First XBMC set up - Red sound icon always on
Smile 
Hi all.

A big hello from a first time posting Newbie here Smile

I've only recently decided to build my first home media centre based on a Mac, connected to external HDD for media storage. The Mac is connected to a DAC, then to a 2 channel stereo amplifier (a 5.1 will be added) via a toslink cable. Not connected to a TV as yet as I'm just at the start out point - and the new TV is yet to arrive !

XBMC has been successfully set up, DVD's ripped with MakeMKV, Ripit and Mac DVD Ripper Pro. Data scraping set up with IMBD so the few ripped movies now have cover art and media info.

I have one problem in that I have a red sound icon in the top left hand corner, which looks like a mute icon and it will not go away. When ripped DVD's are first added to XBMC the sound setting is set to -60.00DB, this has to be re-adjusted to 0.0DB, then sound returns.

Any ideas as to what I have done wrong?

I would be very grateful if some of the more experienced XBMC bods could please point this newbie in the right direction?

--

EDIT: After a bit of searching I found this post (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119089) and wondered if this was a similar issue? If so, I can't find out where / which / how I need to change the code - could someone please point me in the right direction?

Yeah that is the same problem. On Windows (never tried this on mac) i would suggest you to press F8 (maybe 2x) for the icon to go away.
And during play go into the OSD (audio settings during playback, where your play, skip and stop buttons are). Make sure your audio settings are correct and set it to use these settings on all videos.

Or like the other post you found says:
Go to GUISettings.XML that you can find in:
/Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/
Open with a text editor (you might need admin rights)
Find:
<volumelevel>-6000</volumelevel>
And change to:
<volumelevel>-0</volumelevel>
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Many thanks MassIV. I've used F8 and that got rid of the issue,. Checked the playback settings and reset the settings and made them default. Seems to have worked just fine.
Bingo - Thank you!
while f8 took away the icon, i still have no sound. i had sound for half the movie and now i can;t finish
Make sure XBMC's internal volume control is at it's maximum with the + key.
Doh ... Cool!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First XBMC set up - Red sound icon always on1