Win Why won't XMBC detect new files when scanning for new content?
Why won't XMBC detect new files when scanning for new content?

I have created a movie source called, "All Movies" and added 6 ext USB hard drive paths to it. When it did the initial scan, it worked fine and detected all of my movie files. However, since then, I have added more files but everytime I scan, it picks none of them up?

I've also tried re-scanning by going thru the Change Content window and selecting Run Automated Scan. That also triggers a scan, but nothing new is discovered?

I know FOR SURE that there are new files on my drives because when I "explore" the drives in XMBC, I can see the new files. However, why can't XBMC see them?
When you 'explore' the drives in XBMC using file mode... and see the new files; what do you see? A cover, A default cover, Wrong cover? with the 'new file in focus, using the 'I' keyboard command, you get the information screen? or does it scrape at that point...?

A proper debug might cash light on this issue.
Hmmm, I don't know about XBMC's file mode?

This is how I "explore" to the file in XBMC:

Videos > Files > "All Movies" (name of my source) > then it shows a list of all files in the source (ie, all files and folders from all 6 ext USB hard drives

Okay, when I highlight the file, it has no scraped information. However, when I pressed "i," it triggered an IMDB scrape. Although, the scrape is incomplete because it did not select a default thumb image.

When I go back to Movies, it now shows the newly scraped movie in my Recently Added list (added to the library) on the Home screen. However, it still doesn't (properly) update the library (with the rest of the new files), it does the scan but doesn't pick up any new files.

I restarted XBMC and it still doesn't update the library?
I think we have to go back a step,

I'm unsure if you have set content properly... you may not have enabled 'posters' in your scraper.
When you're looking at the information page of a scraped movie that has NO thumbnail cover, can you force a cover with 'get thumb'?
Do you have all your movies in separate folders?

You shouldn't be having this issues, if you've added 6 sources to "All Movies" it sounds like they're all in one bundle instead of six individual sources. It might be easier to handle if you segmented each drive to it's own title (and drive letter way down the alphabet so O/S doesn't play musical chairs with the drive path letters, each drive should have a different letter, manually assigned) and when you select something to play... you'll know if you have it on the drive connected. Getting into videos - files (confluence) you should be presented with 6 options and be able to see all files on the current drive, while going into Videos - movies you'll see the total combined list in the library. I suspect it's this set-up issue that is causing a path problem.

You need to toggle update library on start-up, in the settings>video>library

At this point a debug log would be useful posted at pastebin.com and linked to a message here.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...he_library
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708
Quote:I think we have to go back a step,

I'm unsure if you have set content properly... you may not have enabled 'posters' in your scraper.
Enable posters was already selected for all 4 sources offered in Artwork tab of IMDB scraper settings. Poster size is set to 1024 in General tab.

Quote:When you're looking at the information page of a scraped movie that has NO thumbnail cover, can you force a cover with 'get thumb'?
Yes.

Quote:Do you have all your movies in separate folders?
No.

Quote:You shouldn't be having this issues, if you've added 6 sources to "All Movies" it sounds like they're all in one bundle instead of six individual sources. It might be easier to handle if you segmented each drive to it's own title (and drive letter way down the alphabet so O/S doesn't play musical chairs with the drive path letters, each drive should have a different letter, manually assigned) and when you select something to play... you'll know if you have it on the drive connected. Getting into videos - files (confluence) you should be presented with 6 options and be able to see all files on the current drive, while going into Videos - movies you'll see the total combined list in the library. I suspect it's this set-up issue that is causing a path problem.
Thanks! I actually had it set up this way before, but selecting the "update library" command from various areas inside XBMC would never "trigger" a scrape for new files. I would always have to go into each source (which only contained 1 USB at the time, so I had 6 sources, one for each drive letter) and do a Scan For New Content. It was such an inconvenience to have to do this for 6 sources sequentially (since you can scan for content all at once and have the tasks queued up). I just assumed the Update Library was always broken.

I had to re-scrape my entire library because one time, I accidentally did a Clean Library while the surge strip powering all the ext hard drives was turning off and it deleted everything in my library! Wish there was a safety override on that, maybe if the drive letter is not online, popup a confirmation dialogue? But, anyway, that's a side issue.

Quote:You need to toggle update library on start-up, in the settings>video>library

This was already toggled on.

Quote:At this point a debug log would be useful posted at pastebin.com and linked to a message here.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...he_library
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708
I'll search how to make a debug log and post it, started w/the links you've provided.

Thanks!!!

UPDATE:

Here's the link to the log file: http://pastebin.com/TMesgtb9

Looks like you didn't turn on the debug.

14:35:52 T:1944 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

I don't know why you haven't updated to the latest stable Eden V11 it looks like you're still on RC2, do that. Get the latest weather underground, weather plus is no longer supported.

Just a quick overlook, and it would seem you have some sort of corruption in your libs and thumbs. From the information you have provided, it would seem you need to enable all the drives... and re-install from scratch, delete c:/users/your_computer_username/appdata/roaming install XBMC re-scrape. Your collection should come in fairly quickly if associated .nfo are in the same folder. I suggest you consider storing your media in separate folders, keeping all your media in one large collection along with their associated files will lead to clean-up and pathing issues; especially considering your drive layout across 6 external USB's. The thumbs issue will disappear as your fresh scrape corrects the error of missing thumbs etc. Watch out for drives that sleep, tickle them with an explorer window.
Do you have the 'use folder names for lookups' turned on?
That combined with putting all movies in their own folder, in the end is going to save you time and trouble.

Export your library before you do anything drastic. So you can import it again if that wasn't the cause.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Carefully follow the steps on Adding videos to the library (wiki)
Hi I had the same problem you were having when trying to update my library, turned out it was my choice of video source.

On other computers I had been using smb as the source but as I set my fathers computer up in a rush I accidentally set it to UPnP as thats what I use on my Google TV box in another house.
Swapping this over immediately solved the issue, having read through countless similar threads all asking if the user knew how to right click and update I felt I needed to join simply to post this.

Hopefully it helps someone else Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why won't XMBC detect new files when scanning for new content?0