Win Margro PVR choppy video on some channels
Hi,

my setup is based on a TV server 1.2.3 and latest xbmc (frodo - btw I tried also Eden Final with no luck) on a single seat environment.
Channel change is pretty fast, no missing hits at all.

My only complain is about video rendering: SD channels and part of my HD channels play fine (DXVA, deinterlace DXVA Best); but some channels (FOX HD, FOX LIFE HD, CRIME HD on a Sky it regular subscription) are totally unwatchable: pixelation, video goes back and forth at random times, fps goes down to 4-5.

Is there an explanation? I tried every combination XBMC side with no luck. Mediaportal play all my channels fine, both SD and HD. I think to be not CPU or GPU bound: my pc it's powered by a quad core 2.33ghz and a GT430 card.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance for any reply,
Paolo.

update: DXVA - decoder problem of status 1 with 255 - this is the erroe I get in the log...I found other people having same issues... any advice?
Windows 7 32bit Home Professional - ASUS E35M1-M PRO - OCZ SSD 50GB drive - Mini ITX case - HDMI -> Onkyo TX SR608 > HDMI - LG PX950N 60" plasma TV | Eden pre11.0 beta 3 DDDamian build
Same problem, I can't use DXVA (so I don't use XBMC for instance) because of this. I already made screen copy of the error.

Can we hope a start of answer ?
I had that exact problem on BBC HD with my windows machine running the mediaportal tv server too, went to ubuntu (vdr backend) since then it's working perfectly fine. So I guess it has something to do with either dxva or some other xbmc for windows specific part.

Posted about it here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=125917
Same problem here with an 8400GS and a GT220. I was thinking about getting a Sapphire HD6570 but now I'm not sure if this is a XBMC problem with DXVA or if my graphic cards aren't powerful enough (with DVBViewer and DXVA I have no problems at all)

One thing is clear, the HD channels with problems have one thing in common: the scan type is "MBAFF"

Code:
D/String                        : 1056 (0x420)
CompleteName                     : test_xbmc.ts
Format                           : MPEG-TS
FileSize/String                  : 46.7 MiB
Duration/String                  : 31s 370ms
OverallBitRate/String            : 12.5 Mbps

Video
ID/String                        : 163 (0xA3)
MenuID/String                    : 29953 (0x7501)
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format_Profile                   : [email protected]
Format_Settings_CABAC/String     : Yes
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 4 frames
Format_Settings_GOP              : M=1, N=48
CodecID                          : 27
Duration/String                  : 30s 460ms
BitRate/String                   : 11.5 Mbps
Width/String                     : 1 920 pixels
Height/String                    : 1 080 pixels
DisplayAspectRatio/String        : 16:9
FrameRate/String                 : 25.000 fps
ColorSpace                       : YUV
ChromaSubsampling                : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String                  : 8 bits
ScanType/String                  : MBAFF
ScanOrder/String                 : Top Field First
Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.223
StreamSize/String                : 41.9 MiB (90%)
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Could someone with an ATI card test this clip with DXVA enabled?

Thanks in advance.
I tried this clip with my ATI HD 4600 series og margro build 10-06-2012: XBMC v11.0 Eden PVR v3 and it play fine. There is some corruption 1st second of clip, but then all fine.
(2012-07-07, 15:17)KRA77 Wrote: I tried this clip with my ATI HD 4600 series og margro build 10-06-2012: XBMC v11.0 Eden PVR v3 and it play fine. There is some corruption 1st second of clip, but then all fine.

Thanks a lot!

The clip is unwatchable with my two Nvidia cards so now I know what card I'll get next time Smile
I can confirm that it doesn't play with DXVA on my Geforce GT540M either. WIthout DXVA it is playable. The funny thing is that MPC-HC and Windows Mediaplayer can play it without problems.
It seems to be an XBMC specific problem.
I've tested both the Eden and pre-Frodo and both have the same problem.
It is not specific to the PVR builds. I can reproduce the problem with the official Eden and Frodo nightlies.

I would suggest to send Team XBMC a bugreport with this clip attachted/linked metioning that it does not play on Nvida + DXVA.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
(2012-07-08, 16:38)margro Wrote: I would suggest to send Team XBMC a bugreport with this clip attachted/linked metioning that it does not play on Nvida + DXVA.

Done

AFAIR, no build since DXVA was added to XBMC played fine those 1080i streams. Back in the day I tried a linux install with VAAPI enabled on my 8400GS and it showed the same problem so I always thought it was my card that wasn't powerful enough.
Good news, thanks to all :-)
I just like to add, I also tested the clip on my OpenElec nvidia ion build with hw/acc turned on, it played fine.
I got a Radeon HD6450 and now all HD channels play perfectly. And, as a bonus, I was getting dropped frames with deinterlacing enabled and vsync on with my GT220 but now is perfect Smile
Just bought a new Nvidia GT640 and I still have this issue. Some of my HD channels i cant watch. Any news on this ?

Would it work to use DSPlayer as internal player to play Live TV ? Anyone tried it ?
I did some more testing with the provided sample and I found out that the problem is solved when using the latest ffmpeg code.

The fix seems to be FFmpeg/commit/b5e6aa6c3337dc740d67aa68116530fe604bae76

After applying this commit to both the Eden and the Frodo ffmpeg versions I can play the HD clip almost without artifacts (only the 1st second) on my NVidia card. Same fix works also for the BCC HD clip from the other thread. I will do some more testing on another computer which showed more artifacts...

For other people that want to test this fix: try this patched (Eden only !!) FFmpeg DLL avcodec-52.dll (put it in the system\players\dvdplayer folder) .
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
(2012-07-22, 21:06)margro Wrote: The fix seems to be FFmpeg/commit/b5e6aa6c3337dc740d67aa68116530fe604bae76

It makes sense because only streams with the MBAFF flag were problematic.
(2012-07-22, 21:06)margro Wrote: For other people that want to test this fix: try this patched (Eden only !!) FFmpeg DLL avcodec-52.dll (put it in the system\players\dvdplayer folder) .

For your information no problem with HD channels with this patch ;-)
(TNT France)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Margro PVR choppy video on some channels0