• 1(current)
Linux How to associate "Play disc" with the Blu-ray discs?
Hi,
I am using XBMCBuntu Eden.
I have just seen that I am now able to play the Blu-ray discs (using libbluray and libaacs, so without the makeMKV trick) by selecting the BDMV/index.bdmv file of the disc (or only the BDMV directory when I enable stacking).
I found out that I could add a favorite to this file by forcing the blu-ray drive to use a fixed mount point. To this purpose, I added the following line to my /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules file:

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-1:0:0:0", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="udf", SYMLINK+="bd1", ENV{GENERATED}="1", ENV{ID_FS_LABEL_ENC}="bd-dvd"

(be sure to update your drive id from the first lines of the file).
My Blu-ray discs now always mount as /media/bd-dvd.
So I added a XBMC favorite to: /media/bd-dvd/BDMV/index.bdmv, which works fine (I have tested it with a few discs).

I would now like to know if there is a way to associate the "Play disc" button with this file. It should be possible, as I could see on this OpenElec video.

Perhaps do I have to edit my $HOME/.xbmc/userdata/playercorefactory.xml file? But it is not an external player!
Another option would be to use VLC 2 to play the Blu-rays as I could see that it also works.

Has anyone managed to associate "Play disc" with the index.bdmv files?
Thanks!
Update: installing the "Transparency" theme allowed me to add a "Bluray" command to the main menu. This command is a shortcut to the "/media/bd-dvd/BDMV/index.bdmv" favorite. It allows me to play the Blu-ray discs seamlessly :-)
Nice, thanks for the post. I'm assuming these are ripped disks or isos, i.e. no encryption?
Huummm... either I have been very lucky, or it also works with encrypted discs.
I could play the "Tangled" (Disney) and "Spider-Man 3" French blu-ray discs (which I bought). From what I have read, this is the purpose of libaacs.
I will now try a few other Blu-ray discs and tell you if it works.
I have tried 8 other commercial Blu-ray discs and I could play them seamlessly :-)
when i try and open the index.bdmv file by navigating in xbmc to the dir and clicking the index.bdmv file, I get a message saying file failed to play check the log.

I'm using the alpha 12.04 which should come with libbluray. Can anyone else confirm this is working?
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Can you please post your logs (xbmc.log + syslog)?
I am using XBMCBuntu Eden which is based on Ubuntu 11.10.
The libbluray and libaacs libraries should be installed and you have to search on the internet how to use libaacs including where to find and install the needed keys...

I am using XBMC+PVR and I have added the Pulse-Eight repositories which provide a newer version of the libbluray1 package, but this is perhaps not needed:

Code:
user@pchc:~$ apt-cache policy libbluray1
libbluray1:
  Installed: 1:0.2.2-2~oneiric2
  Candidate: 1:0.2.2-2~oneiric2
  Version table:
*** 1:0.2.2-2~oneiric2 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/pulse-eight/pulse/ubuntu/ oneiric/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:0.2.2-2~oneiric2 0
        500 http://packages.pulse-eight.net/ubuntu/ oneiric/stable i386 Packages
     1:0.2.1+git20111208.63e308d-1~oneiric1~ppa1 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/videolan/stable-daily/ubuntu/ oneiric/main i386 Packages
     1:0.0~git20110717.3477b65-3 0
        500 http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/universe i386 Packages

