No more shared thumbnails in XBMC 11?
Thanks Jonathon. It's just with a few threads around I was getting confused. I'll give it a go without path subs.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Hi,

Sorry but I'm a bit slow...

I'm using a central MySQL database here as well, I have also added a shared Thumnails folder via path substitution in advancedsetttings.xml. If I don't have a shared Thumnails folder all client does not get all the thumbs/fanart.

When a client adds a movie to the db, thumbs/fanart is downloaded and stored in the Thumbnails folder. If the Thumnails folder isn't shared the the thumbs/fanart is downloaded to the local Thumbnails folder. The problem is then that the db seems to store a reference to the thumb/fanart, and when a reference exists I can't get other clients to show the thumb/fanart (they can't access the local resources on the other client) nor can I get the other clients to (re)download thumbs/fanart again.

The reason thumbs/fanart isn't re-downloaded when updating the library is that there already exists a reference to a thumb/fanart (that is local to only one client.

Is there a way to "refresh" the Thumbnails folder without wiping the db?

JBravo: In Eden, yes, share thumbs.

In Frodo, don't.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

@jmarshall, thanks.

But is there a way to re-download all thumbs in Eden, e.g. if the Thumbnails folder is deleted by accident? The only way I have found is to show information and select refresh thumb/fanart, but this is per item...Perhaps it's possible by deleting the values from some table/columns in the db?
Just reading this, and correct me if im wrong, im also setting up multiple clients with mysql backend for my master.
If i use eden, still able to share and use the mysql database, and best is to use smb paths in the config of the master.
and the clients connect to mysql and also use the same smb paths as the master uses.
and i need to sync some files, the .DB files of the master to the client.

in frodo, above does not work? this is really not good.
These days lots of people share all data and media info, this is why i want everything central.
Server with raid and shareable. and clients connect. so we have only 1x all the data. also for thumbs and so.

and question, what if u put my master on nfs, compeet with my user and configs.
like this /home/xbmc/ behind this i have al my Videos Music Downloads Thumb etc.

boot my client, mount the nfs, and 2 clients are using the same info. ( only 1 client is used at the time )
does this work, or are there files, like the .db files that are always open/in use.

We really want 1 server with client for xmbc.

@Jbravo: Set content to None. Clear data. Set Content to Movies. Scan.

@thctlo: There is nothing anywhere that says that the mysql database support is removed. All that's changed is the form of the art cache.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

You should never share db files directly. XMBC uses SQLlite internally, and SQLlite does not handle concurrent accesses from different clients. If you would like to share a db, setup MySQL and according to the guidelines http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries

To share thumnails you need share the Thumbnails folder, either via path substitution or symlinks. With this setup there should be no other need to manually sync any files. Sharing the Thumbnails folder may introduce performance drawbacks.

If I understand jmarshall correctly, you are still able to use a central MySQL db in Frodo, but there is NO need to share the Thumnails folder. This due to the fact that each client will actaully download and store thumbs locally. The benefit with this approach is speed, and the drawback should be diskspace since each client will store the same data. Personally I would select speed over diskspace any day of the week.
I'm going to have to agree a bit with the OP. I too use a central MySQL DB and thumbnail folder on my server and have 3 different XBMC machines that hook up to it. I like the current implementation because I control when the living room TV does a library update (downloads thumbnails, etc). Those changes are immediately pushed to the other two XBMC machines without them ever having to perform a library update. I really like this feature as I don't want my wife to have to worry about library updates.

What is the point of having a centralized database if each machine still has to perform a library update?

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding how it's working now. What problem was/is attempting to be solved by making this change in the first place? Those who use a centralized thumbnail database on a local network are aware that they'll take a speed penalty and for me, it is worth the trade off. I have a gigabit internal network so the delay is maybe... MAYBE a second.
Thank you to everyone for this awesome software!
I have another question...

In the new implementation, suppose this scenario...

Machine one (living room machine) performs a library update. It goes out to the internet and downloads thumbnails and stores them locally to /localfolder/thumbnails (or something like that) and makes note of the location in the MySQL database.

Machine two (bedroom machine) immediately gets the MySQL update, but is unable to access the local folder on the living room machine. What does the bedroom machine then do? Does it re-download it from the internet and store it locally? If so would it change the location of the thumbnails in the MySQL database?

That seems like it would take a lot more time than downloading from a local source? Also, It seems like a lot more hits to websites that provide thumbnail art.

Or does it work like this...

Machine one downloads the art and saves it to a shared thumbnail folder somewhere on your local network, but also caches the art locally (So that it doesn't have to keep going back to the share).

Machine two gets the MySQL update with reference to the internal shared folder, and downloads and caches the artwork locally from the shared thumbnail folder.

That would make more sense. No multiple external downloading of thumbnails. You do take a space penalty due to cache on each machine, but it shouldn't be that substantial. I'm using OpenElec with a rather large library and it's working fine on an 8 Gig SDHC.

So is the new setup going to be like scenario one, two, or something else?
Thank you to everyone for this awesome software!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=133217

Read every single one of my posts there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No more shared thumbnails in XBMC 11?0