seconds in the video. The exact same behaviour as in fast-forward.
Are you sure, that this isn't just a visual issue?
I tried it on two machines over here, and everything is working fine.
At x2 it rewinds with the double speed, at x4 4. times the speed, x8 ... etc.

Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Yes i'm very sure. Read my findings again, simply put 2x rewind is a lot faster then 2x forward. So definitely not exact the same as fastforward, but a huge difference...
On what system are you experiencing it correctly, a win7 64 bit like me?

Luckily for me it seems more people are experiencing this (see bugme posting), i was already starting to think it had something to with my windows installations Wink
(2012-07-27, 15:18)bugme Wrote: I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Rewinding at 2x goes a lot faster then fast forwarding at 2x.

Hi Bugme, could you please report on what system you are experiencing this?
(2012-07-27, 15:54)Dr_IT Wrote: Hi Bugme, could you please report on what system you are experiencing this?

Software:

Windows 7 64bit, Service Pack 1, build 7601
XBMC 11

Hardware:

CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: geforce 560 ti
RAM: 4GB DDR3

I have just measured it with a stopwatch, here's what's happening:

Fast forward at 2x for 5 seconds: the clock moves about 10 seconds(human error, maybe 1 second difference)

Rewind at 2x for 5 seconds: the clock moves 135-150 seconds(again, I can't stop both perfectly).

So yeah, this is definitely a bug.

(2012-07-27, 15:54)Dr_IT Wrote: Yes i'm very sure. Read my findings again, simply put 2x rewind is a lot faster then 2x forward. So definitely not exact the same as fastforward, but a huge difference...
On what system are you experiencing it correctly, a win7 64 bit like me?
Well - this one is on me. I obviously used old/other installations, tested it now in my "production env." and it happens there too.
Using the rewind-function the video skips like no tomorrow, it is definitely faster than 2x.
Using the Eden final, it does happen.
Also Win7 (Enterprise) x64.

Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rewind bug?1