user@pchc:~$ apt-cache policy libaacs0
libaacs0:
  Installed: 0.3.0~git20111206.db866ce-0ubuntu1~oneiric
  Candidate: 0.3.0~git20111206.db866ce-0ubuntu1~oneiric
  Version table:
*** 0.3.0~git20111206.db866ce-0ubuntu1~oneiric 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0~20110623.git964342f-1 0
        500 http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/universe i386 Packages
I'll have to give things a try when I get home. I'm running a pretty stock install of XBMCBuntu.
I am now using XBMC Frodo Beta 2 (got using the PPA under XBMCbuntu Eden).
I had thought that the "Play disc" button would now handle both Blu-rays and DVDs, but it still does not seem to be the case.
The trick would only be to check if the index.bdmv or video_ts.ifo files exist and to open them if this is the case. Now I still have to use two different favorites to these files and I have two menu entries.
Glad I found this thread, Ive been trying to do something very similar, mounting a shared folder of a decrypted bluray to /media/br0 and have it played from the playdisc menu option. From this thread it should be possible with unencrypted bd's, has anyone tried this? Im backing up my copy of dark knight rises now to see if it works. Im doing this on a single machine so the problem could be that having 2 blurays mounted, and xbmc reads the first one (the original encrypted bluray) and fails. Ive looked into whether xbmc can be pointed to use a particular disc drive (in this case /mdeia/br0) and I dont think this is possible, but I'd love to be proven wrong. The OP's comment about using a external player got me thinking - Since it seems like xbmc recognises a bd movie, have xbmc use a external player for bd's. Vlc (and mythtv, but I think vlc would be better suited to this) can be pointed to a folder for a bluray, so if vlc could be setup to play /media/br0 on startup, this could work.

Going to test this now in the hope of saving a bdr
Hi,
I can confirm that I can play all Blu-ray discs (even encrypted) under XBMCbuntu, now using XBMC Frodo Beta 3 (and libaacs and libbluray). I watch Blu-rays on a daily basis. I was unable to read very few discs (such as Prometheus, which seems to have a newer encryption method).

I did add a Favorite link to /media/bd-dvd/BDMV/index.bdmv , which allows me to play the discs.

Using the Transparency skin, I was able to add a sub-item to the "Play disc" menu entry containing this favorite.
The only thing I miss, now, would be the ability to use the "Play disc" menu entry to play both DVDs and Blu-rays.

It would perhaps be possible to use VLC with this command:
Code:
vlc bluray:///media/br0

but I would rather use the embedded XBMC player.
Yeah Ive just got it working using this playercorefactory.xml

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
   <player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
     <filename>/usr/bin/vlc</filename>
     <args>bluray:///media/br0</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
   <rule filenames="bdmv" filetypes="bdmv" player="VLC"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Its only a rough test, but it works.

Like you, I'd rather use the xbmc interface and features and I glanced somewhere that its possible to use the xbmc interface with vlc but I need to look into this. Anyway, it should be possible to configure vlc to behave similar to xbmc, but without of any xbmc goodies.
Wondering if theres a option somehwere to force xbmc to use a folder as a drive - i couldnt see anything in the wiki.
Hi,
Does this only associate the index.bdmv file to VLC? If this is the case, it is not needed as the internal XBMC player plays the Blu-ray discs very well when manually selecting the index.bdmv files. I would now want it to play these discs when selecting the "Play disc" button.
The method above will play the disc from the play disc menu option, albeit through vlc. I tried adding this option to the playercorefactory.xml to launch the vlc when playing blurays but this didn't work - i need to look into this some more.

I've been speaking with a mythtv Dev on another forum and they say that a blue ray can only be played back after its been mounted as a folder. Based on that xbmc is already playing blurays from a bluray mounted to a folder. I'm guessing that xbmc isn't launching our manually mounted disc as it sees the original encrypted disc first and uses that as a disc, ignoring our manually mounted disc.

I've got a few ideas floating around my head:

Some how working xbmc to play /media/br0 fromthe 'play disc ' menu option when a bd is inserted, ignoring the original disc. Maybe this could be dome through playercorefactory.xml. This would be the best option.

Launch xbmc as an external player from with in xbmc and point it to /media/br0 via command line. Not sure if this is possible though. As a plus you can relive the movie inception every time a bd is played hehe.

Making a simple add on, similar to what you have done with your favourites, to launch /media/br0/.../index.bdmv. I'llprobably do this if iI can't force xbmc to use /media/br0. Might be possible to edit confluence to have this as a home screen main menu option.

Getting there slowly!
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to associate "Play disc" with the Blu-ray discs?2