Win Windows Server 2012 Storage Spaces - What SATA Controller Card/MB?
Hello everyone,

Windows 2012 is coming out shortly, and I'm pretty excited about their storage spaces feature, which I plan to utilize. I was looking at the 20 HD build, however there were some things that didn't translate over well.

For one, the 8 SATA port card does not support 3TB drives (from the reviews on newegg).

I'd like to get the NORCO 4224 case, however figuring out what motherboard and SATA controller cards can be used to support that level of functionality is not easy!

Anyone have any thoughts?
Not really specific to windows but I believe that is the card a lot of unraid users use and I believe they are able to use 3tb drives although I know they usually flash a diff/newer firmware on it

cant go wrong with a Supermicro Mobo either....not cheap but very solid server mobo's
but of course not for sure on compatibility with Server 2012
WE ALL WE GOT
Thanks for the reply, I was unaware of any firmware for that card, but I did find it, and supposedly it does support 3TB drives!

I have the 6Gbit/s version 2 of that card (AOC-SAS2LP-MV8) working fine with 2k8 based server.
I just found that card on PROVANTAGE (the 2nd version of that card), and likely that's what I'm going to go with (2 of them).

Now I just need to find a worthwhile motherboard and I'm all set Smile
(2012-07-04, 00:36)Ogi010 Wrote: I just found that card on PROVANTAGE (the 2nd version of that card), and likely that's what I'm going to go with (2 of them).

Hi Ogi010,
Did you buy this card (either the SASLP-MV8 or SAS2LP-MV8)? Did it work with 2012? So far the supported OS only list 2008 on the Supermicro site.
(2013-02-06, 05:37)thedriver Wrote:
(2012-07-04, 00:36)Ogi010 Wrote: I just found that card on PROVANTAGE (the 2nd version of that card), and likely that's what I'm going to go with (2 of them).

Hi Ogi010,
Did you buy this card (either the SASLP-MV8 or SAS2LP-MV8)? Did it work with 2012? So far the supported OS only list 2008 on the Supermicro site.

Due to the poor performance in windows server 2012, I actually went on to use UNRAID.
When you say poor performance, does that mean you had it working though in 2012? Did you need drivers or was it visible natively?
I'm trying to find a SATA controller for 2012.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Server 2012 Storage Spaces - What SATA Controller Card/MB?0