Poor performance
I've been thinking about the poor performance of my bedroom XBMC box (zotaz ID36) and wonder if it is just underpowered for XBMC. My self built living room PC uses an nVidia 430GT for the graphics but aside from that the specs are pretty similar. Do I maybe need a newer model of Zotac or just build a new PC for the room.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
When you say poor performance are you referring to actual playback being poor performance or just the menus and navigation in XBMC?

For both systems I assume you're playing everything off the server in your signature? No network speed issues to the bedroom compared to the living room?

What are you running on your Zotac? Windows? Linux? Do you have current drivers? How much memory do you have installed? What are your video playback settings in XBMC?
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

I'll check that stuff when I get home. I put a 256GB SSD in it and I believe 8GB RAM with Windows 8 RP. And yes, everything off the Synology Diskstation.

I tried the Linux version of XBMC but had some problem and I can't remember what it was. I wonder if it would run better. I wouldn't use it in my living room as there's no HD audio in the Linux version last I knew.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Are you using wired network or wireless in your bedroomHuh

Can't say much for Windows 8, haven't used it at all but that could be part of the problem since it hasn't been widely used on here yet to sort out any potential issues and those atom processors aren't the most powerful things out there so something lighter may help.

If you are interested in a linux version of xbmc, try Openelec. Their ION builds say they are their most stable and widely used builds.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD

(2012-07-02, 15:53)patseguin Wrote: I've been thinking about the poor performance of my bedroom XBMC box (zotaz ID36) and wonder if it is just underpowered for XBMC.

You should quit wondering. It is too underpowered.

There is no point in choosing atom or zacate when g530/g620 or A6 can be had for the same amount of less money and will provide a much greater experience.

(2012-07-03, 00:11)assassin Wrote:
(2012-07-02, 15:53)patseguin Wrote: I've been thinking about the poor performance of my bedroom XBMC box (zotaz ID36) and wonder if it is just underpowered for XBMC.

You should quit wondering. It is too underpowered.

There is no point in choosing atom or zacate when g530/g620 or A6 can be had for the same amount of less money and will provide a much greater experience.

Not sure the point of that for somebody who already has the device. The point now is making it work as good as it can. I think Openelec will be his best bet, although he won't be able to play back blurays with that device but your playback and xbmc performance should be pretty damn smooth from what I'm reading on their forums.

Because he's questioning what he has and wondering if he should buy something similar (a "newer model Zotac") or a "new PC".

I say the latter because as I stated the Zotac's just aren't worth the money, imo, when there are better options available.

So its very on point, actually.
(2012-07-03, 01:16)Mick1152 Wrote: Not sure the point of that for somebody who already has the device. The point now is making it work as good as it can. I think Openelec will be his best bet, although he won't be able to play back blurays with that device but your playback and xbmc performance should be pretty damn smooth from what I'm reading on their forums.

I happen to have similar device although it's not a Zotac and it's not atom, mine is Vvikoo Mini Top E350D (Zacate E350) which runs on OpenELEC 2.0 Beta 4 - Fusion build from a SD Card. Pretty damn smooth according to my eyes. I however, never tried to run XBMC from Windows, because it was my initial intention to run OpenELEC from SD Card, saved me from paying extra money for hard disk, and hey, it has things I wanted, built-in CIR, WiFi, eSata, USB3 and VESA mounted. The only problem I'm facing is that OpenELEC failed to identify the Atheros-based WiFi.
I run a Revo 1600 with Aeon Nox...that is a pretty heavy skin and a pretty low powered machine

may not be as snappy as something newer but it runs and plays everything just fine

I run XBMCbuntu though
WE ALL WE GOT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Poor performance0