3D HTPC IvyBridge Build (now w/ pics)
(2012-07-06, 00:20)mikev927 Wrote: ill post some pics after i get some more blus ripped. taking about 29 min per blu to rip... using makemkv and just ripping movies
Sweet....you're almost double my Core Duo ripping speed.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Ripping is almost completely dependent on the speed of your optical drive.
(2012-07-06, 03:47)assassin Wrote: Ripping is almost completely dependent on the speed of your optical drive.
Not really....I tested this idea a long time ago....I used the same brand and model of BD-ROM on three HTPC's with three different CPU's.....the HTPC with the fastest CPU gave me the fastest ripping time.......and I never build HTPC without BD-ROM.....too many RedBox's out here.....Big Grin

(2012-07-06, 04:09)bluray Wrote:
(2012-07-06, 03:47)assassin Wrote: Ripping is almost completely dependent on the speed of your optical drive.
Not really....I tested this idea a long time ago....I used the same brand and model of BD-ROM on three HTPC's with three different CPU's.....the HTPC with the fastest CPU gave me the fastest ripping time.......and I never build HTPC without BD-ROM.....too many RedBox's out here.....Big Grin

I have tested it as well. The limiting speed for straight rips is the optical drive. If you are transcoding, re-encoding, shrinking, etc the the CPU is the weakest link. Its definitely not the CPU so you may want to re-do your testing.

Many many others have tested it besides you and I. Plenty info readily available via google on this subject.

Edit: I did a quick 30 second google search and tried to find a source that I didn't post at regularly (there are a ton from AVS and others). This is a thread where the OP asked this exact question: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2080899

As I said there are many many more out there.

(2012-07-06, 04:31)assassin Wrote: I have tested it as well. The limiting speed for straight rips is the optical drive. If you are transcoding, re-encoding, shrinking, etc the the CPU is the weakest link. Its definitely not the CPU so you may want to re-do your testing.
I did the tests a while ago. This is when BD-ROM is still new in the market. I used the same BD-ROM on three PC's. I remember the PC with fastest CPU come out on top. I haven't try this test lately, and thing might have changed now. When I have a chance, I might have to try the same test again. It's tough to install the same BD-ROM in three PC's though. The slots are not the same size anymore......it was much easier to install the same BD-ROM in the standard desktop case....

Yes, transcoding, video editing, etc are heavily depending on CPU......

actually when i ripped just the movies themselves it did Jurassic Park 2 in 24 minutes and Jurassic Park 3 in 22 minutes... the first one i guess i left some extras on there i need to get rid of. gonna take care of that and finish setting up the system when i get home with metadata and ill post some finished product pics... it really came out awesome
PICS!!!!

THIS IS SOOOOO AWESOME!!!
Its ripping at about 25 min per bluray. I couldn't get adventures of tintin to rip though. It would keep failing on me at random points.
I still need to do a lot of set up with appearance.
Cool helicopter.....

Good stuff! enjoy...
thanks! im going to post some more pics as soon as i get some more stuff loaded up... cant believe how much of the 3tb drive i ate up already!!! this is so addicting...
congrats on the build mike Big Grin

I'm planning on making a build almost exactly like this. I just have a few questions...

1, Is the blue power button LED on the case annoyingly bright? Is it possible to disable the LED light?
2. How is the Intel 4000 HD holding up during navigating between menus and 1080p playback in XBMC? Notice any stuttering/lag ?
3. How is noise volume with the NMEDIAPC HTPC 5000B?
4. Is everything staying cool inside the case?

Thanks for the pix! I always check the builds that have pix,..I always see something to drool about.

In regards to the ripping and one failing in different places.
I've had the same issue. At least for me,..it's been a dirty or scratched DVD.
Having cleaned or tried another copy,..it then works.
(2012-07-08, 11:15)stacked Wrote: congrats on the build mike Big Grin

I'm planning on making a build almost exactly like this. I just have a few questions...

1, Is the blue power button LED on the case annoyingly bright? Is it possible to disable the LED light?
2. How is the Intel 4000 HD holding up during navigating between menus and 1080p playback in XBMC? Notice any stuttering/lag ?
3. How is noise volume with the NMEDIAPC HTPC 5000B?
4. Is everything staying cool inside the case?

As you can see in the picture the power filter has the same blue lights so it actually doesn't bother me at all. I honestly don't pay attention to it.
The graphics processor holds up great. Haven't had any issues so far, but i'll keep you posted.
The only thing I can hear is the fans cause theres 3 of them, but its so small, once the movie starts you don't hear it.
The case is actually wildly cool, even with it not having a large opening to breathe. Last night I ripped about 15 blus and even after it was like it was just turned on.
(2012-07-08, 13:26)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I've had the same issue. At least for me,..it's been a dirty or scratched DVD.
Having cleaned or tried another copy,..it then works.

Thanks Gort!
I'll def keep that in mind and give that a go.
HD4000 will be just fine. I use a HD2000 and HD1000 everyday for my personal HTPCs.
(2012-07-08, 11:15)stacked Wrote: 1, Is the blue power button LED on the case annoyingly bright? Is it possible to disable the LED light?
You are probably can disable it by disconnect LED wire.....

(2012-07-08, 11:15)stacked Wrote: 2. How is the Intel 4000 HD holding up during navigating between menus
This part of the process is heavily rely on CPU, and iVy should have plenty of power to navigate XBMC smoothly....
(2012-07-08, 11:15)stacked Wrote: and 1080p playback in XBMC? Notice any stuttering/lag ?
You shouldn't have any problem playback 1080P using HD4000, because I have no problem using HD2000.....

The LED on the nMediaPC 1000b isn't too bad. It's not like a Lian-Li blue LED to read by Smile I really like the nMediaPC cases for how they look on an AV stand.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D HTPC IvyBridge Build (now w/ pics)1