[solved] Unable to stream audio from Win 7 over wifi
Hey guys,

Loving the XBMC on our ATV2, however I cannot for the life of me get it to stream music from either of our Windows 7 machines.

Platform: ATV2
Version of iOS/ATV: ATV2 software 5.1.1/Darwin Kernel Version 11.0.0
XBMC Build version and date compiled: 11.0 GIT 20120331-EBFD889, compiled April 1st 2012
Install Method: apt-get, dpkg, ssh'd and copied (rooted)
Came from: appletvhacks.net
Log file: http://pastebin.com/embed_iframe.php?i=qmeAf0Dt - a failed attempt at playback starts around line 1224
Setup: ATV2 unit with the above connected to a tv via HDMI, streaming over wifi (Dlink DIR-632) from two Win7 machines (Machine 1: Win7 SP1, Pentium DC 2.7GHz, 2GB DDR2, x64; Machine 2: eMachines E630, Win7 SP1, AMD Athlon II DC 2.1GHz, 4GB DDR2, x64)

Issue: Setup happily plays any video file we throw at it, with no buffering issues or lag. Seriously couldn't be happier with the performance. Problem remains with streaming audio (mostly MP3 @ 128Kbps) via the same setup - it simply won't work. Using the standard Confluence skin, I go Music>Files>Machine 1 (added as a source)>My Music (stock Win7 music folder)>first artist>first album>first song>ATV2 hangs for 20 seconds, then I get the pop up "Playback failed. One or more items failed to play. Check the log for details."
The audio files all work over the network with various other devices (each machine can play each other machine's audio over wifi, my SGS2 can do it, etc), sharing permissions are set correctly. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-5spdvl
I see permission issues on some of the music directories and that it tries to play from http://192.168.0.102:10243/ ... if you are using the music database (double check that library mode is deactivated in the left slide in window for music) it might be that you have old stale links in there...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks Memphiz.

I've checked that library mode is deactivated (it's greyed out). In response to the stale links, I did System>Settings>Music>Library>Clean Library...>Yes. Still no luck. Below is the log after doing that. Also, this whole system has been running for maybe three weeks, and has never been able to stream music with the above network configuration EXCEPT via Airplay from an iPhone 4 16Gb (through Frontrow and XBMC).

Log

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and SSH in to look for additional logs/execute commands if necessary.
Ok based on that log you are still trying to access the mp3s via http and even one via upnp.

Double check your file source - there is not even a sign of smb in that log.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
So, I should be looking at the method the ATV2 is using to retrieve the files (uPnP, http, SMB, etc) on the ATV2 end (settings)? Or look at the computer itself?

Ok, I am able to stream music from machine 2 by adding it as an SMB source (Workgroup). Attempting to add the music folder from machine 1 results in requesting the username/password to access it (for which there isn't one), so I can only assume it's a permissions/sharing issue. I love working these things out in Windows. =/

Thanks for your help Memphiz.
Solved.

1) I SSH'd into /private/var/mobile/Library/Pr­eferences/XBMC/userdata/ and deleted sources.xml. Rebooted ATV2.
2) On machine 1 I compared the sharing properties between My Music (not sharing) and My Videos (sharing) library folders. My Music did not have Everyone added with read permission. Fixed by right clicking on the Music library>Share with>Specific people...>(drop down arrow) Everyone>Add>Permission level (as appropriate).

Sorry for that guys, I feel like a douche. It has been helpful though; I learnt to navigate some of the menus better and neatly arrange the source names once set too.

Memphiz, if you do read this, as you're a mod, can you please rename the thread title with "Solved" in it (if you guys do that here, some other forums do it). Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[solved] Unable to stream audio from Win 7 over wifi0