Multiple sources for single movie (different quality)
Hi,

Not sure how useful this would be, of if enough people would want it, but doesn't hurt to ask.

I would like to have multiple sources available for a movie or tv show. These sources would be the same movie/episode but be different quality, perhaps a different version (directors cut, alternate cut, extended cut etc, or 720p, 1080p, SD etc).

instead of the movie appearing multiple times in the library as a different version, it appears once but when you go to play it, a popup asks you what "version" you want to play (with a option in the settings to default to "1080p" or something so it doesnt always ask you if you dont want it too).

This would be handy with different versions, but also handy for low powered clients like the raspberrypi which struggle with the really high quality stuff.

any thoughts?
Couldn't you do that with movie sets?
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
yeah ive been doing that, but not ideal, the same movie appears multiple times.
(2012-07-02, 12:06)reven Wrote: yeah ive been doing that, but not ideal, the same movie appears multiple times.

pull up the context menu and add the quality to the name

Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-07-02, 12:46)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-07-02, 12:06)reven Wrote: yeah ive been doing that, but not ideal, the same movie appears multiple times.

pull up the context menu and add the quality to the name

do you mean "Edit Title" and add "[1080P]" or something on the end? if so then that still has the movie appearing multiple times instead of once.

movie sets work ok but not perfect. eg if i had "Batman Begins", "Batman Begins [Extended]", "Batman Begins 1080p", "Batman Begins 720p", i would have to have a "Batman Begins" movie set, but ideally i would want "Batman Begins" to be under then "Batman" Movie set which has other batman movies. so would need multiple levels of movie sets.

would be ideal if it worked similar to how boxee handled multiple sources, you would just see one instance of the movie, but when you went to play it, it asked you from where would you like to play it, hulu, cbs, or local etc.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Movie_sets
Quote:Once this is done (scanning library) you’ll need to export your library as a series of separate .NFO files. This can be done by going to Settings > Video > Library and choosing Export Library. Make sure you choose the separate files option, and a bunch of .NFO files (one for every movie) will be dumped to the directories the movies are stored in.

For every film you want in a set add a set tag with the set name in it's .nfo file:
Code:
<set>I am the fucking Batman</set>

So every film's nfo file you add that set tag to will be in the set called "I am the fucking Batman".
Even if the film has nothing to do with being the fucking Batman. This way you could also add the latest "My Little Pony" to your Batman movies just like i did. But you probably want to be different and call the set something like:
Code:
<set>Batman</set>
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
yeah but inside that movie set i would have multiple instances of "Batman Begins"

for example if i had the following movies
Batman Begins
Batman Begins [Extended Cut]
Batman Begins [Year One Cut]
Batman Begins [720p]
Batman Begins [SD]
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight [Extended Cut]
The Dark Knight [720p]
The Dark Knight [SD]
The Hulk

I would like to put those movies (except) hulk into a movie set called "Batman", but then I would have multiple instances of the same movie. So i would like a movie set inside a movie set, or preferably merge all "Batman Begins" into one movie, that let me choose which version to play via a popup menu when i went to play it. Same with "The Dark Knight"
Eeeh. Maybe you could try sets in smart playlists? So:

Smart playlist called Batman.
And then all Batman Begins as a set next to a set of The Dark Knight ect. within that playlist.

That way you could even make the playlist a favorite and put it on your homescreen or as sub menu under movies.
Or go to the feature suggestion section and suggest the use of sets within sets.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
just found out plex does support this

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Freque...mething.3F

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topi...e-quality/

not saying since plex supports this xbmc should, just pointing this out in case i wasn't explaining the feature well enough or why its useful.
What you mean is like in tv shows it gives you seasons and each season has its own episodes.

he most likely wants so when he selects one movie, a popup or selector comes where quality can be selected (and what source is used)

looking for something similar myself
(2012-10-11, 00:34)Magix Wrote: he most likely wants so when he selects one movie, a popup or selector comes where quality can be selected (and what source is used)

looking for something similar myself
exactly
Agree, this would be a very cool feature. I have around 100 movies in 3D and also have the 2D version. Instead of showing the movie in my library, it would be nice to just have it show once and then have a pop-up whether to play the 2D or the 3D version. Both have the same IMDB, but I gave them a different name.

Thanks for considering this!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I am also desperate for this to be implemented. I'd really like to have 3 files for each movie, 1080p, 720p and SD. Plex has implemented this but frustratingly, it's only been implemented for the media server running on Mac hardware. But regardless of this the playback on XBMC has always seemed smoother so I'm happy to ditch Plex.

I have a HP Microserver with 8TB of storage and several users each with Zotac Zbox's. I'd like users in my household to be able to choose their quality options via a pop up before playback. 1080p prefered, but if playback is choppy they could choose 720p. Finally SD would be available for mobile devices such as tablets and phones etc (when the Android player becomes fully available of course). For me this feature, if implemented, would provide the flexibility I've been searching for. Plex has already introduced a mobile app for playback but Plex's transcoding of 1080p to a mobile device means the quality if pretty awful, not to mention that my Microserver can barely handle the intensity of the transcoding very well.

As others have said, I would only want one entry to appear in my library to avoid confusion. If this could become a feature of XBMC one day I would be eternally grateful for your efforts. Incidentally I've been a user of XBMC since day one! I ditched XBMP on my original xbox for XBMC back in the early 2000's. Never thought I'd still be using it today... Smile
I also totally support that request. That is *the* killer feature that would put XBMC light-years ahead of the competition.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple sources for single movie (different quality)2