HDMI Audio Out (Nvidia 8600M)
Hey guys,

Well it's been a struggle. I've never used linux before and all these commands and such have been confusing. However, I have gotten HDMI video to work for my setup. I use a Dell M1530 with an Nvidia card running to a Sharp TV via HDMI.

I have been scouring the 'net for help on this but after running "alsa -l" I can see that the HDMI audio is not even detected.

Does anyone have any help they can offer me?

When in XBMC itself, HDMI shows up as an option. I have tried selecting various setups and it's just not cooperating. It'd be nice to have HDMI audio in XBMCbuntu too, so that Chromium etc can use it.

Thanks so much,

-Frustrated LINUX/XBMC noob.
I just want to add that now when I run the "alsa -l" command it says:

/sbin/alsa and lists a bunch of options. I've tried sudo alsa-reload, and a bunch of other commands, but I can no longer get "alsa -l" to work. This is killing me!
can you copy and paste exactly what it says? Im pretty sure the command you mean to type is 'aplay -l'
ah yes I was putting in the wrong command thank you. Head spinning lol.

OK...output from aplay -l is as follows:

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
subdevices: 1/1
subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
I think the nVidia 8000 series requires a cable connected between a SPDIF header on the motherboard and one on the card. You'll then need to choose probably plughw:0,1 or hw:0,1 as custom devices when setting up audio output.
That sounds utterly and entirely out of my league. Am I completely out of luck on creating an XBMC box?? Would I be better off running XBMC through Windows (sound issues-wise)?

I was afraid something like this may be at fault, but am crossing my fingers that somebody has figured out a way to make the M1530 into an XBMC unit without hacking into the laptop.

My intent was to have it running entirely through the HDMI to my HDTV, like I used to with VLC Player in windows. Obviously, the XBMC interface is what sold me on trying this...sigh...
what information does 'cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version' give you
Just noticed that it's a mobile GPU ala a laptop. You shouldn't need the cable.

Try this:
In XBMC do the following:
System -> Settings -> System -> Audio output -> Audio output device -> Custom
Type in plughw:0,1
Play a video file to see if you have sound, if not try hw:0,1 instead of plughw:0,1

Also, post the output of the command stayupthetree gave you. You may need to update your nvidia drivers. The thing is, since it's a laptop the Linux side of things may not work as well without more effort on your part, but definitely make sure you have the nVidia Linux drivers installed and running correctly.

You can also drop to a terminal and try the following:

speaker-test -D plughw:0,1 (or hw:0,1) -c 2

The speaker-test command pumps pink noise through the device specified and the number of channel (-c) specified. This is a very basic test. Also make sure your audio outputs aren't muted with the following:

alsamixer

Once in the alsamixer gui, hit f6 and make sure you select STAC92xx Digital as the device. Go through and make sure none of the Playback devices have MM in the bottom square. The MM means that they're muted. If they are muted, hit the "M" key and then the up arrow until they're at 100% if you get the option. Sometimes they're either muted or they aren't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio Out (Nvidia 8600M)0