XBMC on Win 7 no volume control using USB DAC
I have an HTR Music Streamer USB DAC attached to my Win 7 media box; the only non-Linux box in my house (Damn you, Netflix). All of my regular apps run without issue (Windows Media Center, VLC, Hulu and misc web sites). When I use XBMC, I lose the volume control from my MSMC-compatible remote. It worked fine when I was using the motherboard based sound capability. Is this a work in progress or is there a solution for this? As a note, the HTR unit takes over the volume control in Windows and has its' own internal control device.
You don't say what model of remote you're using, but I would guess it's sending volume appcommands, so it changes the system volume not the XBMC volume. To make it change the XBMC volume you need to create an appcommand.xml file in your userdata folder. To do this prtess Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

Code:
notepad "%APPDATA%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\appcommand.xml"

and click OK, then answer Yes when Notepad asks if you want to create a new file. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <appcommand>
      <volume_mute>Mute</volume_mute>
      <volume_down>VolumeDown</volume_down>
      <volume_up>VolumeUp</volume_up>
    </appcommand>
  </global>
</keymap>

Close Notepad and save the changes. You should now find your remote controls the volume within XBMC.

I've been thinking about buying an HRT Music streamer II for ages, and I only haven't done so because I'm not sure how much better it would be than the DAC in my Mac Mini. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your HRT and whether you think it's a big improvement.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Win 7 no volume control using USB DAC0