Macmini - is it capable of full 1080p 3D?
Hi all,

I've recently purchased an AC Ryan Playon HD2 mini, but as the only skin available for YAMJ is the default one, it's too plain and I want to go down the HTPC with XBMC and Aeon (or similar) skin.

I was going to build my own system but as I'm currently living in Singapore it's turning out more expensive than I expected. All of the local stores seem overpriced for components and all the online stores are overseas so the shipping would push the price up too much.

As the self build options will cost too much. I've been looking at the following:

- Zotac ZBox ID82: i3 2.2 Ghz / Intel HD 3000 @ $569 but will need to buy a SSD and RAM
- Mac mini i5 2.3 Ghz / Intel HD 3000 / 500Gb HDD / 4Gb RAM @ $858.00 (maybe upgrade HDD to SSD)
- Mac mini i5 2.5 Ghz / AMD Radeon HD 6630M / 500Gb HDD / 4Gb RAM @ $1088.00 (maybe upgrade HDD to SSD)

My only requirement is for it to run XBMC with AEON skin and to play full 1080p 3D movies (not side by side versions), will all of the above options be suitable?

I'm not a massive fan of Macs to be honest, and hate having to use my girlfriends Mac Book so would probably give the Lion OSX 10 minutes before installing Windows 7. I have to say though, the Mac Mini's seem to be pretty good value for money.

Any advice would be appreciated Smile

Cheers,

Charlie
The Mac Mini can support the higher resolutions, but I honestly have no idea since XBMC doesn't support 3D besides SBS. Also, I have no 3D content to test with, let alone 3D hardware.
Frame-packed 3D over HDMI requires an 1.4a port. The Mac mini only has HDMI 1.4

So you're out of luck unless you want to play H-SBS or F-SBS (expect the fan inside the mini to go crazy).
Or have a look at Bino...

(2012-06-27, 11:03)bigbadrabbit Wrote: Frame-packed 3D over HDMI requires an 1.4a port. The Mac mini only has HDMI 1.4

So you're out of luck unless you want to play H-SBS or F-SBS (expect the fan inside the mini to go crazy).
Or have a look at Bino...

Thanks bigbadrabbit, now I know Full 1080p 3D playback requires 1.4a it's amazing how much easier it is to search for the relevent threads Blush

With that in mind, I wonder if the Xtreamer Ultra 2 will meet my requirements... it quite clearly states that it has a 1.4a port and:

www.xtreamer.net Wrote:3D File playback in windows 7

My only concern is the HW spec. It comes preinstalled with OpenElec and I'm not sure how smoothly it will run once I chuck Windows 7 on it

2.13 Dual Core Intel Cedar Trail Atom D2700
4 Gb DDR3 RAM (In Deluxe Edition only)
32GB mSATA SSD with Pre-installed OpenElec XBMC (In Deluxe Edition only)
In Singapore try Sim Lin towers if you haven't already have.

It is great for geeks and gadgets.

Also, I was in a similar situation and ended up with a HP N40L Proliant server. 50% cheaper than mac mini and I use it for full HD and 3D as well.
Hey srinir, I went to Sim lim yesterday and that's what put me off buying the components and setting up my own system.

I was going to go down the Proliant Micro Server route when I was looking into a combined storage and media centre solution. Since then my flat mate bought a NAS so we don't have any need for the extra drives I could put in the Micro Server.

I've ended up ordering a Streacom FC5-Z77 Fanless Media PC with the following specs:

Streacom FC5OD Black Fanless HTPC Aluminium Chassis
Streacom 150W Pico PSU with 150W Adapter Power Kit
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H LGA1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 3450S 2.8GHz 65W Ivy Bridge Quad Core CPU
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) XMS3 DDR3 Memory
Zalman 120GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD F1
Streacom Internal IR Receiver and Remote Control

With the shipping to Singapore it's quite pricey, but it will take the hassle out of it and I think the case looks amazing.

*EDIT: Out of interest, what Graphics card have you put in the Micro Server that supports 3D and is it full 3D, not side by side?
Nvidia GT520 is cheap, has hdmi 1.4a and will do all sorts of 3D with the right software
bigbadrabbit, I've been doing a little more digging and it appears as though 1.4a isn't required for all 3D displays, just the older models:

There's a very good explanation here on the PS3 forum if you're interested

PS3 Forums Wrote:HDMI 1.4 requires 3-D resolution support: 1080P@24Hz and 720P@60Hz other modes and frame packing methods may be supported but are not required. The HDMI 1.4a addendum adds required support for 2 more 3-D framepacking modes (1/2 resolution) for set top boxes and also lists all older 3-D ready display techniques.

HDMI 1.4 and 1.4a when used together provide handshaking routines to support ALL existing 3-D ready displays. Updates to firmware for the 3-D ready TVs may be possible so that they automatically handshake with a 1.4 source to negotiate a common display format (if supported). (Some of the 3-D ready displays do not support framepacking and from statements by Sony employees, display agnostic was a feature stressed which means SONY will not support those.)

The PS3 appears to have an automatic-manual setting (picture leaked) for this 3-D HDMI 1.4 negotiation with Manual requiring the PS3 to be set to a 3-D output mode like DLP checkerboard for a non-upgraded firmware DLP 3-D ready HDMI 1.3 TV. (Sony may support DLP checkerboard, Panasonic and Samsung blu-ray players do.)

The Streacom FC5OD Black Fanless HTPC I've ordered has just been shipped and it comes with a Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H LGA1155 Micro ATX Motherboard. My Samsung auotdetects the signal from the 3D signal from the PS3 which is 1.4 so i will give it try when it arrives and let you know the result.

Cheers
(2012-06-27, 11:03)bigbadrabbit Wrote: Frame-packed 3D over HDMI requires an 1.4a port. The Mac mini only has HDMI 1.4

According to Wikipedia: "HDMI 1.4a was released on March 4, 2010 and adds two additional mandatory 3D formats for broadcast content, which was deferred with HDMI 1.4 in order to see the direction of the 3D broadcast market." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

So 1.4 will work with 3D 1080p movies. 1.4a is for broadcast 3D formats.

What version of HDMI is the 2014 Mac Mini?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Macmini - is it capable of full 1080p 3D?0